Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 04:31 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
The best social options for the OP's daughter would be in the urban core of Dallas. Shouldn't the OP want her daughter in the best possible situation to succeed socially and professionally? Perhaps the daughter has another option on the table in other city where there's a company that is in the same class as Toyota and is located in a part of that city that's more vibrant than North Plano.
There is not a company in the same class as Toyota near downtown Dallas. Period. Her daughter landed a fantastic job, especially for a new grad. I'm sure she can find a good social life in Plano or Addison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 05:30 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
There is not a company in the same class as Toyota near downtown Dallas. Period. Her daughter landed a fantastic job, especially for a new grad. I'm sure she can find a good social life in Plano or Addison.
Why would you not consider AT&T and Southwest Airlines in the same class as Toyota? AT&T is in Downtown, Southwest's Love Field HQ is close to central city neighborhoods.

Also, it is entirely possible that the daughter has options on the table in other cities with jobs in the same class as Toyota. It's October, and the daughter doesn't likely graduate until next May.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:25 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Maybe she graduates in December? Lots of people do that. Or she just graduated in August.

Those two are in totally different industries. We have no idea what job the daughter will be doing. If it’s something that’s specific to the auto industry, then there is no equivalent.

Southwest is a great company to work for, but it’s not one of the world’s largest companies like Toyota.u

Old 10-24-2018, 09:31 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom200 View Post
My daughter is moving to Plano near Toyota headquarter for work after she graduates early next year. She likes to find a place where it is not too far from work (15 minutes commute without traffic) and have nice shops and restaurants close by. It would be idea if the place is 20 or 25 away from Downtown Dallas where she can visits during weekends.
We are not familiar with Dallas so any suggestion would be appreciated.
I would look at Addison. Plano is an older demographic, even in the more "Young professional" type areas. Addison is also a closer uber ride away from stuff in the Core. Plano gets expensive quickly.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:34 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
AT&T is pretty up there. Also, it's the real AT&T HQ, not their north american HQ as is the case with Toyota.

Anyway, regardless, I think Addison is the best option, Plano is fine if you are closer to 30, but I wouldn't want to live there right out of college, it's just too far from the 20 something action.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:16 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
I think the daughter is a grown woman who needs to figure this out. Part of growing up is figuring things out for yourself instead of relying on your parents. If she wants advice here let her create a profile and post.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:12 AM

194 posts, read 306,176 times
My daughter recently moved from apartments at Ohio and Rasor, sorry, I can't remember the name of the complex. She moved in after graduation: it was the least expensive complex she could find in the area. Rent did go up quite a bit in the several years she lived there, and I'm sure will continue doing so. But she never had any issues. It's "gated," but often the gates were left open, so not quite as simple as all that. It was pretty diverse, with a good number of kids, but absolutely served her purposes.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:29 AM

786 posts, read 1,223,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom200 View Post
My daughter is moving to Plano near Toyota headquarter for work after she graduates early next year. She likes to find a place where it is not too far from work (15 minutes commute without traffic) and have nice shops and restaurants close by. It would be idea if the place is 20 or 25 away from Downtown Dallas where she can visits during weekends.
We are not familiar with Dallas so any suggestion would be appreciated.
One of my good friends work at Toyota. I've met several younger folks on their team who were hired in Finance after finishing their MBAs. They are in their 20s, and most actually live in Legacy area (NW Plano). A couple bought townhomes in the "Canals at Grand Park" neighborhood in Frisco. The Frisco area North of Toyota has many new apartments going up.

The nice thing is Toyota has so many people here that your daughter will easily meet and make a ton of friends at her office, and some of those people will inevitably be living in the area near the office.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:12 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I think the daughter is a grown woman who needs to figure this out. Part of growing up is figuring things out for yourself instead of relying on your parents. If she wants advice here let her create a profile and post.
Probably the best sentiment. When I was finishing college, I was in charge of conducting my apartment searches. I'm not sure if OP's daughter has experience making an apartment selection prior to now. I did apartment selections during my undergrad years. If someone attends and graduates from college, they should have the experience of at least one apartment selection under the belt.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:28 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL60 View Post
You need to stop trying to give advice on this thread. Obviously you haven’t stepped out of your Dallas bubble in a long time, you’re ideas about the Legacy Corridor are about 10 years late. That area has become the hotspot for recent grads. Everything a 20 yr old needs is in that area , and it is making the Dallas nightlife obsolete as more people realize they can get the same fun lifestyle without the crime & hassle of Dallas.
Hardly anyone would consider Legacy as a bigger and more fun hotspot for young grads than central Dallas. So Legacy is making Deep Ellum, Uptown, Oak Lawn, Downtown, Lower Greenville, Cedars, etc etc obsolete? Lol! You either rarely step foot in Dallas or are just trying to pimp up your real estate in Collin County, like all of the other Frisco/Plano apologists on this forum. Young single grads only move to Plano because they *have* to, not because they *want* to. The only ones I can see desiring to live there are those that plan on marrying young and having kids by 30. Legacy is a great starting point for those people looking to transition to the Plano/Frisco subdivision lifestyle they so desperately crave. But for those that want more out of life? Forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas