Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 07:36 PM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Negative. I haven't set foot in Mansfield in roughly 20 years nor do I own a stitch of anything there.

It was your nonsense about Manhattan etc. lacking pretense. I say this as someone who does own a little place just outside Chelsea.
Haha, go back and re-read my post. The only thing that I said about Manhattan was that there are a ton of people with legit money that don’t try to show off their wealth due to the sheer amount of people and density. Didn’t say that there was no pretentious there. The broke people there are plenty of pretentious too...but all I did is make an opinion(everyone can disagree with MY OPINION) based off of MY observations of Mansfield and everyone got their panties in a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 11:07 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
It still has some pretentious. I think it’s a Dallas area thing as a whole. I’d hate to live in the places you listed, lol.
Dealing with the social scene in Dallas, which features pretentiousness, can be emotionally draining. You have a legitimate point.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:36 AM

817 posts, read 921,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
... If you are unattached and not about to have kids, there's no reason to be in a suburb.
Unless you work in Plano.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
Unless you work in Plano.
You have a solid point. No one's ever been able to answer why Toyota, Frito Lay, Dr. Pepper Snapple, JC Penney, HP Enterprise (formerly Ross Perot's EDS company), etc all are headquartered in Legacy Corridor. Except for Toyota, those companies have been there for decades. Why would major employers headquarter in a place that is awful for young workers? Don't they need to compete for talent? I'm sure there are younger workers who experience some inner turmoil about working for companies like that where a short commute to those places would involve a sacrifice in the quality of their social lives.

I don't know how psyched an unattached, single person working in Plano would be about commuting daily on the DNT or 75 from a central city neighbor to their job in Plano. It doesn't seem like something that is sustainable. I wonder if companies in Plano notice higher turnover with younger workers who aren't in more committed long term relationships (I'd say that'd be defined as a multiyear relationship at a minimum, and possibly living together or married).

Old 10-23-2018, 05:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I guess I just don't notice when strangers are "being pretentious."

Old 10-23-2018, 06:16 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
You have a solid point. No one's ever been able to answer why Toyota, Frito Lay, Dr. Pepper Snapple, JC Penney, HP Enterprise (formerly Ross Perot's EDS company), etc all are headquartered in Legacy Corridor. Except for Toyota, those companies have been there for decades. Why would major employers headquarter in a place that is awful for young workers? Don't they need to compete for talent? I'm sure there are younger workers who experience some inner turmoil about working for companies like that where a short commute to those places would involve a sacrifice in the quality of their social lives.

I don't know how psyched an unattached, single person working in Plano would be about commuting daily on the DNT or 75 from a central city neighbor to their job in Plano. It doesn't seem like something that is sustainable. I wonder if companies in Plano notice higher turnover with younger workers who aren't in more committed long term relationships (I'd say that'd be defined as a multiyear relationship at a minimum, and possibly living together or married).
In the 1990s lots of companies, not just the big name ones you mention, moved to the Dallas exurbs, for a couple of reasons:

1) They wanted to build a show-offy "Campus Style" headquarters, and they could have that for far less than their near-to-the-city HQ was costing them;

2) The executives wanted to be close to their gated communities wtih high performing schools.

Believe me, neither the concerns of their young urban childfree professionals, nor their hourly workers, were involved in the making of these decisions.

Do keep in mind as well that the vast majority of people working in these companies are not (and certainly weren't in the time frame under consideration) unattached carefree barhound early-20s; most of them range from mid 20 to mid 50s and have children and want to have a house near good public schools.

Why would a bunch of executives in their late 50s care about whether a 23 year old finds it hard to chase tail near his office?

Old 10-23-2018, 06:52 AM

19,771 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:

It's a shame these outfits didn't consult you in advance. It seems they've made a series of terrible mistakes and you might have saved them untold headaches vis a vis staffing problems. Maybe you should start a HQ relo consulting company?

Old 10-23-2018, 07:01 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
It's a shame these outfits didn't consult you in advance. It seems they've made a series of terrible mistakes and you might have saved them untold headaches vis a vis staffing problems. Maybe you should start a HQ relo consulting company?
Considering all RJ ever posts about is having sex, looking for women to have sex with, and physical attributes of women he desires to have sex with.....that would be one helluva pitch proposal for his relo consulting gig!!

Old 10-23-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
In the 1990s lots of companies, not just the big name ones you mention, moved to the Dallas exurbs, for a couple of reasons:

1) They wanted to build a show-offy "Campus Style" headquarters, and they could have that for far less than their near-to-the-city HQ was costing them;

2) The executives wanted to be close to their gated communities wtih high performing schools.

Believe me, neither the concerns of their young urban childfree professionals, nor their hourly workers, were involved in the making of these decisions.

Do keep in mind as well that the vast majority of people working in these companies are not (and certainly weren't in the time frame under consideration) unattached carefree barhound early-20s; most of them range from mid 20 to mid 50s and have children and want to have a house near good public schools.

Why would a bunch of executives in their late 50s care about whether a 23 year old finds it hard to chase tail near his office?
Point 1 you make is probably the biggest reason. That's justifiable. The rest of it, while probably an accurate summary of the viewpoint, reflects a flaw in the criteria for selecting a location. I can see how they made the decisions they made.

I would think that older executives would realize that younger workers do a lot of the important grunt work for any company. If the company is located in a place inconvenient for the grunt workers who are often single and childless, who is going to do this necessary work? The percentage of the population that is single is growing. While at any given time a person is more likely to be in some sort of relationship than unattached, relationships that aren't marriages are less stable than marriages, and a marriage is no guarantee of stability. These singles who are in transient relationships will find themselves unattached at some time over an extended period of time and might want to have the conveniences of single, unattached life near where they work.

Chasing tail, as you call it, near one's office is good. I have worked in office buildings with multiple companies in the building and spent time in common areas of these buildings doing approaches and finding dates. I actually have preferred to do non-bar approaching over bar approaching.

You also mention high performing schools. The Park Cities have high performing schools. Preston Hollow is a nice area, but there's a lot of use of private schools there. And also while executives might have children, if these executives looked at demographic research, the majority of households now (and it's a significant majority) are households that do not have children under 18 living in them.

Quote:
I laughed at this. It's a good use of sarcasm. I don't think they've made terrible mistakes. I would be interesting in seeing if statistics exist about job tenures at companies like AT&T and Southwest Airlines, who have in town HQs vs. Frito Lay and Dr. Pepper Snapple differ among single people ages 21-35. I doubt that one could find statistics, but I would think that there's a more compelling reason for a single person to have a longer tenure at a company with a central city office than one with a suburban campus. Longer tenures for employees benefit organizations.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Dealing with the social scene in Dallas, which features pretentiousness, can be emotionally draining. You have a legitimate point.
Wish I could rep this.

Quote:

Simple...a lot of the "young talent" they're trying to recruit isn't actually American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas