Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 12:39 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vailbaby View Post
And people have discovered that! The state is not an igloo. lol the weather is SO mild now. I’m not even sure the last time me or the kids wore our “heavy” coats other than to go skiing. Forget even sledding in our neighborhood. Those days are long gone. It snows and next day it’s 70 degrees and melted. Up until about 5 years ago my parents never had A/C in their house. For me it’s the perfect climate and that’s really the main thing I will miss.
My brother rarely turns on the heat and he lives in Dallas. Whatever savings on A/C you have there you make up for heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
lol camping in cold weather a time or two doesn't make you an expert. Water freezes, I'm glad you discovered that lol. I hope you remembered to keep some in your bag with you lol.

Eagle Scout? I'm so sorry, I didn't realize I was dealing with a total badass tough guy lol

I've worked outside in 10 degree weather and 100 degree weather for prolonged periods and I prefer the colder temp, which again, is just my preference.
I agree, it's just a preference just like I prefer 100 over 10. I prefer it over 20, 30, and 40 too.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:48 PM

937 posts, read 743,990 times
Quote:
And people have discovered that! The state is not an igloo. lol the weather is SO mild now. I’m not even sure the last time me or the kids wore our “heavy” coats other than to go skiing. Forget even sledding in our neighborhood. Those days are long gone. It snows and next day it’s 70 degrees and melted. Up until about 5 years ago my parents never had A/C in their house. For me it’s the perfect climate and that’s really the main thing I will miss.
You are absolutely right that the climate is very very nice there. Keeping your windows open at night is the best. There can be long stretches of bright, sunny days and the more sanguine side of a person may even long for a grey, dreary day or two lol. It's nice ringing in Halloween with the cool, brisk weather there with fall hitting around early-mid Oct. A muggy, stuffy Halloween isn't the most festive and even worse if it's humid still on Thanksgiving. Hopefully, here in DFW, there will at least be somewhat of a chill in the air by Thanksgiving!

Old 06-21-2018, 02:23 PM

95 posts, read 123,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
My brother rarely turns on the heat and he lives in Dallas. Whatever savings on A/C you have there you make up for heat.

Which makes me wonder... what’s with all the fireplaces in homes in dallas? Is it strictly aesthetic reasons?! The one in the living room looks kinda cool and is aesthetically pleasing but the one in the bedroom is just an eyesore taking up space. I have no idea if the previous owners chose it as an “upgrade” or if that’s standard in master rooms. All the houses we looked at definitely wanted to emphasize the fireplaces in their flyers.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:33 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,593 times
Quote:
Which makes me wonder... what’s with all the fireplaces in homes in dallas? Is it strictly aesthetic reasons?! The one in the living room looks kinda cool and is aesthetically pleasing but the one in the bedroom is just an eyesore taking up space. I have no idea if the previous owners chose it as an “upgrade” or if that’s standard in master rooms. All the houses we looked at definitely wanted to emphasize the fireplaces in their flyers.
What price range are you looking at? I think in the 20ish houses we looked at while house hunting (granted it was 2009) we only saw 1 house with a fireplace in the master.

I was born and raised in DFW and we very, very rarely used a fireplace. Growing up I can only remember using our fireplace 2 or 3 times. I've lived in this house since 2009 and I've never used the fireplace. It's a gas fireplace, so it doesn't require a lot of work like a wood burning. I'm just not a fireplace person.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:39 PM

8,146 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:

It can get cold. Like 10 degrees at night with very strong wind. Several years ago there was a streak with 10 days or so continuously below freezing. Our living room gets chilly, so we use ours.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:53 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Which makes me wonder... what’s with all the fireplaces in homes in dallas?
Fireplaces in most tract homes are mostly decorative but it does get cold in Dallas every winter so they can be useful as well.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:41 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
The year of the infamous Super Bowl ice storm we lost power for several days and the roads were too icy to drive on. The fireplaces made it the house bearable. We all slept in the master bedroom in front of the fireplace to keep warm.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:47 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
I think they are mostly an aesthetic thing.

I had one in a condo I lived in in college, my brother also did in a different condo. When I lived in Uptown i had a fireplace which I don't think we even used one time. Like, hot tubs they have a fairly short window of usefulness here, but it's still a nice feature. My current house doesn't have one, so we got a fire pit for out back.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Read my other posts.

Dallasites have fireplaces in master bedrooms because they believe that's what you "should" have.

I've never seen a fireplace in a master bedroom in Austin in all the years I've lived here.

We have a fireplace in our living room and when it's 30 degrees out, it's very nice and cozy. It's also a good way to burn some of the logs we get from our various oak trees. It's either that or I put them in the smoker for brisket.

My cat, in particular, loves when the fireplace is going. He sits right by it, warming up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas