U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-03-2008, 01:06 AM

14,874 posts, read 23,874,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasurf View Post
momof2dfw
thank you so much and I am amazed where you got all those statistics# which is very helpful... I found some nice houses in 75252 and 75248. They are a little bit closer to work and hopefully safer as well, we will know next time we go to Dallas....

also I love 75214, so close to work, but school there is not as good I guess...

house hunting is hard I have to say.... :-P but it is such a comfort I can get some help from you local experts... thanks again....
Thanks. I've said it before a million times and I'll say it again.............. I'd hate to have to move somewhere and not know anything about the area.

You do know most of the Dallas area is available on Google Maps Streetview???? You can literally "drive" down the streets and see the houses, cars, yards, stores, etc. REALLY COOL! And give you a good idea about the area along w/ the google earth view.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 01:19 AM

184 posts, read 365,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Wise move.

Let me give you a little bit more truthful info . )
You got me...I was lying Look, put it any way you want. I live there and have lived there for a while now. Where I live is not a safe haven surrounded by the getto. Notice I said the strip of road: Midway is surrounded by low income apartments and therefore crime. A look on google maps will show that Midway makes up only a slither of the area. As for walking around...well as we all know D/FW isn't exactly urban so the only places anybody does any walking around in is their own neighborhood streets. Nobody walks from their homes to grocery stores, retaurants, etc... we all drive. And driving around is not dangerous. This entire area is populated by luxury car drivers who could tell you how safe they feel...me included. Oh, and whoever told you that they waited forever to get out of their neighborhood was lying. All of our subdivisions have traffic lights when coming onto Frankford so at the longest you may waite 3 minutes at a red light. A look on google street view will verify I am not lying With that said, all my activities in the neighborhood including shopping and dining are done EAST of Midway near the Tollway and east of the Tollway down Frankford. That area is nice, VERY nice. There is even a subdivision of mansions nearby. Now nobody would build mansions in an area that was high in crime. Again, just pointing out how this area is nice and the criminal element is limited only along Midway road which is ONE road of many in this neighborhood. I agree that the street views of google maps are a great way to see how everything looks. Take a "drive" down my neighborhood: Go to the Frankford/Voss intersection, then go North on Voss. That is my home's subdivision. Then make a right on Timberglen and then another right on Vista Del Sol...that is my street Check out the neighborhood along Voss South of Frankford as well. And don't forget the area east of the Tollway on Frankford either. Good luck!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:12 AM

439 posts, read 1,035,693 times
Quote:
momof2dfw
thank you so much and I am amazed where you got all those statistics# which is very helpful... I found some nice houses in 75252 and 75248. They are a little bit closer to work and hopefully safer as well, we will know next time we go to Dallas....

also I love 75214, so close to work, but school there is not as good I guess...

house hunting is hard I have to say.... :-P but it is such a comfort I can get some help from you local experts... thanks again....
The schools in 75214 may be better than you think depending on the age of your children. The elementary schools (Lipscomb and Robert E. Lee) are really good. Same goes for Stonewall Jackson, Bonham, and Lakewood. Those elementary schools are consistently rated as recognized and exemplary. I can't vouch for the middle schools though.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:24 AM

563 posts, read 2,577,577 times
We moved out of the 75287 area just last week (so its not too far in the past) and moved to 75007. I really disliked the area and luckily we were only renting for a few months while we decided where to buy. Its hard to decide just by zip code though. A few streets in either direction of the 'hot spots' may be ok. The area we lived in (Frankford and Kelly) was not an area I felt safe in. There were car thefts on our street and pet murders(!!). There are a ton of low income apartments and, if you check out the crime stats, crime in that area is bad. Police sirens and cop cars were regular as was loud late night music. Now that's just that particular area. I have no clue about the rest of 75287.
If you have the opportunity or ability to rent short term (we rented a house - not an apartment) while you decide on where to live, then that would probably be the best way for you to figure out what section of town works best for you. We had it narrowed down to three neighborhoods when we finally started looking.
If there are kids in the picture do have a careful look at the school districts. The way the school maps are decided is odd to say the least. you could live in irving and, depending on where your house is, your child could be in one of three different school systems. If you decide on a particular public school system make absolutely sure that the home you buy is in that system. Just being in the town of the same name is no guarantee.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:58 PM

15 posts, read 34,864 times
thanks you guys, it is very helpful to hear information from different aspects.

and Ambassador, could you tell me how long do you think the commute in non-rush hour to UTSW MC (I think it is around downtown) ? google map said 25 minutes but someone said if from Plano, at least 45 minutes, your place is closer to downtown than Plano, right? TIA

I love google map's streetview thing and I checked out the Midway/Rosemead area and got very confused. I mean, everyone here agreed that the Midway strip all the way down to Addison airport is bad but from the pics I looked, the area looked normal, I mean, the roads are clean and no graffiti anywhere... IMHO, it looks even better than some places in 75206, along Ross avenue? anyway....

and cityconvo, thanks for the school info. it is a struggle for me because I really like the lakewood neighborhood and it is closer to work. I do not have kid now but plan to have one in the future... so... still debating...

but at present i will probably concentrate on the north dallas part....

Old 04-03-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
thanks you guys, it is very helpful to hear information from different aspects.

and Ambassador, could you tell me how long do you think the commute in non-rush hour to UTSW MC (I think it is around downtown) ? google map said 25 minutes but someone said if from Plano, at least 45 minutes, your place is closer to downtown than Plano, right? TIA

I love google map's streetview thing and I checked out the Midway/Rosemead area and got very confused. I mean, everyone here agreed that the Midway strip all the way down to Addison airport is bad but from the pics I looked, the area looked normal, I mean, the roads are clean and no graffiti anywhere... IMHO, it looks even better than some places in 75206, along Ross avenue? anyway....

and cityconvo, thanks for the school info. it is a struggle for me because I really like the lakewood neighborhood and it is closer to work. I do not have kid now but plan to have one in the future... so... still debating...

but at present i will probably concentrate on the north dallas part....
In NON rush hour traffic w/ a straight shot down DNT it is going to be at least 30 minutes door to door ONLY because you will be doing some "back tracking" and twisting and turning to get from the tollroad over to UTSW. It is located closer to I35E than it is DNT. Right now Mockingbird is under construction and in some areas only 1 lane each direction. When "flying" in non rush hour traffic I can make it in less than 30 minutes but that means not getting many red lights and high tailing it and praying.

Where your looking at w/ the 75287 zipcode is considered part of "Plano" only because it is PISD. It is not much closer to downtown than other areas right around it that are w/in the city limits of Plano. Which the city limit of Plano is just directly North of here.

Yes, traveling down Midway does look "normal" but most of those apartments are still considered "fairly" new. AMLI and several others that attracted the young single professionals back then was one of the popular apt management companies. That was the demographic they were shooting for. The apartments on Rosemeade just west of Midway behind the old Stop n Go were junk when they were built though much to the dismay of just about EVERYONE around at that time. What has happened as I mentioned earlier is when Katrina hit NO those escaping that ended up in the Dallas area found large concentrations of apartments that were reasonable, on a bus line and had plenty of vacancies. Some have gone to accepting Section 8 (gov't subsidized housing). When this happens you get fewer of the young professional singles living there and now it is full of families on gov't assistance, no jobs, etc.

FYI, my sis taught at one of the PISD elem schools for several years while living over there. Talk about spoiled. The parents had in hand the plans to have the playground enclosed and air conditioned She had one little girl in her class that the parents moved from Dallas to be able to put their children in Plano schools as they were supposed to be "the best". They lived in an apartment in order to live in the PISD. When she sent out b-day invitations no one went as my sis found out later that the other parents did not want to send their child to "those apartments". My sis loved the little girl and said she was the sweetest one in her class and probably one of the only ones w/ parents that REALLY wanted their child to get a good education and sacrificed for it. Sad.........

As for the "story" from someone that someone said they waited to get out of their neighborhood........... NOT a "story" as it was ME FIRSTHAND that WITNESSED IT! Along w/ my husband. *If you bother to go back and read what I said I said so much as that I WITNESSED it. Not that we ourselves were going anywhere as Frankford was bumper to bumper traffic in a dead crawl. And NO there are NOT red lights at the entrances to EVERY neighborhood. As a matter of fact there is NOT a red light located at Park Grove & Frankford where I WITNESSED the line of cars waiting to exit their "hood". Park Grove is located between DNT and Voss A look on Google streetview will let you know I'm telling the truth It will also show there is NOT a red light at Frankford and Whispering Gables. I really don't care to get into a p i s s i n g match with you but PLEASE BE HONEST WITH THIS LADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't fabricate stuff like this. Telling someone they can be somewhere in 20 minutes and they sign a lease w/o getting a chance to test drive the commute in all times of day and they find out someone told them inaccurate info does not bode well.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:36 PM

184 posts, read 365,988 times
Momof2, While neither Whispering Gables or Park Grove have red lights they both connect to Voss which DOES have a red light onto Frankford. I'm sorry you were stuck on Park Grove but all you had to do was turn around and go down to Voss to take the stoplight out. And please don't say I am fabricating things just because they are not aligning with your supposed infinite wisdom. I understand you see yourself as the D/FW expert here on the forum but understand that some of us less honorable forum members may just have some insight as well. City-Data reputation points don't equate to real world knowledge. You are correct that the commute from this area to UTSW would be roughly 30 minutes with no traffic. The other points I mentioned were alle true...including the whole redlight debate which I have just proven to you. Further proof that I may know what I'm talking about since I do live here. Again, proposing that I am somehow being dishonest and misleading to a person is out of line and I really don't see who you think you are to make such claims. I never even gave time/distance information to anywhere outside the neighborhood, so what are you talking about?

Old 04-03-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
Momof2, While neither Whispering Gables or Park Grove have red lights they both connect to Voss which DOES have a red light onto Frankford. I'm sorry you were stuck on Park Grove but all you had to do was turn around and go down to Voss to take the stoplight out.

I understand you see yourself as the D/FW expert here on the forum but understand that some of us less honorable forum members may just have some insight as well. City-Data reputation points don't equate to real world knowledge.

Further proof that I may know what I'm talking about since I do live here. Again, proposing that I am somehow being dishonest and misleading to a person is out of line and I really don't see who you think you are to make such claims. I never even gave time/distance information to anywhere outside the neighborhood, so what are you talking about?

1. PLEASE REREAD MY ORIGINAL STATEMENT!!!!!!!!! I WITNESSED people trying to get ONTO Frankford from these sidestreets! I was ON FRANKFORD! Geez, your "infinite wisdom" is not shining thru in the fact you have now two times totally misread what I have said.

2. I've never once said I am the "expert" on Dallas or such nor do I see myself as such. There are PLENTY of people out there that know MUCH more than I about the Dallas area.

3. Further proof that you can not read. Do I need to draw a diagram of all cars and streets relating to my experiences in that area? I was ON FRANKFORD and the "poor souls" I "WITNESSED" were on the side streets waiting desperately to exit from THEIR neighborhoods.

I give up......................

Old 04-04-2008, 12:32 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,553,949 times
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls....the OP has posted a topic that they are extremely interested in and would love to hear what everyone has to offer as far as thoughts and opinions. The going back and forth at each other accomplishes nothing so let's get off that track, stay on topic and see what we can do to help the OP out here. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:33 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,553,949 times
Quote:
HI:

It is very likely that my husband and I are moving to Dallas this fall and now I am trying to find a house (3bd, 2.1bath). Both of us will be working in the UT Southwestern medical center (75390).

some friends recommended north dallas because it has plano isd and is closer to work. we would like a less than 20 years old house and our buggest is around 280K.

Do you guys think this is a nice place to start with? I heard the commute is pretty bad (it is about 18 miles)... I also looked at M-street (75206) and lakewood (75214) but houses there are too expensive for us...

also we are desperately looking for a good realtor who is familiar with the 75287 area..

we would appreciate any input. Thanks a lot in advance....

....please keep the info coming folks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas