Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 07:23 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
No, it will shunt thousands and thousands of cars through downtown, creating a massive 24/7 traffic jam. No one who was not around before the Central elevated was built can imagine how bad it was then - it would be ten times worse now.

I remember what it was like trying to get from north of downtown to south of downtown in 1968. Trust me, we do NOT want to go back to that.
I doubt that this will happen now.

If designed in a way that will properly utilize the entire street grid in the area, I don’t think it’s a problem. There’s cities all over the world (with much higher population densities) that have done it and it was successful. I think we fail to realize that any vibrant downtown area in the United States, you cannot just cut through it in no time. We honestly think that’s a normal thing. New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, etc. all have vibrant downtowns that take a while to go through it. Traffic creates vibrancy. Urban planners know this to be the truth. Freeways are known to make an urban area around it decline. Why do you think there’s acres of parking all around the elevated portions of Central. It’s been there for over 40 years and no major significant development has it spurred. Elevated Central has to be replaced because it’s at the end of its lifespand. I doubt it will be replace with another bridge.

BTW all of the traffic is not coming to Dallas at all, it’s through traffic from truck drivers. TXDOT did a study called citymap, they recommended that it should be torn down. Because it will have a greater economic impact and it will create more jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 09:57 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
I said it does end of story.
Dallas already has PLENTY of new highrises coming up. There's no need for any in any part of Dallas because it's already happening.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:12 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I doubt that this will happen now.

If designed in a way that will properly utilize the entire street grid in the area, I don’t think it’s a problem. There’s cities all over the world (with much higher population densities) that have done it and it was successful. I think we fail to realize that any vibrant downtown area in the United States, you cannot just cut through it in no time. We honestly think that’s a normal thing. New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, etc. all have vibrant downtowns that take a while to go through it. Traffic creates vibrancy. Urban planners know this to be the truth. Freeways are known to make an urban area around it decline. Why do you think there’s acres of parking all around the elevated portions of Central. It’s been there for over 40 years and no major significant development has it spurred. Elevated Central has to be replaced because it’s at the end of its lifespand. I doubt it will be replace with another bridge.

BTW all of the traffic is not coming to Dallas at all, it’s through traffic from truck drivers. TXDOT did a study called citymap, they recommended that it should be torn down. Because it will have a greater economic impact and it will create more jobs.
+1

I totally agree with this. As I've said before it will take at least 3 to 5 years for them to remove the highway, regrid the new Blvd, designate the new developable plots and add in green space. That would be MORE than enough time for the general populous to become used to not having a freeway there.

The uncomfortable part would happen only at the the start of demo. And even then it won't be as bad because the warnings of rerouting and alternate routes would be released months before demo. So people would be prepared to avoid the mess.

If you live in Dallas You are used to freeways being under construction....We eventually get used to the alternate routes and avoid the NIGHTMARE under construction at all cost! Some people HAVE to muscle through it but most people won't.

The only difference in this situation is that the alternate routes that are suggested will eventually become the permanent routes when the dust settles...meaning the general populous will have 5 years worth of "being used to" not having I-345.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:56 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Random notification:

There are officially more cranes in DOWNTOWN Dallas than in uptown.

The spillover that was projected for downtown is in full effect.....YES!!��

Old 11-07-2018, 01:20 PM

390 posts, read 389,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Random notification:

Downtown is also becoming alot more active nowadays too. Lot more people on streets

Old 11-07-2018, 08:38 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Downtown with the clustering of tall buildings and short distances between stop lights has a little bit of a New York City (Manhattan) feeling. Uptown does not have that feeling.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:28 AM

390 posts, read 389,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Downtown with the clustering of tall buildings and short distances between stop lights has a little bit of a New York City (Manhattan) feeling. Uptown does not have that feeling.
Exactly, that's why I care more for the future of downtown than uptown bc downtown has that feel of being in nyc Chicago etc especially as it continues to grow and populate.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:02 AM

355 posts, read 469,130 times
I just like the overall densification of Central Dallas and it's really fun watching the neighborhoods change.

Just look at the juxtapostion in architecture: https://kdc.com/our-active-work/bayl...-white-health/

Old 11-08-2018, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Random notification:

"Eye On Dallas: One Developer’s Push to Remake Downtown" -

https://commercialobserver.com/2018/...ton-companies/

Old 11-08-2018, 07:26 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by circlebox View Post
"Eye On Dallas: One Developer’s Push to Remake Downtown" -

https://commercialobserver.com/2018/...ton-companies/
I have mixed thoughts on Headington. What he did to the Joule was successful and something to be admired. But his decision to destroy some of the city's oldest buildings across the street for an eyeball and brand new building (with a surface valet lot in the back ) was disgraceful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas