U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:49 PM

145 posts, read 343,365 times
Default What is the real weather in DFW?Conflicting stories!

Dallas Best Time To Travel, Dallas Travel Tourism, Dallas Travel Guide

My family and I live in central IL, Springfield. and we're considering moving to Abilene or Dallas. We ruled out Austin due to stories of constant rain and Austin pretty much being the "allergy capitol of the US". Anyway, I don't like humidity but what I hate most is the cold. I also get head colds all winter long here in central IL. I'm guessing the humidity in Dallas is about the same as here in Central IL. I'm hoping that my allergy problem would at least not be any worse in DFW. I'm also hoping the above link is wrong about all the cold and snow DFW supposedly has. So what is the real truth about DFW winters? I've read a lot of posts from this forum but have become increasingly unsure about this topic. If the DFW weather won't suit my wife and I then would our only hope in TX be Abilene, even though we would rather be near a big city for employment opportunities, etc. Thanks for any help. After I get the weather aspect of the move figured out I'll have to do more research on some other controversial TX subjects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 10:19 PM

2,930 posts, read 4,349,419 times
It's windy here in the winter, so while it may not be cold, some days it can feel really cold. The humidity generally isn't bad at all, coming from the mid atlantic, it's mild. There are days here and there, especially after heavy rains in the summer, when it feels more humid... but most days it's really not bad.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,083 times
sorry to tell you this but its really chaotic.. in the winter it gets really really cold... like 40's - 50's on average but the wind chill makes it feel really bad... the summers are blazing hot like 85ish to about 90's on average... the hottest its been since i moved here was like 105... it gets humid during the summer so it adds to it... as far as the allergies go its pretty good during spring... so far i havent had any problems with allergies... probably because one of the flowers that we get the most (blue bonnet) only blooms once a year and when it does its only for like a week or two and then its gone for the rest of the year... it rains some this time around... sometimes it can pour all day and sometimes it doesnt for weeks...

Old 03-30-2008, 10:38 PM

59 posts, read 92,154 times
I think what one thinks about weather depends a lot on one's perspective and personal likes and dislikes...

I find winter in Dallas to be quite mild. A few cold snaps and usually one ice storm (almost never any snow accumulation), but not that cold. There are bouts of cloudy, rainy weather, but it's usually sunny and mild (not warm, but not cold).

Summer (4+ months) on the other hand, for me, is hot, humid and generally not pleasant. The humidity is probably close to Illinois levels, but the heat has to be far greater. Summer nights rarely cool off below 80 (maybe high 70's by sunrise). You learn to tolerate it, and having a pool nearby helps.

Some people seem to like it though - just depends on the person.

Abilene would be just as hot temp wise, but drier than Dallas.

Allergies seem to be bad for some - especially in spring. Overall, probably not that much different than Austin though.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:50 AM

3,930 posts, read 8,724,848 times
The weather in DFW sufffers from bipolar disorder. Good luck in figuring it out! I gave up a long time ago.

Yet, I love it here, it beats shovelling snow...

Old 03-31-2008, 05:05 AM

3,905 posts, read 5,265,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benandgrace View Post

I'm also hoping the above link is wrong about all the cold and snow DFW supposedly has. So what is the real truth about DFW winters?
Honestly, that's the most absurd description I've ever heard of about the weather here in Dallas included in that link, especially about the winter weather! Obviously, the author never did one iota of research regarding the actual weather or weather patterns here!

Here is the annual average temps, etc., for Dallas:

Climate Information for Dallas - Fort Worth*-*Texas*-*Southwest*-*United States*-*Climate Zone

Also, here are two good previous threads about the weather here:

Weather Woes in North Texas

Year round weather/climate in Dallas

Old 03-31-2008, 05:13 AM

2,785 posts, read 3,962,615 times
Quote:

My family and I live in central IL, Springfield. and we're considering moving to Abilene or Dallas. We ruled out Austin due to stories of constant rain and Austin pretty much being the "allergy capitol of the US". Anyway, I don't like humidity but what I hate most is the cold. I also get head colds all winter long here in central IL. I'm guessing the humidity in Dallas is about the same as here in Central IL. I'm hoping that my allergy problem would at least not be any worse in DFW. I'm also hoping the above link is wrong about all the cold and snow DFW supposedly has. So what is the real truth about DFW winters? I've read a lot of posts from this forum but have become increasingly unsure about this topic. If the DFW weather won't suit my wife and I then would our only hope in TX be Abilene, even though we would rather be near a big city for employment opportunities, etc. Thanks for any help. After I get the weather aspect of the move figured out I'll have to do more research on some other controversial TX subjects.

Abilene? That's pretty random. Allergies are bad in Dallas. I've never heard anything about constant rain in Austin. In Dallas it rains, but it comes in, rains hard and leaves. See a recent post about actual weather data and then decide for yourself.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:05 AM

6,586 posts, read 15,602,421 times
Wow, that was a strange description of weather in Dallas on that website. The only thing that rang true for me was the fact it is hot during the summer. Yes, it's hot during the summer, but not super humid, except for last summer which was highly unusual and we had a lot of rain and humidity. We usually don't get much rain at all during the summer. The grass is usually dead by mid August due to lack of rain. And when I say it can get hot - it can get HOT - we can have days in a row of over 100.

A lot of snow in winter?? Ha! Don't the school kids wish that because the schools close at the slightest hint of snow. We get 1 maybe 2 days of snow and even then it's maybe an inch and even then may not stick to the pavement because the pavement was 75 degrees the day before.

A lot of rain in Austin??? I lived there 5 years while attended Univ of Texas and that's just not true.

Allergies can be terrible. In one class I took awhile back I learned Denton, TX is the epicenter of the allergy problem. Eat local honey. Get some nose spray. I have mountain cedar allergies and it's totally controlled by medication.

I'm a native Dallasite. That web site almost seemed to come from another country - just looking at the way it was written. Someone doesn't have a clue. Our seasons are only called "pronounced" by people from California used to no season change at all. To a northeasterner we have very subtle changes of season. People move away from here in search of seasons or "real" winters where they can go sledding or make snowmen.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:15 AM

69 posts, read 278,530 times
Quote:
We ruled out Austin due to stories of constant rain and Austin pretty much being the "allergy capitol of the US".
Wow, wrong on both accounts.

1) Austin gets 84 days per year with precipitation, Springfield gets 113. This is an extra month of rain in Springfield vs. Austin.

2) Austin is not even close to the allergy capital of the US. You'll have to go much farther east (out of Texas) for that.

Quote:
I'm also hoping the above link is wrong about all the cold and snow DFW supposedly has. So what is the real truth about DFW winters?
The city of Dallas (not the northern suburbs) got less than 1/2" of snow this year, just below our current average. 2 months out of the 3 months of winter had highs in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

You need to stop listening to subjective comments and look at data. When I lived in Wisconsin we'd wear shorts if it hit the low 40s in Janauary. Here people wear parkas, gloves, and a scarf during the same weather. There is a good chance that someone is down here just because they're a winter wimp, so you get these wimpy descriptions. I know it is hard to get objective info on allergies but you can look at past pollen counts.

Jason

Old 03-31-2008, 09:43 AM

15,920 posts, read 24,443,609 times
It's just cold enough to frustrate people who love sweaters (hint, you are better off buying cotton and cashmere over heavy wool). I'm not sure we even had any snow this year, beyond some rather large flakes.

I really have not had any hay fever trouble so far...

As a native, I have never in my life heard that bluebonnets cause allergies! Where did you get that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas