Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:24 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,659,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Yes, Auburn Hills is Prosper schools but i wouldn't rate them that much better than McKinney schools. With Auburn Hills being in the extreme southeast corner of the Prosper ISD boundaries, you would never feel like you were in the middle of things. will always be the furthest out from the core of what is happening in the area. That location thing would make me choose McKinney ISD.

The fact that Erwin Farms is not directly off of 380 makes it feel a little more secluded and I think time will bear that out moreso than Auburn Hills. I believe the bypass plans would go north of it enough that it would not impact the neighborhood to a great degree. Auburn Hill directly abuts 380. the entrance will either directly open on to the access road if the current route is chosen to be upgraded to freeway status. If the bypass goes to the north, 380 will still be a major thoroughfare and i can see major commercial or office going in at the entrance adjacent to the community.

I give Erwin Farms the edge strictly because of these location issues.
Hey. I bought and now live in Erwin Farms so you are preaching to the choir, BUT the ratings on the elementary and middle schools that service Erwin Farms do not have good ratings. Thats just a fact. The Prosper schools have much, much better ratings then these 2 specific schools, not to Mckinney schools as whole. My daughters went to Mckinney schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 05:40 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post
Hey. I bought and now live in Erwin Farms so you are preaching to the choir, BUT the ratings on the elementary and middle schools that service Erwin Farms do not have good ratings. Thats just a fact. The Prosper schools have much, much better ratings then these 2 specific schools, not to Mckinney schools as whole. My daughters went to Mckinney schools.
With higher dollar neighborhoods going into the McKinney ISD to the north, specifically Erwin Farms and Trinity Falls, not to mention the future mega community Sugar Creek (is that the name?) the schools on that north end will go up.

It's always good to have an eye for what will be and not just the right here and now. Lower income students are in those northern schools, that is what makes them lower rated. I dislike these rating systems that disavow perfectly good schools because there are students of lesser means in them that don't generally perform as well. Just my two cents.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:50 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,659,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
With higher dollar neighborhoods going into the McKinney ISD to the north, specifically Erwin Farms and Trinity Falls, not to mention the future mega community Sugar Creek (is that the name?) the schools on that north end will go up.

It's always good to have an eye for what will be and not just the right here and now. Lower income students are in those northern schools, that is what makes them lower rated. I dislike these rating systems that disavow perfectly good schools because there are students of lesser means in them that don't generally perform as well. Just my two cents.
100% correct. I try to tell that to my customers, but they dont see it. I bought in Erwin strictly for resale. Will live here a few years and sell.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:53 PM

36 posts, read 73,404 times
Hey marffeus and others, any decision on the 380? You guys talked about TxDOT making a decision this Spring. Expansion vs bypass 1 or 2? I've became very interested in Darling's lot in the south of Auburn Hills. Although good distance from 380, with full blown highway expansion on 380, I could see it could have an impact. Also, some lots in the eastern edge can be impacted by floods. Any concerns there ? Map says 1% chance.

Flood map:

https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search?A...hresultsanchor

FB group with news but I would want by-pass rather than 380 on 380:
https://www.facebook.com/no380bypass/

Old 03-19-2019, 05:53 PM

23 posts, read 28,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifew552 View Post
Hey marffeus and others, any decision on the 380? You guys talked about TxDOT making a decision this Spring. Expansion vs bypass 1 or 2? I've became very interested in Darling's lot in the south of Auburn Hills. Although good distance from 380, with full blown highway expansion on 380, I could see it could have an impact. Also, some lots in the eastern edge can be impacted by floods. Any concerns there ? Map says 1% chance.

Flood map:

https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search?A...hresultsanchor

FB group with news but I would want by-pass rather than 380 on 380:
https://www.facebook.com/no380bypass/
Good information there, thanks for sharing. I did also find this link:

https://communityimpact.com/dallas-f...ty-in-march-2/

Sounds like May is when decision will be announced and reading between the lines it appears they may be leaning towards the Red-B alignment which is the most ideal for anyone in Auburn Hills or Tucker Hill. The Facebook group would vehemently disagree with me on that though

Old 03-19-2019, 06:13 PM

Thank you for the info! Hot off the press. I'm also getting an impression they are leaning towards Red B. If I am not mistaking, Prosper made a lot of noise against a by-pass, which was cutting into South East corner of Prosper. I am noticing the new by-pass B has now shifted to within McKinney city line. I think McKinney told TxDOT screw Prosper, just shift the road to McKinney lol

Old 03-19-2019, 06:51 PM

23 posts, read 28,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifew552 View Post
Thank you for the info! Hot off the press. I'm also getting an impression they are leaning towards Red B. If I am not mistaking, Prosper made a lot of noise against a by-pass, which was cutting into South East corner of Prosper. I am noticing the new by-pass B has now shifted to within McKinney city line. I think McKinney told TxDOT screw Prosper, just shift the road to McKinney lol
Yep spot on! That's exactly the impression I'm getting too since that Red-B was a surprise back in October and Prosper was NOT happy. I'm very interested in the outcome of all this even if the chosen alignment won't be built for 6 to 10 more years

Old 03-20-2019, 08:00 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Prosper's town council voted for a resolution against the initial Red B plan, and told city planners not to cooperate with TXDOT in any way regarding it.

Not sure moving the bypass back to Custer is ideal, as that intersection already needs a ton of work.

From someone who used to live in McKinney and now lives in Prosper... This is McKinney's fault for not planning ahead. 5 years ago, there was NOTHING along 380. McKinney could have easily expanded 380 at that time, all the way from Coit at their western border to Community Ave, with very little business or housing developments impacted. Now unfortunately, a lot of new development has sprung up, too close to 380 to not be impacted by widening it.

Then some genius decided to have the Red alignment B cut into one of Prosper's first commercial development areas on the northwest corner of 380/Custer, and Prosper was understandably angry.

At any rate, McKinney should have been working with TXDOT years ago (they dropped the ball too) and all of this could have been avoided, and at a minimal cost. The main contention against widening 380 on 380 is that it will cost an additional $250 million or so to get it done... The cost needed to buy up all the development adjacent to 380 now.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:21 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Prosper's town council voted for a resolution against the initial Red B plan, and told city planners not to cooperate with TXDOT in any way regarding it.

Not sure moving the bypass back to Custer is ideal, as that intersection already needs a ton of work.

From someone who used to live in McKinney and now lives in Prosper... This is McKinney's fault for not planning ahead. 5 years ago, there was NOTHING along 380. McKinney could have easily expanded 380 at that time, all the way from Coit at their western border to Community Ave, with very little business or housing developments impacted. Now unfortunately, a lot of new development has sprung up, too close to 380 to not be impacted by widening it.

Then some genius decided to have the Red alignment B cut into one of Prosper's first commercial development areas on the northwest corner of 380/Custer, and Prosper was understandably angry.

At any rate, McKinney should have been working with TXDOT years ago (they dropped the ball too) and all of this could have been avoided, and at a minimal cost. The main contention against widening 380 on 380 is that it will cost an additional $250 million or so to get it done... The cost needed to buy up all the development adjacent to 380 now.
Prosper having the bypass totally within their boundaries right there seems to mean a greater concentration of commercial within Prosper city limits. They would get frontage on both sides of the bypass in that corner instead of just on the northern end. Seems like they would see this as an advantage, especially since that area is totally undeveloped as it sits right now.

As to your blaming McKinney, yes perhaps the western side could have had more right of way left alone. But what do you propose east of Community? Should the historic commercial strip of McKinney that has been in place for decades.... long before suburban growth came to the area... should it be wiped out for this road? You would lose every business on both sides of 380 between Community and McDonald for such an alignment. The cost to the taxpayer and the disruption to McKinney... including businesses that have been in place for decades.... Don't even know why this is a consideration by anyone. Except NIMBYs.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:57 PM

TxDot has spoken. By-pass it is. PDF below takes several seconds to load.

http://www.keepitmovingdallas.com/si...20to%20SH5.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas