Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 12:55 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
Weather is not as hellish as people portrayed it as being. The evenings are balmy, tropical-like, and pleasant and it's very nice here today!
Just wait lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 12:58 PM

937 posts, read 743,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Just wait lol.
You just have to deal with it the way the Spaniards do. Most every place has a few months whether it be winter or summer where you must hunker down, acclimate, and suffer through it.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:07 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
You just have to deal with it the way the Spaniards do. Most every place has a few months whether it be winter or summer where you must hunker down, acclimate, and suffer through it.
Unfortunately not an option for everyone, I spend about 25-50% of my time outside, on sites or in client's mechanical rooms and it can easily get to 120 degrees plus humidity in some of the rooms I spend time in lol. My roommate is a land land surveyor and he prefers winter too, because you can always put more clothes on lol.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:25 PM

937 posts, read 743,990 times
Quote:
Unfortunately not an option for everyone, I spend about 25-50% of my time outside, on sites or in client's mechanical rooms and it can easily get to 120 degrees plus humidity in some of the rooms I spend time in lol. My roommate is a land land surveyor and he prefers winter too, because you can always put more clothes on lol.
Well I can see how that would be hellish. Some of the young men setting up my utilities were out in the heat wave in early June and they were some of the people throwing out disapproving jabs about our move. The somewhat passive aggressive comments probably were in reaction to that. One mover on the day we moved in noted with somewhat of an edge that we should have never even bothered to have brought skis or winter jackets to Dallas when he spotted those items in the corner of the garage. He said something like, "You will never ski again. Don't need those skis. You will never wear a jacket again here." I made a comment like, "Whew, it's hot." He piped up looking me right in the eye, "It always hot in Dallas. Always. Never cools down." So here he is working in the heat, and it does make a person pretty sour and jaded about their lot in life at that moment of having to toil in the crippling heat. I can see how it makes people working in it bitter.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:55 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
The $90 initial fee sounds delightful. The $60 is too good to be true. In Colorado, it was upwards of $400 per vehicle. Definitely will check out some farmers' markets for some fresh local goods!

Weather is not as hellish as people portrayed it as being. The evenings are balmy, tropical-like, and pleasant and it's very nice here today!
Yeah. Today is very odd. I drove up yesterday and wasn’t expecting this.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:00 PM

692 posts, read 855,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
Someone else said cicadas and that was my first thought too. I haven't really noticed them that much this year, though. But maybe I'm just tuning them out.
Grackles, dude. They're grackles.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:27 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
The challenge with Columbia, TN (or Franklin, etc.) will be finding a job that doesn't involve commuting to Nashville and pays enough.
I'm retired and so is my husband, so this would be a retirement location.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:48 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
While I would move to Denver if the opportunity opened up, I actually passed an opportunity to move to Austin.

I don't have a self esteem complex with Dallas, I love the city, I'm a fan of it's teams, I came here pragmatically and I love the city. I don't think I'll stay here forever, but I don't regret coming here one bit.
You proved my point here. For you Austin isn't "better" than Dallas but Denver certainly is for you. For me, Austin is far better than both Denver and Dallas COMBINED.

Now do you see what I'm saying. All of your comments are tempered and when you compare to Denver you have a self esteem issue.

It's not about "I don't regret coming here" which is a quasi-negative comment. It's about "I love this city and it's awesome."

You'll see the latter in Austin but the former in Dallas (and Houston).

Just stating the facts...

Old 06-20-2018, 03:48 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I'm retired and so is my husband, so this would be a retirement location.
Then bon voyage!!

Old 06-20-2018, 03:50 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Wow -- that's quite a work of fiction. If there's anything Dallas is, it's self-confident. You couldn't be more completely wrong about Dallas. Have you ever met anyone from Dallas? Not someone who lives here, but someone from here?
My siblings live in Dallas. I've spent a LOT of time here.

If Dallas is so great, prove to me right now why it is better than Denver.

I can give 100 reasons why Austin is better than Denver and I can keep going...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas