Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 09:20 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,951,016 times

Advertisements

Mom & Pop places have much better quality and prices than chains.
The 2 favorites I spoke of did tons of business as they were located near schools.
And yes they were also in shopping strip
Centers.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:24 AM

515 posts, read 553,424 times
Its a combination of things: Donuts are more popular in TX and the west (bagels in the NE), its a cheap business to get started with low overhead, easy to grab on your way to work from the suburbs.

Personally, I avoid all the mega-carb stuff and try to avoid all that chain-store crap like Krispy Kreme. I do like the Round Rock Donuts and occasionally stop there when driving back from Austin.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:10 AM

8 posts, read 15,852 times
Definitely not specialty places. And there are two 0.2 miles from each other and another 2 more 1 mile down the road. I'm just not buying that all these places sell enough donuts to pay the rent. And what you're saying might be true about suburbanites in general but there are *a lot* of in shape people around these parts. There are also like 4 cross fit or functional fitness places in the same radius plus a couple of traditional gyms to boot.

I'm convinced at least some are a front or something.

Also, instead of 3,000 places to buy donuts I would kill for some healthy(ish) fast casual dining places or even a bagel shop.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:14 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,227,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aly cat View Post
Definitely not specialty places. And there are two 0.2 miles from each other and another 2 more 1 mile down the road. I'm just not buying that all these places sell enough donuts to pay the rent. And what you're saying might be true about suburbanites in general but there are *a lot* of in shape people around these parts. There are also like 4 cross fit or functional fitness places in the same radius plus a couple of traditional gyms to boot.

Also, instead of 3,000 places to buy donuts I would kill for some healthy(ish) fast casual dining places or even a bagel shop.
2 of the ones near my house have terrible reviews and are never busy. Idk how they keep the doors open.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:23 AM

5,428 posts, read 4,419,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
Its a combination of things: Donuts are more popular in TX and the west (bagels in the NE), its a cheap business to get started with low overhead, easy to grab on your way to work from the suburbs.

Personally, I avoid all the mega-carb stuff and try to avoid all that chain-store crap like Krispy Kreme. I do like the Round Rock Donuts and occasionally stop there when driving back from Austin.

There's not a lack of popularity of doughnuts in the Northeast. Dunkin' Donuts are everywhere in the Northeast. There are many fewer Dunkin' Donuts locations in Metro Dallas and in the entire Western United States. Dunkin' is decent, but I try to support local places more than Dunkin' on the occasions that I eat doughnuts. I try not to eat doughnuts though because I try to be health and fitness oriented. I'm proud to say that my BMI is below 25, which is the normal range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aly cat View Post

This is one of many articles about obesity in the suburbs. Yes, there are in shape people in suburbs, but it is less likely to be found.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:35 AM

937 posts, read 738,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
This makes a lot of sense; commute, cheap business to get into..... another angle is so many people getting new jobs so bringing donuts into the office or having them in the break room is an easy social entree
This is how I ended up buying lots of donuts at Dunkin' in the past two years. I was bringing them in to my workplace quite a bit as a way to stay in good graces with coworkers. Very easy to grab some on the way to work with a cup of coffee and put in the break room with a nice little note. I think some of them noticed after awhile that I was never eating the donuts myself and so....I guess I tried to eat a few here and there, but there's something about them that just doesn't make you feel good. It can be akin to eating a hot dog...tastes good but shameful at the same time.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:58 AM

5,428 posts, read 4,419,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
I was bringing them in to my workplace quite a bit as a way to stay in good graces with coworkers. Very easy to grab some on the way to work with a cup of coffee and put in the break room with a nice little note.

In recent years, the majority of my doughnuts consumed were as a result of co-workers buying them and leaving them in the break room at work. More often than not, this occurred at independent shops rather than Dunkin' or Krispy Kreme.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:48 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,397,061 times
They all seem to have the following characteristics;
Predominantly East Asian owned
Open at 6am and essentially done by noon
Usually a very small space that seats at most 10-14 people so geared mainly towards takeout

From the outside looking in it seems implausible that selling cheaply priced donuts for half the day would generate enough to be profitable but they seem to thrive so there’s something I’m missing.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:58 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,527,355 times
Eh, we went to Boston & NH this year. There was literally a Dunkin' Donuts on every dang corner.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:08 PM

964 posts, read 870,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
They all seem to have the following characteristics;
Predominantly East Asian owned
Open at 6am and essentially done by noon
Usually a very small space that seats at most 10-14 people so geared mainly towards takeout

From the outside looking in it seems implausible that selling cheaply priced donuts for half the day would generate enough to be profitable but they seem to thrive so there’s something I’m missing.
How much do you think a donut shop makes? I can tell you it is more than you think.

BTW - Korean owned in TX. In CA it is Cambodian or Cambodian born Chinese (my wife)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas