Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:14 PM

110 posts, read 379,282 times

Advertisements

Hi there.
Another stupid question some will think, but what can I say, after reading about margarita's at Todd's in Lakewood, I believe, I wonder what areas are dry and why? What exactly does it mean, no alcohol sold at all in certain towns, if true? I have heard this since I have started my "research" of Dallas and surrounding areas. Not that it matters much, but an occasional margarita saves my day
Thanks again for all replies and amount of info for all of us moving to DFW!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 09:57 PM
Tta

64 posts, read 223,157 times
there are dry, moist and wet in the DFW area...
even if you are in a dry area, you can go to a restaurant in an adjacent city to get a nice margarita and listen to jimmy buffett

Old 03-31-2008, 10:49 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times
You can still get a drink in a dry area - you just need to get a Unicard...it's free and the restaurant will take care of all of it; you just sign. But no alcohol of any kind is sold in a retail store in a dry area.

Dry areas all over the place. Near me, White Rock lake and White Rock Creek are the dividing lines. Not sure how they arrived to that. Lake Highlands is also dry. Oak Cliff is dry and you have to go north of the Trinity River to buy alcohol, but you can still drink in a restaurant.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:14 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEmommy View Post
Hi there.
Another stupid question some will think, but what can I say, after reading about margarita's at Todd's in Lakewood, I believe, I wonder what areas are dry and why? What exactly does it mean, no alcohol sold at all in certain towns, if true? I have heard this since I have started my "research" of Dallas and surrounding areas. Not that it matters much, but an occasional margarita saves my day
Thanks again for all replies and amount of info for all of us moving to DFW!!!
I live in a dry area. I did 4 laps around the Tom Thumb grocery store looking for a bottle of wine when we first moved here. I could not figure out how I missed the alchohol section, so i asked an employee and she explained the whole dry area thing. An inconvenience sometimes but I don't drink enough to really care one way or the other.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:14 AM

Thanks, just wasn't sure if it was true and why. Does not matter, I'm still looking to move...

Old 04-01-2008, 08:23 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
I don't think it's near the headache it was even ten years ago. Most cities in the Metroplex have had the election to sell beer/wine at grocery stores and gas stations. So if you happen to be in a "dry" town, you probably are only as far as the city limits to a beer/wine store.

Now liquor is a bit different. Off the top of my head there's Buckingham (former 1 sq mile "wet" city annexed by Richardson), Addison, somewhere in The Colony, University Park, and the Samuell Grand Park area that sell liquor. Which isn't exactly the most convenient thing if you are not close to those areas. But it also isn't like we aren't headed that direction occasionally. We've actually got a circle of friends in the neighborhood that will do a shout-out letting everyone know they are doing a run and does anyone need anything.

Although now that we're buying Crown Royal by the case, my trips are fewer and farther between.

As far as drinks with dinner (or without), I don't think there's many places you can't get something to drink. Either the city has passed the election or there's a Unicard/membership in place.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:28 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,436 times
Is all of Oak Cliff dry?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:09 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
You can also get liquor in Dallas around Walnut Hill and Stemmons. There used to be a liquor store just north of Lewisville on I35E across the lake in Hickory Creek - don't know if that is still there. Of course there is Mobile City out I30 between Rockwall and Royce City. Now THAT was a smart person that thought of that one. LOL!!! That little area of residents incorporated their little patch of land for liquor sales and put up one building w/ two seperate stores with one being beer/wine and the other "liquor and beer/wine". Talk about a happenin place.

It is not as bad as it used to be but even then when a lot of the suburbs were "dry" it still wasn't a big deal. Guess just all in what one is used to. I could always spot a newcomer to the area in the grocery store I'd usually ask if they were looking for something and of course it was always beer or wine.

ALSO, the "wet" and "dry" areas are not by city limit boundries. They are set by jurisiction lines and one area can be in two different cities but in one "jurisdiction". Those that reside in that area are permited to vote on a "wet/dry" election. Most have gone "wet" but with only beer/wine sales and not liquor. Even in "dry" areas you can by a drink at most eating establishments. Few don't sell alcoholic drinks.

Hey, I've seen Sigel's deliver. I'm wondering how big of an order one needs to get "home delivery"

Old 04-01-2008, 10:41 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,773 times
Grand Prairie recently started selling beer in convenience stores and possibly wine in those stores, too, at least near the border to Arlington. Arlington started selling wine in the grocery stores about two years ago, used to only sell beer. But for hard liquor I still have to go Dallas or Fort Worth. We go to Fort Worth anyway for the wine stores just because there is a larger selection than at a grocery.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:53 AM

And people here think it's soooo bad there is no beer/wine sales on Sunday!!!! Momof2dfw, if I start delivery business, I'll let you know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas