Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 10:24 AM

11,821 posts, read 26,709,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I've never heard a livestock report in DFW.

You will find very few people in Plano or Frisco who are into horse culture. Almost none of them will own horses.
I've only heard that on rural radio stations back when I lived out in west Texas where there are actual cattle ranches.

Plano used to have a lot of horse places on the east side, but most (if not all) of them are now housing developments. One of the best saddleseat/Saddlebred show barns in Texas was in east Plano. I don't know if it's still there. Equestrian Professional Member Spotlight - Patti Milligan and Milligan Stables

Most of the horse places have moved up towards Aubrey/Pilot Point (AKA "Show Row") and Argyle. But development is approaching them quickly.

Quote:
I own cowboy boots and I wear them fairly frequently which is much more often that most people. You will almost never see them in Dallas unless it's the state fair, country music concert, or a work site. I bet the majority of people who live in DFW have never owned cowboy boots, natives included..

Fort Worth, yes, you will see them more often.
Cowboy boots and even cowboy hats are very common in Fort Worth. Men there will wear both with a suit, even in court and at professional events.
Funny story: last time I had jury duty in Fort Worth, I wore my cowgirl boots. When I walked in the courthouse, there was a metal detector, and the sheriff deputies asked me to remove my shoes before I went through it. Fortunately, they conveniently had a chair and a boot jack! (It is darn near impossible to remove one's own tall boots while standing without a boot jack device!) It was Fort Worth, after all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 10:28 AM

8,021 posts, read 3,594,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
So none of you ever go anywhere else internationally but Europe? The plus of being in DFW is nonstop to Hawaii, Asia and Australia is available. The world has skewed westward. Also, DFW, Vegas is what 2 hours? L.A. is 3 hours. S.F 3 1/2. Seattle - 4, places

If you like skiing, its a quick flight to Santa Fe or up to Denver. Park City UT -3 hours for you snow boarding fix. I know there are ski resorts on the east coast but I also know none of them are of the quality in the Rockies where Olympics have been held.

I have listed Europe, Caribbean and Hawaii as being expensive out of DFW, Can't speak of flights to Asia, haven't gone in a long time.

Skiing has become so expensive in NA, that the last thing I need is pay for 4 airplane tickets, especially during the winter or spring break. We drive. And even if the cost is not an issue, the quick flight does not quite amount to quick trip considering the overhead. From my door to Breckenridge, if flying, it is about 7+ hours in good weather.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:44 AM

419 posts, read 550,044 times
I think a lot of people are splitting hairs over points that were made just to illustrate the cultural differences between the two locations. I grew up, as did a lot of folks in NE, not taking many vacations via plane because your entire family lived in NE and you could be in the mountains or at the ocean via car in under two hours. Or both in the same day if you wanted. Not saying Mexico is better than the Cape, or that there is nothing to do in Texas, but it IS VERY different. We never struggle to find things to do on the weekends in TX, but we find we have to work harder and plan ahead to do things we could do impulsively in Mass like take a hike or go skiing or spend a few hours at the beach. If that isn't part of your lifestyle, you won't miss it.

Everything is new here. At first it feels sterile and like it all looks the same. But now I travel home and these places look so run down and dirty and depressing. The roads and highway systems are incredible. People love to complain about the traffic but it's nothing in comparison. You have more opportunity to live near where you work and those minutes (or hours) that you get back in commute time you just can't put a price on.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:22 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,404,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keribeth818 View Post
I think a lot of people are splitting hairs over points that were made just to illustrate the cultural differences between the two locations. I grew up, as did a lot of folks in NE, not taking many vacations via plane because your entire family lived in NE and you could be in the mountains or at the ocean via car in under two hours. Or both in the same day if you wanted. Not saying Mexico is better than the Cape, or that there is nothing to do in Texas, but it IS VERY different. We never struggle to find things to do on the weekends in TX, but we find we have to work harder and plan ahead to do things we could do impulsively in Mass like take a hike or go skiing or spend a few hours at the beach. If that isn't part of your lifestyle, you won't miss it.

Everything is new here. At first it feels sterile and like it all looks the same. But now I travel home and these places look so run down and dirty and depressing. The roads and highway systems are incredible. People love to complain about the traffic but it's nothing in comparison. You have more opportunity to live near where you work and those minutes (or hours) that you get back in commute time you just can't put a price on.
Great post. Rep 4u.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:11 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,100,528 times
Quote:
Just because there are places that are more humid doesn't make Dallas semi-arid. Not at all. We are actually around the national average for rain/humidity, of course with well above the average temperatures. We also get ALOT of rain, like 3 feet a year. most of the west gets about 1/3 of that.
Yeah, but Dallas is interesting when it comes to precipitation. Rainfall (total inches), it is much closer to Boston but the # of rainy or wet days is about equal to Denver's (around 80 days/year). So less than 1/4 of the year it rains in Dallas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Dallas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver#Climate

Summer humidity levels in Dallas also sits in-between Boston & Denver, although is much more equivalent to Boston the rest of the year.

Sunshine is also interesting. Dallas averages more "clear days" (135 days) than Denver (115) or Boston (98), but sits in between Boston & Denver for sunshine hours.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ne-by-city.php

These are just observations. Boston & Denver seem "typical" for their region, but Dallas is quite odd. It could be why some perceive it to be "drier" than it actually is, whether we're talking rainfall or humidity levels.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:27 PM

27 posts, read 23,750 times
Thank you all for the thoughts and discussions.

A quick update: we went down to DFW over the weekend and it was indeed hot on Saturday and Sunday but Monday was ok because of the rain. We even went to a few open houses in Plano and Frisco. The houses are bigger but we noticed that the back yard are generally sort of small.

After I hinted that I may resign, my current employer want to keep me by offering me a one-time bonus of $20k but would not increase my base salary.

Kids still don't want to move even after seeing the bigger houses with a big game room and wife still wants to move b/c she thinks the schools in Quincy are not good. It is still a dilemma.

I chatted with a few realtors during the open houses regarding the schools. All of them said the schools are very good in both Plano and Frisco and some of them said the competition in some of the schools (Jasper in Plano / Liberty in Frisco) is insane. I was even told by one realtor that some kids stay up until 3AM to finish homework/project. Wife said that is good competition but I don't agree. I don't want the kids get too stressed out.

Still undecided but we most likely will stay in Boston area.

Thanks again everyone! You guys are awesome!

Old 09-04-2018, 05:35 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,227,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I've only heard that on rural radio stations back when I lived out in west Texas where there are actual cattle ranches.

Plano used to have a lot of horse places on the east side, but most (if not all) of them are now housing developments. One of the best saddleseat/Saddlebred show barns in Texas was in east Plano. I don't know if it's still there. Equestrian Professional Member Spotlight - Patti Milligan and Milligan Stables

Most of the horse places have moved up towards Aubrey/Pilot Point (AKA "Show Row") and Argyle. But development is approaching them quickly.
Yeah, I didn't mean that there aren't people who have horses there, even places like Los Angeles county has stables and ranches, but that the vast vast majority of Plano residents are not only are not involved with horses, but may never have actually ridden a horse before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post

Cowboy boots and even cowboy hats are very common in Fort Worth. Men there will wear both with a suit, even in court and at professional events.
Funny story: last time I had jury duty in Fort Worth, I wore my cowgirl boots. When I walked in the courthouse, there was a metal detector, and the sheriff deputies asked me to remove my shoes before I went through it. Fortunately, they conveniently had a chair and a boot jack! (It is darn near impossible to remove one's own tall boots while standing without a boot jack device!) It was Fort Worth, after all!
Yeah, much more common than Dallas. I'll wear my boots and jeans if I'm dressing informally business in Fort Worth for the formal equivalency of khakis or chinos and a golf shirt in Dallas.

But while not uncommon in Fort Worth, I've never seen someone wear a cowboy hat with a suit in Dallas. Rarely I've seen dress boots, but thats pretty rare.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:17 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,388,195 times
Quote:
I've never heard a livestock report in DFW.

You need to remember that she lives in East Texas, or about as far away from you relatively speaking as Portland, Maine.

Absolutely do not dress your kid up like a cowboy if you live in Plano or Frisco unless you want your kid to be that weird kid who moved down from the North East and started dressing like a cowboy.

You will find very few people in Plano or Frisco who are into horse culture. Almost none of them will own horses.

I own cowboy boots and I wear them fairly frequently which is much more often that most people. You will almost never see them in Dallas unless it's the state fair, country music concert, or a work site. I bet the majority of people who live in DFW have never owned cowboy boots, natives included..

Fort Worth, yes, you will see them more often.

I would be willing to bet the weather will be a bigger shock than the culture if you stick to the North Dallas burbs you won't feel like you are on a ranch.
I believe the poster you were responding to lives "south of Philly" and according to her zip code, she lives about 6 and a half hours from Portland, Maine.

To clarify, I live in a very white collar, professional small city (Tyler) about an hour and a half east of Dallas. MIDLAND, TX is about 6 hours from me, but Dallas/Plano/Frisco is an hour and a half away. In fact, we go to the DFW area several times a month, to visit friends and family and that sort of thing. When we have family come in from out of state, we often take them to the Fort Worth Stockyards and/or rodeo as well.

People here do not generally dress up in "cowboy attire" unless it's for actual cowboy type work, or if they are going out boot scootin'. That being said, I was surprised at how many minorities around here (of every skin tone) dress in western wear. (Another cool fact - Texas is one of four majority/minority states, where white, non Hispanic folks make up less than 50 percent of the overall population.) If you don't think western wear is fairly common even in "the big city," then take a gander at just these boot stores in the DFW area:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/b.../data=!3m1!4b1
Hey, we've got them here too so it's not east Texans driving to DFW to buy western wear - it's people who live in that area keeping those stores in business.

I agree, though, do not dress a 13 year old up like a cowboy - unless he's going to a rodeo. You will see more cowboy attire in Fort Worth though than in Dallas, and certainly in Plano or Frisco.

It's called DFW for a reason - Fort Worth is right next door. Along with the Fort Worth Stockyards. There's lots of "cowboy culture" in Fort Worth - actually a lot more than there is here in the Tyler area. Fort Worth is famous for it's stock yards. Historically speaking of course. There's a "cattle drive" through the Fort Worth stockyards just about every day. It's really worth visiting. There's a weekend rodeo there too just about every weekend.
https://www.fortworthstockyards.org/

Plano and Frisco are "city burbs." Definitely not cowboy country. That being said, I'd be willing to bet that most native Texans living in the DFW area have a pair of cowboy boots, and maybe a hat as well, in their closet. You will also see a lot of pickup trucks throughout Texas - in DFW too.

Here's a handy map of livestock auction barns for your reading pleasure! LOL
https://www.google.com/maps/search/t.../data=!3m1!4b1
Oh, and here is a list put out by the Texas Department of Agriculture regarding livestock auctions - check it out (Dallas and Fort Worth are on the list, as well as some other DFW area auction barns.) There are some links to market reports on this list as well. I guess they've sort of taken the place of the "livestock report" that used to come on at 5 am before the news - heck I don't watch it so I have no idea whether it's still playing or not but believe me, it was a culture shock to me the first time I heard it!
Texas Livestock Auctions

Like I said, I live an hour and a half east of Dallas. Between here and Dallas are NUMEROUS cattle ranches and many of them are owned by wealthy folks from the DFW area, many of whom come to this area on the weekends - I guess they feel like they are really out in the country or something, who knows. Lots of longhorns too which are really cool.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 09-04-2018 at 07:02 PM..

Old 09-04-2018, 07:34 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,100,528 times
[quote=RoeTheRoamer;52996668]

Kids still don't want to move even after seeing the bigger houses with a big game room and wife still wants to move b/c she thinks the schools in Quincy are not good. It is still a dilemma.

I chatted with a few realtors during the open houses regarding the schools. All of them said the schools are very good in both Plano and Frisco and some of them said the competition in some of the schools (Jasper in Plano / Liberty in Frisco) is insane. I was even told by one realtor that some kids stay up until 3AM to finish homework/project. Wife said that is good competition but I don't agree. I don't want the kids get too stressed out.

/QUOTE]

Sometimes there is more to life than having a bigger house or staying up until 3 AM doing homework. Competition for what? Sleep is incredibly important to one's health and dare I say productivity as an adult. You can't function in school or the workplace without adequate sleep. Think again if you want to live in a school community with "values" like that.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:54 PM

27 posts, read 23,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post

Sometimes there is more to life than having a bigger house or staying up until 3 AM doing homework. Competition for what? Sleep is incredibly important to one's health and dare I say productivity as an adult. You can't function in school or the workplace without adequate sleep. Think again if you want to live in a school community with "values" like that.

Thanks! I totally agree with you on everything you wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas