Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 03:35 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

I read article that flu shots that are cultured in insect medium (like caterpillars) has slight edge in better protection against catching flu and I know that in some ways getting flu shot is crap shoot since the virus can mutate and be a different strain than what has been anticipated when designing this year's virus

Different Pharma companies culture in various ways--
Anyone know which ones use insect medium?
I will try to Google but since pharmacies buy the vaccines via their sourcing, they don't advertise the brand they are offering and don't know how easy this will be to find w/o calling various pharmacies to find out...

I know some people don't get flu shots for variety of reasons---
We do---
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 02:51 AM

179 posts, read 80,537 times
I've never had the flu, even when I lived in the Bay Area which seemed to have a dozen different strains at epidemic stages all the time, so I never get flu shots. Could be just dumb luck, so I do carry those bacteria killing wipes with me when going to the stores and wipe down the handles of grocery carts and the like.

I've read the same articles, and they sound logical enough, and viruses do mutate like crazy; I don't how to find out how Pharmas make theirs, but if nobody responds I'll look around and ask some medical people I know. I'd like to know myself, just out of curiosity. Doesn't sound like something they would advertise on the www or internet.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:19 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I read article that flu shots that are cultured in insect medium (like caterpillars) has slight edge in better protection against catching flu and I know that in some ways getting flu shot is crap shoot since the virus can mutate and be a different strain than what has been anticipated when designing this year's virus

Different Pharma companies culture in various ways--
Anyone know which ones use insect medium?
I will try to Google but since pharmacies buy the vaccines via their sourcing, they don't advertise the brand they are offering and don't know how easy this will be to find w/o calling various pharmacies to find out...

I know some people don't get flu shots for variety of reasons---
We do---
The problem with last year's vaccine was that one of the viral components mutated as it adapted to the eggs which are used to grow virus for some flu vaccines.

There are now other alternatives that do not use eggs. One, Flucelvax, uses a system derived from dog kidney cells. Another, Flublok, is the one you are thinking of.

Flucelvax uses actual flu virus. Flublok uses insect cells that are infected with an insect virus that makes them produce hemagglutinin, the protein in flu vaccine that stimulates production of antibodies to the flu virus.

FDA approves first flu vaccine grown in insect cells | CIDRAP

More on Flublok:

https://thevaccinereaction.org/2017/...uenza-vaccine/

Old 09-25-2018, 09:16 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,626 times
Is the flu shot safe for pregnant women?

Old 09-25-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Check with your OBGYN
No way would I give advice on that topic...
And no one else should either

Old 09-25-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The problem with last year's vaccine was that one of the viral components mutated as it adapted to the eggs which are used to grow virus for some flu vaccines.

There are now other alternatives that do not use eggs. One, Flucelvax, uses a system derived from dog kidney cells. Another, Flublok, is the one you are thinking of.

Flucelvax uses actual flu virus. Flublok uses insect cells that are infected with an insect virus that makes them produce hemagglutinin, the protein in flu vaccine that stimulates production of antibodies to the flu virus.

More on Flublok:

Why don't more doctors discuss this type of issue/factor/information w/their patients
I had a more serious reaction when I got a high dose flu shot about 3 yrs ago
I don't want another reaction like that--not anaphylaxis but swollen arm, rash, face swollen--lasted 4-5days

Old 09-25-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

More on Flublok:

That. Second article is funny in a way
People in my local area. HEB/NRichalnd Hills are complaining because many have army worms invading.
Eating their yards...

Old 09-26-2018, 12:18 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Yes, and recommended.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vacc...acpregnant.htm

"Is it safe for pregnant women and their developing babies to get a flu shot?

Yes. Flu shots have been given to millions of pregnant women over many years with a good safety record. There is a large body of scientific studies that supports the safety of flu vaccine in pregnant women and their babies. CDC continues to gather data on this topic."

Link to more info at the CDC site.

Quote:
Check with your OBGYN
No way would I give advice on that topic...
And no one else should either
How about the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/pregnant.htm

"Flu vaccines given during pregnancy help protect both the mother and her baby from flu. Vaccination has been shown to reduce the risk of flu-associated acute respiratory infection in pregnant women by up to one-half. Pregnant women who get a flu vaccine are also helping to protect their babies from flu illness for the first several months after their birth, when they are too young to get vaccinated."

ACOG:

https://www.acog.org/About-ACOG/News...ring-Pregnancy

"ACOG continues to recommend that all women receive the influenza vaccine. This is particularly important during pregnancy. Influenza vaccination is an essential element of prenatal care because pregnant women are at an increased risk of serious illness and mortality due to influenza. In addition, maternal vaccination is the most effective strategy to protect newborns because the vaccine is not approved for use in infants younger than six months."

AAP:

https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-...2017-2018.aspx

"Influenza vaccine should be given to all women who are pregnant, considering pregnancy or are in the postpartum period or are breastfeeding during the flu season."

Quote:
Why don't more doctors discuss this type of issue/factor/information w/their patients
I had a more serious reaction when I got a high dose flu shot about 3 yrs ago
I don't want another reaction like that--not anaphylaxis but swollen arm, rash, face swollen--lasted 4-5days
Imagine how you might have reacted to a full blown influenza infection.

The reaction you had was caused by your own immune system gearing up. It might have happened with any of the flu vaccines.

Quote:
That. Second article is funny in a way
People in my local area. HEB/NRichalnd Hills are complaining because many have army worms invading.
Eating their yards...

Old 09-26-2018, 06:27 AM

52 posts, read 46,209 times
I havent gotten the flu shot in years. Even with a pregnant wife and newborn baby. You just need to make sure not to touch surfaces like public door knobs/railings, keep hand sanitizer with you etc and youll be fine.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:36 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,210,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconndoitt View Post
I havent gotten the flu shot in years. Even with a pregnant wife and newborn baby. You just need to make sure not to touch surfaces like public door knobs/railings, keep hand sanitizer with you etc and youll be fine.
Very bad advice. According to the CDC: "
People with flu can spread it to others up to about 6 feet away. Most experts think that flu viruses spread mainly by droplets made when people with flu cough, sneeze or talk. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Less often, a person might get flu by touching a surface or object that has flu virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes."

You either have a really great immune system or you've been lucky.

If you want more information about the flu I highly recommend the CDC's website: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/index.htm This is the website I recommended when I was a librarian. My supervisor was a former nurse and she told me to refer questions about the flu to the CDC's website. It's what we call an authoritative source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas