Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:32 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,198,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenmills View Post
WOW shocked by all of the messages.

...To those who asked, we live in Colleyville....
So you moved to a strip-mall exurb that was cow pastures 20 years ago, and you're surprised that there is a lack of the old-style city center charm found in parts of the country that were settled cities 300 or 400 years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 09:11 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,072,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenmills View Post
What are your favorite places to go and soak up something uniquely Texas?
Fort Worth................

Old 11-13-2018, 05:47 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,072,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm a native Texan and I don't do any of that stuff. No hats, no boots, no Texas flags in the house, no giant metal five-point stars anywhere, no rustic décor involving rusty barbed wire and/or distressed wood, etc. None of that. I don't brag about being from Texas; it's not like I had any say in the matter.

Dallas has a tendency to disregard and/or tear down its own history. You can't disagree with me there.
1) My comment wasn't about you, surprisingly; I did not say everyone did, so a handful of people posting to say they don't "any of that" doesn't matter. You can love your home without decking the halls.

2) I would say Dallas has a tendency to disregard of tear down its local history, but I disagree that Dallas does that with the state history, which is the topic at hand.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:13 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,392,347 times
It's all about your priorities. In my budget, I wanted to buy a brand new house in a great school district which I could not have done in New Jersey. As for being happy, yes I would have been happier there but it would be very selfish of me to stay there and disregard my kids future and our family needs. Now that I'm in Texas, I am discovering new things everyday. Only thing I missed so far is the fall season in NJ but that is not on top on my priority list.

My family is much happier here and my kid will be in one of the best school systems in the US which makes me an accomplished husband and a father. Overall, this is a great region to raise a family for many reasons. That alone is an achievement for me. Plus, I'm allot more focused here because I'm away from NY where I would end up every weekend with my friends to hang out. I knew way too many people there growing up which were nothing but a distraction from achieving my fitness goals etc. In the time I have been here so far, I have been hitting the gym everyday and lost 15 lbs and gained muscle.

It's about your vision and how you perceive things that are thrown at you in life. Not a single day goes by that I don't focus on all the positive these 5 months gave me rather than to sit there and reminisce my time spent in NJ growing up.

All those reasons now make me a happier person living here and there is allot more to follow.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:31 AM

213 posts, read 181,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
It's all about your priorities. In my budget, I wanted to buy a brand new house in a great school district which I could not have done in New Jersey. As for being happy, yes I would have been happier there but it would be very selfish of me to stay there and disregard my kids future and our family needs. Now that I'm in Texas, I am discovering new things everyday. Only thing I missed so far is the fall season in NJ but that is not on top on my priority list.

My family is much happier here and my kid will be in one of the best school systems in the US which makes me an accomplished husband and a father. Overall, this is a great region to raise a family for many reasons. That alone is an achievement for me. Plus, I'm allot more focused here because I'm away from NY where I would end up every weekend with my friends to hang out. I knew way too many people there growing up which were nothing but a distraction from achieving my fitness goals etc. In the time I have been here so far, I have been hitting the gym everyday and lost 15 lbs and gained muscle.

It's about your vision and how you perceive things that are thrown at you in life. Not a single day goes by that I don't focus on all the positive these 5 months gave me rather than to sit there and reminisce my time spent in NJ growing up.

All those reasons now make me a happier person living here and there is allot more to follow.
That's a wonderful post! Shows great attitude, which colors how you live your life.

We're about to move our family of 5 from my home country to DFW, and I'll have to work very hard to have that exact attitude towards adjusting to our new life over there. Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-14-2018, 07:05 AM

3 posts, read 2,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post

Overall, this is a great region to raise a family for many reasons. That alone is an achievement for me. Plus, I'm allot more focused here...
Exactly!

Thanks for your uplifting post

Old 11-14-2018, 07:05 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,130,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
1) My comment wasn't about you, surprisingly; I did not say everyone did, so a handful of people posting to say they don't "any of that" doesn't matter. You can love your home without decking the halls.

2) I would say Dallas has a tendency to disregard of tear down its local history, but I disagree that Dallas does that with the state history, which is the topic at hand.
I know it wasn't specifically directed at me, but I weighed in as a native Texan who seems to buck your stereotypes.

Texas state history doesn't have a whole heck of a lot to do with Dallas specifically, unless you're studying A.) the Kennedy assassination or B.) the history of BIDNESS (making a backwater "artist colony" on the banks of a non-navigable river into the city that it is today). Would you agree that not much of statewide or nationwide importance happens here on a regular basis? When's the last time the network evening news opened its broadcast in Dallas? (In terms of the relative lack of natural disasters, I'm grateful.)

Old 11-14-2018, 10:21 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,100,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Dallas has a tendency to disregard and/or tear down its own history. You can't disagree with me there.
Yes, but I don't find Dallas particularly unique in this regard. I did a tour of Boston recently and was amazed at how much was torn down and replaced from the 18th century. The funniest was when the tour guide said "now replaced by that Bank of America building." Much of colonial Philly was replaced in the 19th and early 20th centuries as well. Dallas came on the scene a lot later, so much of the 19th century/early 20th century history of Dallas was replaced in the same way that the 18th century was in Boston and Philly. A lot of it has to do with economic pressure and constant push for technological change, particularly in the U.S.

Dallas could do a lot better at building cultural amenities that celebrates its history. It would be nice to have a history of music museum in Deep Ellum, especially blues. The city should try to connect Old City Park better with the DT section of the Farmers Market.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:27 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,226,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Yes, but I don't find Dallas particularly unique in this regard. I did a tour of Boston recently and was amazed at how much was torn down and replaced from the 18th century. The funniest was when the tour guide said "now replaced by that Bank of America building." Much of colonial Philly was replaced in the 19th and early 20th centuries as well. Dallas came on the scene a lot later, so much of the 19th century/early 20th century history of Dallas was replaced in the same way that the 18th century was in Boston and Philly. A lot of it has to do with economic pressure and constant push for technological change, particularly in the U.S.

Dallas could do a lot better at building cultural amenities that celebrates its history. It would be nice to have a history of music museum in Deep Ellum, especially blues. The city should try to connect Old City Park better with the DT section of the Farmers Market.
What Dallas is unique (along with Houston) in is how much stuff they tore down for parking lots. In Boston you will see plenty of neighborhoods where they tore down a colonial home and built Gilded Age buildings. In Dallas they might clear 4 blocks and build one skyscraper on one of them and leave the rest as parking.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:16 PM

19,545 posts, read 17,806,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
What Dallas is unique (along with Houston) in is how much stuff they tore down for parking lots. In Boston you will see plenty of neighborhoods where they tore down a colonial home and built Gilded Age buildings. In Dallas they might clear 4 blocks and build one skyscraper on one of them and leave the rest as parking.
Can you name one specific Dallas skyscraper built with 4 blocks cleared to make it happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas