U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 11:27 AM

4,115 posts, read 3,887,519 times

Advertisements

West Nile Virus.
It's real!
It's a toss up on which is more brutal.
Crime or Mosquitos.
We were never a victim of crime,
But can't say the same about mosquitos.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 06:01 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,564,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
To keep mosquitoes away from you, eat garlic, or take garlic tablets (available at health food stores.) That's an old home remedy, but it really works.

As the other poster said, Midlothian and Mansfield wouldn't be as bad of a commute as other cities. Cedar Hill is another good option. I have friends who live in Red Oak and Ferris, but be aware those areas are still fairly rural. The southern parts of Arlington below I-20 are nice. Sunnyvale is a nice town, but it would be a long commute, and housing there is expensive.

Basically, avoid any part of the City of Dallas that's south of I-30 and east of Loop 12. Personally, I would also avoid Duncanville, Lancaster, too.
To the OP: The suburbs in southwest Dallas County should be considered as they would provide easy access and a relatively short commute to the VA hospital. That includes Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Lancaster, and Duncanville. By DFW standards, these are mid-sized communities with populations ranging from 39,000 to 54,000 residents, multiple neighborhoods/subdivisions, and a variety of housing. Cities that large shouldn't be written-off in their entirety as "places to avoid" when there are safe, well-kept neighborhoods present in all of them. Its also worth noting that this forum only has a few active posters from the southern suburbs. As a result, the area is more prone to blanket statements and generalizations. Rarely is this "all one way or the other" behavior applied to other areas of DFW.

Getting back to the subject....The other areas further out that have been recommended by others are also decent places to live. Since you plan on renting first, it gives you a little more flexibility when it comes to finding the right place.

We tend to get quite a few inquiries from people working at the VA and looking for places to live. Here are several other VA-related threads with detailed information that you might find helpful as well:

Moving to Dallas to work in the VA hospital, from Maryland...need advice. Thanks.
Dallas VA
Moving to Dallas in 2013
Best Place to live if working at VA Hospital
Safe affordable Suburbs around Irving, Arlington, Plano
Commuting to veterans hospital
Any good communities near Dallas VA hospital
Duncanville Dallas Texas

You can also perform your own search of the Dallas Forum for additional information.

I hope this helps.

Take care.

Last edited by Acntx; 06-26-2018 at 06:40 PM..

Old 06-26-2018, 06:07 PM

202 posts, read 124,667 times
Hi OP:

I'm marked from Portland to Dallas, but I'm originally from Foothills area so a NorCal native here!

I've been here a year, and here are my honest answers:

Allergies are the worst I have ever had in my life. I have traveled A LOT and have never had allergies like I do down here.

Weather is not northern California in the slightest. Having only been here one year, I can sum it up this way -- Straight from summer to winter, then back to summer. I think it was "spring weather" for about 15 days this year. For example, on April 6th, it was 86 degrees and on April 7th it was 33 degrees. It was HORRIBLE.

I live in the North DWF Metro area - plano, mckinney, frisco, allen and I have not seen crime to be an issue, nor rampant homeless like you will see in sac or the bay area.

I like the politics. It's not overwhelming, like the west coast. (I feel like politics are the equivalent of religion on the west coast. Don't ask/don't tell.)

Bugs are BIG, and I get a lot of mosquito bites, but to be fair I did in Oregon and CA as well, so I am probably a subjective judge. In general there are a lot of bugs and I see a lot of dangerous wildlife as part of my every day activities which I would not have seen in CA. I am more active than most in this area for outdoor recreation, this probably supports why I see more dangerous wildlife. For instance, it is not uncommon for me to see cottonmouth snakes several times per week. They seem to leave me alone for the most part.

Overall, it's not bad here, I like it. However, I would not retire here due to property taxes and some other reasons. I think for another 12 years working, you could stand to really capitalize on the market down here. I also recommend not underrating the beauty of California. You will not find that here. It is mostly flat, and many hours drive to anything resembling outdoor recreation or "nature" and it is a disappointment.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:44 PM

19,867 posts, read 59,174,064 times
Coming from New Orleans, I find it rather dry here. All depends on what you're used to! Houston is way worse on humidity. I work about a mile from the VA. There are older but still nice areas afkund, here and there. I live almost to Okla cause that's where the grand kids are - well, not really that far but a solid 50 min on the highway when traffic is good. I would look on the south side as others have suggested.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-29-2018 at 11:30 PM..

Old 06-26-2018, 11:03 PM

170 posts, read 205,658 times
Sorry forgot to mention budget. To rent 2 bedroom we would hope to stay under 1200. Small dog friendly. To purchase 2-3 bed home looking at maybe 175k flex
Thank you!

Old 06-26-2018, 11:05 PM

490 posts, read 285,753 times
We use Mosquito Steve's with a garlic spray on 1.1 acres and have no problem. Came from the east so find it pretty dry here. Burbs north of Dallas seem quite safe. I dig the people here, especially the mix from all over the USA!

Old 06-26-2018, 11:08 PM

170 posts, read 205,658 times
Thank you all so much for your time and valuable feedback!!

Old 06-26-2018, 11:30 PM

324 posts, read 231,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustRN View Post
Thank you all so much for your time and valuable feedback!!
Downtown dallas and uptown have fewer mosquitoes

Old 06-27-2018, 05:46 AM

16,040 posts, read 1,324,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustRN View Post
Sorry forgot to mention budget. To rent 2 bedroom we would hope to stay under 1200. Small dog friendly. To purchase 2-3 bed home looking at maybe 175k flex
Thank you!
Rent - possible if your wants and needs are not to high
Purchase - I do not see it happen unless it is a fixer upper in a marginal neighborhood

Old 06-27-2018, 09:34 AM

10,243 posts, read 10,567,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_potion_darling View Post
Hi OP:

I'm marked from Portland to Dallas, but I'm originally from Foothills area so a NorCal native here!

I've been here a year, and here are my honest answers:

Allergies are the worst I have ever had in my life. I have traveled A LOT and have never had allergies like I do down here.

Bugs are BIG, and I get a lot of mosquito bites, but to be fair I did in Oregon and CA as well, so I am probably a subjective judge. In general there are a lot of bugs and I see a lot of dangerous wildlife as part of my every day activities which I would not have seen in CA. I am more active than most in this area for outdoor recreation, this probably supports why I see more dangerous wildlife. For instance, it is not uncommon for me to see cottonmouth snakes several times per week. They seem to leave me alone for the most part.

1. Allergies to a great degree are people dependent what bothers you may not bother another person.

According to this Dallas does not have a particularly high pollen count averages. Today for example San Antonio, Las Vegas and Reno all have much higher total pollen counts.
http://www.aafa.org/media/AAFA-2018-...als-Report.pdf

2. Dangerous wildlife? Are you swamp hiking through creek beds, swamps or something? I've lived in and around Dallas most of my life and I'm outside much more than most people.......I've seen five legit "cottonmouths" and another couple or three probables around here over the course of decades.
*Cottonmouths do wander across dry areas occasionally but they are nearly always found in swampy areas, creek beds and around lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or