Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 03:55 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Texas is red/ purple, and some parts are very red, but there are also some very blue spots.
https://www.politico.com/2016-electi...esident/texas/

There is more blue in Texas than I would like to see. El Paso and the areas near the Mexican border are blue.

Donald Trump only got 27% of the vote in Travis County, which is Austin area. He also didn't do well in Williamson and Hays counties, which are the Austin suburbs, but got the majority there.

Trump did better in Bexar and Harris Counties (San Antonio and Houston) than he did in Dallas County. I think that's really a function of the land mass of the counties. Bexar and Harris cover more suburban areas than Dallas.

Dallas County is quite blue. Dallas County is more blue (Clinton 61-35) than Collin County is red (Trump 56-39). Tarrant County isn't tremendously red at this point (Trump 52-43, which was the exact total for the entire state).

The most populated areas where Trump did quite well in Texas were the counties comprising Amarillo, Lubbock, Midland-Odessa, and Abilene. Lubbock and Midland-Odessa are around 250,000 in population, making them smaller than Plano. Amarillo is about 200,000 and Abilene is 120,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 06:40 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
If someone's vote for a candidate comes down to being annoyed over a text message, they aren't intelligent or mature enough to vote properly anyway.
I don't think they switched their vote to Cruz.

But I get being annoyed at the invasiveness of the texts. I despise any unsolicited contact people do to get something from you.. Not enough to affect my vote, but I really hate it.

And you people are aware that not everyone has a text plan that is free, right?

Two of my friends (elderly, fixed income) were having to pay 10 cents every time a text came in. That should not be allowed.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
If we all refused to vote for politicians who refused to leave us alone, no one would ever have anyone to vote for. Vote for whomever you'd please for whatever issues-based reason you choose. Heck, if you think a politician is a sleezeball for taking low blows at the competition, fine. That's an assessment of character. But being annoyed that a politician is trying to get your attention to vote? That's an absurd reason to change your vote or to be moved from neutral to voting the competition. For better or worse, our society has deemed that there are very few spheres left where marketing (politics and for private enterprise) is completely off limits so it's unreasonable to expect to be left alone during a consequential election.
There is passive in your faceness and invasive active in your faceness.

And when you don't even consider you may be disruptive and costing your "audience" money, that is immature and inappropriate.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
If anyone saw the story on the news about the Beto & Allred signs burned in peoples' front yards, that was in my neighborhood.

Of course the neighbors are pissed. And shocked. One was extremely upset because the sign owner's children were home at the time (because where else would they be in the middle of the night).

Burning election signs? Really? Is that where we are as a nation?

Old 10-24-2018, 07:18 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If anyone saw the story on the news about the Beto & Allred signs burned in peoples' front yards, that was in my neighborhood.

Of course the neighbors are pissed. And shocked. One was extremely upset because the sign owner's children were home at the time (because where else would they be in the middle of the night).

Burning election signs? Really? Is that where we are as a nation?
Eh, burning election signs is pretty mild compared to alot of the crazy stuff that has happened in the past before.

Of course I think it's unacceptable and if caught whoever is doing that should be punished, but it isn't a sign of the end times.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I hope you’re wrong, but I agree with you. Beto is too far left.

However, I was pleasantly surprised last Friday when Beto signs popped up everywhere in our neighborhood. There were a couple of Cruz signs, and suddenly 90% Beto!
Beto is too far left. Cruz is very punchable, I find him annoying and disagree with a decent amount of his politics, but Beto is only slightly more likeable, comes off as a phoney Kennedy-lite to me, and I disagree with even more of his politics.

I've never punched a straight ticket either way in any election, and have no issue voting libertarian if I hate both candidates enough, or Democrat even if the candidate is strong on the democratic positions I like, but moderate on the ones I'm not a fan of, but I'll probably vote for Cruz this year unfortunately for the 2nd time. (the 1st being when I voted for him in the primary in a desperate attempt to stop the Trump train, even though I preferred Rubio lol)

Old 10-24-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
https://www.politico.com/2016-electi...esident/texas/

There is more blue in Texas than I would like to see. El Paso and the areas near the Mexican border are blue.

Donald Trump only got 27% of the vote in Travis County, which is Austin area. He also didn't do well in Williamson and Hays counties, which are the Austin suburbs, but got the majority there.

Trump did better in Bexar and Harris Counties (San Antonio and Houston) than he did in Dallas County. I think that's really a function of the land mass of the counties. Bexar and Harris cover more suburban areas than Dallas.

Dallas County is quite blue. Dallas County is more blue (Clinton 61-35) than Collin County is red (Trump 56-39). Tarrant County isn't tremendously red at this point (Trump 52-43, which was the exact total for the entire state).

The most populated areas where Trump did quite well in Texas were the counties comprising Amarillo, Lubbock, Midland-Odessa, and Abilene. Lubbock and Midland-Odessa are around 250,000 in population, making them smaller than Plano. Amarillo is about 200,000 and Abilene is 120,000.
I think Tarrant County is a good weather vane for state politics in general. How is Beto polling there?

I was out in Stephenville yesterday and once you clear Tarrent County It's mostly Cruz signs, and I think Cruz supporters are less likely to post signs in general so his support is probably even stronger than it looks out there.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:38 AM

533 posts, read 642,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
my personal opinion, the Democrats really blew it. The republicans had gone mad and jumped into bed with Trump and his alt right movement. This was the golden opportunity for the Democrats to run candidates that were moderate/center, which would have presented a nice contrast to Trump. With all the wack jobs running around on the right, it would have been easy pickings for the Democrats to scoop up all the Independents/republicans who are turned off by Trump and his antics.

Instead, all I've seen is the Democrats move even further to the left and now what should have been an easy win will now probably be far more of a contest. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the Republicans losing that badly. Take Beto for example. He wants to bring in a state tax! complete non starter in Texas. I don't care how much money he's raised, or how much marketing/advertising he has. He will lose. and lose to a guy like Cruz who is heavily disliked by his own party members.

The Democrats really need to go back to the Bill Clinton playbook. He was a moderate and was able to win thanks to that. But I guess we will see in a few days if I was right or wrong.

Very true. Left should not be moving further to the left but move closer to the center - especially on immigration. Although healthcare is the most important issue for the ballot (and personally to me), immigration is the most visible one.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:17 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Eh, burning election signs is pretty mild compared to alot of the crazy stuff that has happened in the past before.

Of course I think it's unacceptable and if caught whoever is doing that should be punished, but it isn't a sign of the end times.
I think it's a sign that people are taking this stuff way too seriously...and personally.

There's a guy at my office who's still mildly irritated with me when I voiced an opinion...not even a strong one...against Brett Kavanaugh. Someone asked me what I thought and I was dumb enough to answer with "I'm not crazy about him, but if he doesn't get it Trump will pick another just like him."

It really is that easy.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
Very true. Left should not be moving further to the left but move closer to the center - especially on immigration. Although healthcare is the most important issue for the ballot (and personally to me), immigration is the most visible one.
Can we please have someone who isn't either yelling to build a wall, or just accept everyone?

Crazy ideas, but the way I see it:

1) Knowing who crosses our border is important for our national security

2) Deporting everyone who is already here isn't pragmatic

3) Most illegal immigrants are decent humans who couldn't get through the system, so they went around it.

(Case in point, I know a family of Millionaires who spent tens of thousands of dollars for their 30 year old son's immigration lawyers, thats nuts)

4) We can't just take everyone unless we are willing to cut down on the security nets we have in place, as these are generally poor people who would, if allowed access, qualify for many "Social benefits" we simply can't overwhelm the system.

5) Immigrants are critical to a lot of industries.

6) There are some very bad dudes (to quote the Donald) hiding among our illegal immigrants that's just a fact. Isn't that all the more reason to want to know who is here?

I don't have exact policies hammered out, but it doesn't seem that hard to make being a guest worker easier, while making illegal crossings difficult. Limit the benifits of those who come here to work, perhaps separate it from the path to citizenship? Yeah, I know we already have green cards, and that system sucks and is used and abused by tech companies like crazy.

Use the carrot and the stick.

Basically you just want to make it easier for people who just want to work to come though the legal system than it is for them to come illegally. Make it worth while for the folks who are already here to become documented.

Am I nuts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas