Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 08:39 AM

24 posts, read 29,902 times

Advertisements

I have a question about the neighborhood directly west of Love Field Airport. The area I am talking about is bounded on the south by Empire Central, the north by Burbank St, the west by Harry Hines, and the east by Denton Drive. I have driven by it in the car quite a lot and seems like the neighborhood is generally well kept with some houses great looking, and others in need of slight repair but nothing bad looking. It seems like a quiet neighborhood maybe off some people's radar. What are your thoughts on this neighborhood? Living or renting there perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 10:52 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Look at the crime rates. That's still a fairly rough neighborhood.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:22 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
A few years ago I would have said Hell no! Now? Maybe, for an investment property but I still wouldn't live there. At the rate Dallas is gentrifying that's probably the next neighborhood builders will start bulldozing to put up McMansions. Everything to the south of that has become more expensive. I prefer the neighborhood between Cedar Springs/Maple off Hudnall, but Grauwyler Park is probably going to be similar in the coming years.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:02 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
A few years ago I would have said Hell no! Now? Maybe, for an investment property but I still wouldn't live there. At the rate Dallas is gentrifying that's probably the next neighborhood builders will start bulldozing to put up McMansions. Everything to the south of that has become more expensive. I prefer the neighborhood between Cedar Springs/Maple off Hudnall, but Grauwyler Park is probably going to be similar in the coming years.
It blows my mind every time I go to an event at Brook Hollow Country Club (the most prestigious club in Dallas) that it’s in a neighborhood where there are still “by the hour” motels and obvious prostitutes walking the streets.

OP, I would not want to “urban pioneer” that neighborhood. I’m sure it will flip eventually and when it does, you’ll still have plenty of time to make a lot of money flipping there. Ask anyone who bought in sone of the formerly dilapidated neighborhoods south and east of Bishop Arts. That area started turning 10-15 years ago and is still on a major upswing. Anyone who bought 8, 5, even 3 years ago is going to make a killing when they sell and they didn’t have to be the first ones there picking up syringes, empty dime bags, and junkies off their yards every morning.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
It blows my mind every time I go to an event at Brook Hollow Country Club (the most prestigious club in Dallas) that it’s in a neighborhood where there are still “by the hour” motels and obvious prostitutes walking the streets.

OP, I would not want to “urban pioneer” that neighborhood. I’m sure it will flip eventually and when it does, you’ll still have plenty of time to make a lot of money flipping there. Ask anyone who bought in sone of the formerly dilapidated neighborhoods south and east of Bishop Arts. That area started turning 10-15 years ago and is still on a major upswing. Anyone who bought 8, 5, even 3 years ago is going to make a killing when they sell and they didn’t have to be the first ones there picking up syringes, empty dime bags, and junkies off their yards every morning.
There is only one motel on that stretch of Harry Hines, and I have no idea if it's by the hour or not. It is sketchy looking but I drive by there on occasion and haven't once seen an obvious prostitute, although I have heard stories from many years ago of that going on, but hookers on Harry Hines seems to be a relic of the past. Further down on Harry Hines there are a lot of homeless people because of the Salvation Army and Parkland.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:37 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
There is only one motel on that stretch of Harry Hines, and I have no idea if it's by the hour or not. It is sketchy looking but I drive by there on occasion and haven't once seen an obvious prostitute, although I have heard stories from many years ago of that going on, but hookers on Harry Hines seems to be a relic of the past. Further down on Harry Hines there are a lot of homeless people because of the Salvation Army and Parkland.
You’re right....the one I’m thinking of is closer to the market center, the Living Inn. It’s $37/night and doesn’t allow kids according to google reviews. I have seen hookers on that corner as recently as June.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You’re right....the one I’m thinking of is closer to the market center, the Living Inn. It’s $37/night and doesn’t allow kids according to google reviews. I have seen hookers on that corner as recently as June.
I had to google that one but I know where it is, and haven't seen a prostitute around there either. That area was very rough just a few years ago but they are tearing houses down there like crazy and building new expensive townhouses within walking distance of that motel:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-36188?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-14440?view=qv

Old 08-13-2018, 10:23 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,484,640 times
There are several neighborhoods around there like that. Seems like ripe for renewal. Who knows where city wants the next improvement district to be. Seems like for now they are focusing on West Dallas, but this area seems perfect location.

Just need 10 families or so to really get involved, make sure their street looks great and start promoting it.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:00 PM

24 posts, read 29,902 times
Quote:

I see that Hudnall St neighborhood is just off the whole Parkland hospital district. What are some things you like about that neighborhood? i am vaguely familiar with the area.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:12 PM

59 posts, read 71,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klorider76 View Post
I see that Hudnall St neighborhood is just off the whole Parkland hospital district. What are some things you like about that neighborhood? i am vaguely familiar with the area.
the ducks!

https://www.dallasvoice.com/oak-lawn...-10239157.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas