Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 05:52 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Is the average age of the last several posters over 21? Literally I'm horrified for our country if you jokers ever actually take charge.

One of their type is President now, so... The downfall of society has already commenced LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 08:57 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Yea but Dallas has 12 lakes within 80 miles to cool off...

Old 06-30-2018, 09:03 PM

When you say housing is expensive compared to the VAST majority of the country, that's a bad statement. Frankly, large metro areas are going to have higher housing costs. Compared to Denver, DFW Housing IS cheaper but it average/median and per square foot. Its not even close! I know someone who moved from DFW to Denver four years and spoke to her last year because of a job offer I got in Denver. She said its EASILY 20% higher there.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:08 PM

Dallas is NOT ugly. The are beautiful neighborhoods with great tree cover and very FEW large inland metro areas have the lake shores that D/fW has. Please don't tell me about a ton of other places because I've seen many. Denver is flat and frankly a lot more brown that I thought. Chicago has a great lake front but its flat as a billiard table. The west coast has its beauty but with so little rain the last 20 years, Its disheartening to see the lack of greenery.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:11 PM

Boston has a lot of college life for its size so I think businessmen recognize that and create the environment to support it. DFW is a more mature demographic. Also, I think nightlife in D/FW is more spread out from Uptown to Deep Ellum, to Lower Greenville, to Addison, to Far North Plano, and then over to Downtown Fort Worth and south Arlington. Boston is highly concentrated.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:15 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
When you say housing is expensive compared to the VAST majority of the country, that's a bad statement. Frankly, large metro areas are going to have higher housing costs. Compared to Denver, DFW Housing IS cheaper but it average/median and per square foot. Its not even close! I know someone who moved from DFW to Denver four years and spoke to her last year because of a job offer I got in Denver. She said its EASILY 20% higher there.
Yes, but besides the coasts, Chicago, and Denver, Dallas is right up there for COL. Yes, of course it's a function of how many people live here, big cities tend to be more expensive.

Some cities like Seattle, Austin or Denver cost more than cities of a similar size because of the jobs and lifestyle they offer.

It is pretty incredible how DFW has managed to keep the COL from spiking too much by allowing growth, but that doesn't mean compared to the rest of the country it isn't kinda pricey. Chicago and Denver Aside, Dallas is more expensive than any mountain west or Midwestern city. It's also expensive compared to most of the south east and most of the rest of Texas.

You should check out the kind of house you could get in Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, or St Louis just to name a few.

I'm not saying you would prefer live in any of those cities over Dallas, but most of the country is less pricey.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:37 PM

134 posts, read 139,263 times
Dallas isn't expensive as a lot of other cities the same size. Dallas/Ft Worth's problem is the housing market pricing has increased way more rapidly than salaries over the last 10 years.

The local Community newspaper did a story not long ago about Grapevine property values:

Since 2015 the total appraised value of homes in Colleyville has increased by approximately 24% and by 25% in Grapevine and 26% in Southlake, according to data from Tarrant Appraisal District.

That's a huge increase for local people to absorb in a very short period of time. Most people I know haven't received a combined pay raise of 25% over the last 3 years.

While the state loves to bring in companies from other states, what they are doing is slowly turning Texas into a mini-LA. I live around quite a few retired or soon to be retired people that have lived in Grapevine for 30+ plus years. A lot of them don't plan on staying in the area because they simply can't afford the continuing tax increases on their paid off home.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyLebeau View Post
Dallas isn't expensive as a lot of other cities the same size. Dallas/Ft Worth's problem is the housing market pricing has increased way more rapidly than salaries over the last 10 years.
I'm not sure thats true.

If you compare DFW to it's Peers you get:

Greater Houston is about the size of DFW, it's slightly cheaper.

Atlanta is pretty comparable in COL according to the stats I saw some put them 1% more expensive some put at 1% less.

Phoenix is a little cheaper.

Greater Philly is a little cheaper.

A whole bunch of cities that are arguably a tier below (But still offer many similar amenities, pro sports etc) DFW are cheaper. Detroit, the 3 Ohio Cs, Minneapolis, etc. Lets be honest, DFW is more comparable to Minneapolis than it is to NYC.

The big cities that are more expensive than DFW:

NYC and LA are more expensive, but everyone expects that, they are a tier on their own.

Chicago and The Bay Area are more expensive, but also arguably a higher tier (more important companies, higher wages etc).

"Lifestyle" cities like Seattle, Miami, and Denver are all more expensive.

Idk, I don't think when you line Dallas up with it's peers its the clear "Value Pick" that it used to be, I agree with you the lack of salary growth to match COL is the issue.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:12 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I'm not sure thats true.

If you compare DFW to it's Peers you get:

Greater Houston is about the size of DFW, it's slightly cheaper.

Atlanta is pretty comparable in COL according to the stats I saw some put them 1% more expensive some put at 1% less.

Phoenix is a little cheaper.

Greater Philly is a little cheaper.

A whole bunch of cities that are arguably a tier below (But still offer many similar amenities, pro sports etc) DFW are cheaper. Detroit, the 3 Ohio Cs, Minneapolis, etc. Lets be honest, DFW is more comparable to Minneapolis than it is to NYC.

The big cities that are more expensive than DFW:

NYC and LA are more expensive, but everyone expects that, they are a tier on their own.

Chicago and The Bay Area are more expensive, but also arguably a higher tier (more important companies, higher wages etc).

"Lifestyle" cities like Seattle, Miami, and Denver are all more expensive.

Idk, I don't think when you line Dallas up with it's peers its the clear "Value Pick" that it used to be, I agree with you the lack of salary growth to match COL is the issue.
Not a value pick, but home prices seem to be in line when looking at all factors.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Not a value pick, but home prices seem to be in line when looking at all factors.
Yeah I agree. I think Dallas is generally fairly priced. It's a big city, more pricey than most of the country, less than a few places that cost more either due to career opportunities, lifestyle or both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas