Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 07:12 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoDeb View Post
Ya think folks from India think Southerners, like myself, are different from folks up north and I don't mean Canada...LOL. Except for Singh, Indians from India are more alike than not.
This
News flash to Americans: to the rest of the world you are all the same. To everyone else a guy from California drinking next to a guy from Texas are just two Americans in a bar. Now the only caveat to that, many do associate Texas with cowboys (not the football team). I lost count of how many horse jokes I got when people learned I was moving to Texas 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 09:01 AM

445 posts, read 413,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL60 View Post
Curious where the idea comes from that teachers love working in Frisco ISD ? It’s one of the lowest paying isd’s in the immediate area, incredibly high turnover rate, and incredibly high work load, along with the influx of Indians whose kids have to be catered to due to lack of English. Plano ISd, Prosper ISD, and most of Lewisville ISD, are all neighboring and all more sought after teaching destinations than Frisco, for multible reasons.
Indian kids lack English skills? Where do you get that from? They can teach English to many Americans who can't tell the difference between "there" and "they're", or between "too bad" and "to bad". Yes they have accent but who doesn't?

Which actually answers a previous question on this thread on why majority of H1Bs are issued to Indians. There is definitely abuse and fraud there now but it all started because India was one country with educated people who speak English very well (it's actually their official language) and they were willing to come here because they can have a better life here. Show me another English speaking country that is not already developed.

I'm not from India, BTW.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:06 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
Indian kids lack English skills? Where do you get that from? They can teach English to many Americans who can't tell the difference between "there" and "they're", or between "too bad" and "to bad". Yes they have accent but who doesn't?

Which actually answers a previous question on this thread on why majority of H1Bs are issued to Indians. There is definitely abuse and fraud there now but it all started because India was one country with educated people who speak English very well (it's actually their official language) and they were willing to come here because they can have a better life here. Show me another English speaking country that is not already developed.

I'm not from India, BTW.
I worked a few years ago with an Indian who had a very proper Oxford English accent (although he could also do darned good Sean Connery).

He had noted that Americans tend to round off an internal "t" when speaking a lot of words to a "d" sound.

For instance, it's common for Americans to say "seventy" as "sevendy."

He was trying to get his American accent right, so he asked me if he should emulate that. I told him to just continue speaking the Queen's English.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:08 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
Human beings are 99.9 percent identical in their genetic makeup but as denial is a common trait, we keep arguing about minor differences of remaining 0.1%.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:41 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Quote:

I'm not from India, BTW.
It's one of their official languages, however, most Indians learn British English. The other is Hindi. My husband grew up as an expat in another country where he attended a school run by the Indian consulate. Indian children from all over India attended the school. The language of the school was British English because choosing any of the native Indian languages, including Hindi, would have offended someone. When my husband took the TOEFL test he thought it was a joke. Educated Indians usually speak English, however, it probably is British English and it usually is taught by a non-native English speaker so it may sometimes sound odd or stilted unless they went to university in an English speaking country. Furthermore, not all Indians have had a thorough ground in writing essays, research papers, etc. or public speaking like college students should have if they attended university in the US. Things are changing but too many universities in India still emphasize memorization and fail to give a thorough grounding in useful soft skills such as group work, public speaking, research writing, etc. If a company just wants a code monkey then an H1B might be fine but if they want someone who has those other skills they need to carefully vet that H1B.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:56 AM

445 posts, read 413,223 times
British English is by definition proper English, what we speak here is American - not necessarily English. Just kidding.
My first point was that Indian kids at schools are not lacking English skills. Some people tend to think all immigrants are inferior to US born people and don't speak English, which is ridiculous and ignorant.
My second point was to indicate why Indians were getting more H1B visas initially. I know it went downhill from there and all kinds of people now get that through abuse and fraud which should be stopped. I am not disputing that.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:10 PM

18,559 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Seriously?

And all Americans who can read know the difference between there and they're. People just make that mistake on the Internet because while typing their hands "hear" the words the brain is sending and often screw up homonyms despite the fact that the typist would never in a million years make that mistake in any other context.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 08-05-2018 at 09:12 PM..

Old 08-05-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Seriously?

And all Americans who can read know the difference between there and they're.
LOL, no.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:12 PM

18,559 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Lol, yes.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Lol, yes.
I've had to correct things like that in too much work turned in to me by college graduates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas