Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 02:16 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times

Advertisements

Couple things:

1) Dallas is mostly laid out on a grid, except when it isn't. That "except when it isn't" can be "interesting". Like, Skillman starts out going north and south parallel to Abrams, then bends more and more to the east till it intersects Abrams and then it heads east for a bit until it turns into Forest Ln. The area just south of the M streets on through downtown is plenty confusing because there are actually three different street alignments in Dallas: the oldest bit runs kind of west-southwest to east-northeast, then north of that the streets run at 45 degrees to the compass, and then a north-south-east-west grid that has exceptions. Nothing like navigating in New England, but if you have been living in a Midwest city with a total grid, you have to learn where things are.

2) There is no intersection of Greenville Ave. and Northwest Hwy. You have to go around on other streets.

3) As for rain, welcome to the southern Great Plains. Rain like pouring water straight out of a bucket is one of the standard modalities.

4) That area over by Abrams and the Target is the White Rock Creek bottom land. Creek bottoms do that when it rains heavily. That's why none of the older developments are built in creek bottoms. There are some areas of town where developers did build down in creek bottoms. Don't live there, they get flooded all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 02:23 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Yes, you will def like it more than Omaha.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:56 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Thanks for the update! Glad you’re settling in to your new life here. It sounds like you’re living on the east end of Lake Highlands.

And that Wal Mart - Sam’s combo on Skillman is super confusing! It’s not just you!! I’m a Target girl myself; the Super Target at Skillman & Abrams is great!

Thank you! I saw a sign that said, 'Something-Meadows', but honestly can't recall what, exactly, it was, lol- Lol, as for Walmart, yes it is crazy- and as much as I like getting the deals at WallyWorld, I'm just so not up to that shopping center quite yet, lol- I've been out to the Target a few times now and I think I'll just stick with that for a while, lol!

Old 09-27-2018, 10:04 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Thanks for the update! Glad you’re settling in to your new life here. It sounds like you’re living on the east end of Lake Highlands.

And that Wal Mart - Sam’s combo on Skillman is super confusing! It’s not just you!! I’m a Target girl myself; the Super Target at Skillman & Abrams is great!
Right?!?!?! That Sam's is creepy. It's like going down into a mine. I'd never go there by myself at any hour of the day; dark parking garages creep me out.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Right?!?!?! That Sam's is creepy. It's like going down into a mine. I'd never go there by myself at any hour of the day; dark parking garages creep me out.

Lol, I have to tell what actually happened when we were there- we came out of Walmart just loaded down, I asked the security guard how to get back down to the parking garage, he said 'elevator' ...had I checked, I would have noticed that the escalator had a side thing where the front of the cart would hook and you could take it down that way, but I digress, lol...

So....

I head down the escalator to wait for my husband who took the cart down the elevator. I'm waiting. Door is opening. Closing. No husband. Opening. Closing. Still, no husband. This happens several times. I'm starting to get a little panicked (he had the jeep keys/phone/etc.), when after a good ten minutes he finally comes out of the elevator. Tells me that he had accidentally gone down another floor, to another parking garage that looked exactly like the one we were parked on....and couldn't figure out where I was. He was wandering around the garage, looking for me and our Jeep, when he finally figured out that there was actually another level and he was on it, but the Jeep and I weren't--lol.

Guys...we were so freaking tired at that stage in the moving game, it was bound to happen, hahaha~

Old 09-28-2018, 07:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
Lol, I have to tell what actually happened when we were there- we came out of Walmart just loaded down, I asked the security guard how to get back down to the parking garage, he said 'elevator' ...had I checked, I would have noticed that the escalator had a side thing where the front of the cart would hook and you could take it down that way, but I digress, lol...

So....

I head down the escalator to wait for my husband who took the cart down the elevator. I'm waiting. Door is opening. Closing. No husband. Opening. Closing. Still, no husband. This happens several times. I'm starting to get a little panicked (he had the jeep keys/phone/etc.), when after a good ten minutes he finally comes out of the elevator. Tells me that he had accidentally gone down another floor, to another parking garage that looked exactly like the one we were parked on....and couldn't figure out where I was. He was wandering around the garage, looking for me and our Jeep, when he finally figured out that there was actually another level and he was on it, but the Jeep and I weren't--lol.

Guys...we were so freaking tired at that stage in the moving game, it was bound to happen, hahaha~
You're a brave soul. I'd have freaked out. There's gotta be another Sam's around there that isn't in a creepy underground lair.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:07 PM

80 posts, read 73,330 times
Not to rain on your parade, but DFW is nothing like Cali, or anywhere on the West Coast. Born and raised in WA; lived in So Cal for 8. Been in DFW for 3 months, for the same reason; work. Real adjustment, let me tell you. Best of luck.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeliza View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but DFW is nothing like Cali, or anywhere on the West Coast. Born and raised in WA; lived in So Cal for 8. Been in DFW for 3 months, for the same reason; work. Real adjustment, let me tell you. Best of luck.

Oh I totally believe you- I was born and raised in California, lived there my entire life- then moved to Michigan where my husband is from, lived between there and Omaha for a good decade- the people in the mid-west (NE, MI) are a lot different in mentality than the people where I'm from, where it seems like everyone is very friendly and laid back. Mid-west seem to be a lot more...reserved, etc.- I'm sure I overwhelmed more than my share with my Big Ol' California Personality, hahaha~

Once we hit Texas, it was, like...that level of friendliness I remember from back home, it doesn't particularly look the same- somewhat, but not...the weather isn't exactly the same, either...somewhat, again, but not....but it reminds me a lot more of California than either Omaha or Michigan, and that was an awesome surprise- I hadn't really realized just how much I had missed that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas