Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 05:18 PM

22 posts, read 48,704 times

Advertisements

Hello guys,

I am a AA female, 31yo, single, no kids. I am moving to Dallas in 6 weeks because of a job offer. What area should I move to?

The job is located in Richardson, TX. Its off of Lake Park Boulevard. I need to be within 30 mins of the job.

I want to be in an area where I will at least run into black people sometimes. LOL
I like a nicer upscale area, with bars, and places to hang out.

The suggestions for me have been .....Addison, Downtown Richardson, Highland Park

Please Help!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 06:10 PM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Uptown will be within 30 min and is a great place for single professionals.. Dallas is diverse, and you’ll find plenty of AA’s all over. But you certainly want to live among others in your age range.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:11 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
What's your budget?
Will you be renting or buying?
House or apartment/condo?

Highland Park is ultra expensive, and there are few people your age there.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:49 PM

I make good money. For instance I’m renting an apartment in Buckhead, ATL now. I’ll be renting. Definitely wouldn’t buy a house off the bat

Old 09-17-2018, 09:08 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirlTrynaMove View Post
I make good money. For instance I’m renting an apartment in Buckhead, ATL now. I’ll be renting. Definitely wouldn’t buy a house off the bat
So you decided on Dallas, eh? Congrats and good luck.

I'd skip Highland Park.

Addison, Richardson, Uptown, maybe even Oak Lawn or Lower Greenville.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:11 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Quote:
Hello guys,

I am a AA female, 31yo, single, no kids. I am moving to Dallas in 6 weeks because of a job offer. What area should I move to?

The job is located in Richardson, TX. Its off of Lake Park Boulevard. I need to be within 30 mins of the job.

I want to be in an area where I will at least run into black people sometimes. LOL
I like a nicer upscale area, with bars, and places to hang out.

The suggestions for me have been .....Addison, Downtown Richardson, Highland Park

Please Help!!!!!
Another thread?

Just take the last one....

Black professionals dating in dallas/houston

Old 09-17-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
So you decided on Dallas, eh? Congrats and good luck.

I'd skip Highland Park.

Addison, Richardson, Uptown, maybe even Oak Lawn or Lower Greenville.

Yes I decided being close to family was more important.
And the job offer came way faster than expected. Thanks

Old 09-20-2018, 12:18 PM

14 posts, read 7,955 times
Quote:
Yes I decided being close to family was more important.
And the job offer came way faster than expected. Thanks
There is a guy on youtube (Built4Anything) who shares a lot of great information on moving to Dallas. He is pretty responsive, check out his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwtRN2ZLp-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iFliBHwkp0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp4gzwiGtfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BWowK-VR_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyKZkfQ74r4

Old 09-22-2018, 12:10 PM

6 posts, read 4,959 times
I'm a 31yo black male in Richardson and if you are looking to have at least some interaction with young black people around our age, I'd cancel Richardson and Highland Park. You'll see a majority Asian, Indian, and Caucasian around these parts. The closer downtown the better (Deep Ellum, Uptown) and Addison has its areas too. Rent starts from $1100+. I'd highly suggest viewing ratings (Google, Yelp, Apartment Ratings, etc.) as people are pretty honest on their experiences with their apartments. Also have an open mind before coming. It can be a bit of a culture shock for someone coming from ATL. I'm originally from AL but spent a LOT of time in Atlanta and love our culture there but you will not find clusters of that here. I'd suggest doing a shorter lease on your first apartment and get a feel for the city; that way, you won't be tied to a long term apt lease in the case that you don't like your area (or apartment). Plenty of YouTube videos will give an overall view of Dallas (the gentleman listed above, Jouelzy, QueeninWitKi, etc.). Also keep in mind that traffic is horrid here and the light rail isn't that great for certain areas. That being said, Dallas is BIG BIG and spread out to the max so keep this in mind when planning your morning commute. They have toll roads but depending on your route, they may not be needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas