Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 09:53 PM

132 posts, read 93,928 times

Advertisements

Go to moody gardens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 11:45 PM

4,419 posts, read 6,234,482 times
Dallas has great lakes for boating, but I wouldn't go swimming in Texas waters. Between the live critters to the bacteria that is in the water due to the very hot weather we have, I just wouldn't do it.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:28 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,290,577 times
Burger's Lake in Fort Worth is a good option if you're looking for an alternative to a swimming pool that's cleaner and safer than most of the lakes around here. It's spring fed and treated, but it has beaches and the bottom is sand. I haven't been since I was a teenager, but it was a lot of fun way back then.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:41 PM

3,810 posts, read 6,392,305 times
There are alligators in many of the Metroplex's waters as well.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:44 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,215,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
There are alligators in many of the Metroplex's waters as well.
I mean, on occasion they can come up here, I've never seen one personally.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:09 PM

989 posts, read 2,427,871 times
So if Dallas has no real swimming lakes, then why does everyone rave about how Dallas "has lots of lakes" for summer activities? Is it just about being out on a boat on a lake? What's the point if it's 105 degrees and you can't get in the water because it's dirty?

Old 07-19-2018, 11:02 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,215,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
So if Dallas has no real swimming lakes, then why does everyone rave about how Dallas "has lots of lakes" for summer activities? Is it just about being out on a boat on a lake? What's the point if it's 105 degrees and you can't get in the water because it's dirty?

I mean yeah, you can swim near the shore, but it's nasty.

If you have a boat and go further out you can swim from the boat. I've done that from party pontoon boats before and it's pretty fun.

Personally I kayak, I don't have the kind of money or desire for a boat and a truck to tow it.

I personally think it's miserable being on a boat when it's 95+ outside. No shade on the lake even if you jump in the water you are generally exposed to the Texas sun.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:15 AM

5,248 posts, read 6,333,260 times
Quote:
What's the point if it's 105 degrees and you can't get in the water because it's dirty?
Just because there are a few people with OCD who won't swim in DFW lakes (but they probably swim in the even dirtier ocean) doesn't mean huge numbers of people don't swim in them. And lake wind, especially from a boat, feels great when it's 105F. It feels cold getting in the lake and then back into the boat.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:33 AM

132 posts, read 93,928 times
Quote:
Dude, all this time I thought the lakes in Dallas were beautiful. Alot of Dallas posters in Houston vs Dallas threads always talked down on Galveston

Turns out the lakes are dirty. They forgot to leave that detail out I guess lol.

Beaches > Lakes

Old 07-20-2018, 12:35 PM

230 posts, read 227,304 times
Quote:

Right? We like to kayak fish, and that's about all the lakes here are good for. I second what most are saying on this post, I would not swim in or eat any fish that come out of Texas waterways, save for MAYBE swimming in Possum Kingdom or wading around in some of the Brazos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas