U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 10:01 AM

59 posts, read 24,092 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for Administrative Office Headhunters in the Plano/Richardson/Carrollton area, but all I'm finding are executive headhunters.

I apparently need professional help in finding a job, as the entire job hunting market is so screwed up, it's just despicable.

There used to be headhunters for administrative office positions, but I'm only finding temp agencies, which are supremely useless.

Do headhunters for admin's not exist anymore? If they are still around, I'm not finding them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 02:09 PM

663 posts, read 617,225 times
Temp agencies have *been* the headhunters for admins for a very long time. The few exceptions to that I know of have been pretty one-off and boutique.

I wouldn't put your eggs in admin work as a regular staple. Technology is shifting. It's my day job, but I find myself supporting the same office with a LOT more time on my hands than I used to have. I could be replaced with a part-timer, honestly, were it not that we need somebody for fire drills, and I don't expect admin hiring to pick up notably if at all b/c of it. Mobile commo simply makes it much easier for people to get things done in the field, with less having to be done at the back office.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:27 PM

9,823 posts, read 20,504,756 times
Most companies don't use a headhunter for these positions. They just post the jobs online (look on Indeed and ZipRecruiter) or possibly hire through a temp agency.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:35 AM

59 posts, read 24,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
Temp agencies have *been* the headhunters for admins for a very long time. The few exceptions to that I know of have been pretty one-off and boutique.

I wouldn't put your eggs in admin work as a regular staple. Technology is shifting. It's my day job, but I find myself supporting the same office with a LOT more time on my hands than I used to have. I could be replaced with a part-timer, honestly, were it not that we need somebody for fire drills, and I don't expect admin hiring to pick up notably if at all b/c of it. Mobile commo simply makes it much easier for people to get things done in the field, with less having to be done at the back office.
I've been in corporate admin work since 2000, and it does not show any signs of being in danger of extinction.

Companies have made it near impossible to find work anymore, as they think they have to be "smart" and title admin positions with 1,000 different descriptive titles, which makes it near impossible to find them when looking online for something. Company ABC will call it Admin Support, while company DFG will call it Managerial Requisitioning, and company XYZ will call the same position with the same duties Corporate Office Submanagment........as examples. These companies complain about not finding the "right" people for the job and complain they can't fill positions because they don't have qualified people applying. GEEZ, I WONDER WHY!!!! These companies have royally screwed up the entire job hunting process, as well as the entire application process. They have nobody to blame but themselves for this.

There used to be "headhunters" for lower management positions as well as higher functioning administrative positions in the DFW metro area in the 80's and 90's. Like executive headhunters, you pay them for finding you the type of position you want, at the kind of company you want to work at, so all you have to do is focus on interviews. These places seemed to have disappeared, as I cannot find anyone who does this anymore.

Temp agencies are completely useless, as they do nothing but lie to you the moment you walk in the door.
And on top of that, they refuse to listen to anything you tell them about the kind of work you want and the companies you want to work for.......then blame YOU for turning down jobs that you are not suited for or want, much less specifically told them you were NOT interested in those kinds of jobs. Then they refuse to acknowledge you anymore, as it is THEIR fault for not listening to you in the first place. Temp agencies are incompetent and useless for seeking REAL professional positions or companies.

As for commuting jobs, I've looked for "at home" company admin jobs for several years now and there aren't any in the DFW area....none that advertise anyway. There seem to be tons of them up in the northern states, but Texas business seems to be a decade or two behind the times as far as commuting/at home company jobs are concerned.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:04 AM

13,219 posts, read 17,762,574 times
OK, you had your vent.

This is 2018, not 80s or 90s. I do feel your pain but the midlevel recruiter has gone by the wayside.

Admin who is top will sooner or later make the move into management. Classic admin functions from 5/10/20 years ago have shifted.

It is too expensive to bring an outside recruiter in on an admin job. A lot more cost efficient to run it on the company site, state employment site or job boards; LinkedIn is great.

Texas is not behind times - most of those work from home jobs are 1099/item priced.

The jobs you are looking for are there. The magic word is networking.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:12 AM

9,823 posts, read 20,504,756 times
Use the ZipRecruiter and Indeed websites to find positions. That's how companies direct traffic to their own job postings. I've hired several admins this way in the last few years, and I've had plenty of applicants.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:04 AM

59 posts, read 82,729 times
Despite how tight the labor market is in the DFW metroplex, there are hundreds of people applying for the same positions you are. Typical administrative positions still see 80-200 online applicants where I work.

If you are not getting noticed, is it time to update/change your resume? Do you have all the necessary buzz words employers are looking for these days or do you have too many? And, you have to be on top of new postings to be in the first rounds a recruiter reviews.

Networking works! An email to recruiting from someone you know at the company usually gets your resume looked at and often called in for first round interviews.

Good luck and don't give up!

Old 07-17-2018, 07:16 AM

137 posts, read 193,342 times
Our company has used Babich & Associates with great results. Give them a try!

Old 07-17-2018, 09:15 AM

663 posts, read 617,225 times
I've been in this game at least as long as OP has, with some minor vacations into other careers. OP should realize that if EVERYBODY out there is nuts and nonsensical and dishonest and incompetent.... it is far more likely that OP needs to approach the subject with a more flexible and understanding mindset. The other side of the relationship has needs as well, and if OP doesn't suit those needs or insists on deal-breaking conditions, nothing productive is going to result.

@ Barefoot -- I concur: Babich & Associates always did right by me as a temp, including being honest about whether they had anything coming up that was a good match. (particularly during the nasty downturn in 08/09 when everybody and their grandmother's cat was piling into temp agencies just in order to have SOME work and they were up to something ridiculous like 500 applicants per position).

Old 07-17-2018, 10:11 AM

8,309 posts, read 9,063,524 times
I asked my wife last night her company uses headhunters to fill what they call, "executive assistant" roles but usually not for other "admin" positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or