Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 12:59 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Beardown91737...

You are the only person I've heard complain about too many trees other than when it's time to rake up leaves.
Was going to say the same. Usually we hear the opposite complaints on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 02:48 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
"This reminds me of the misplacement of the Dallas Cowboys in the NFC East. I think that it has done too much to legitimize Dallas' status as a city, compared to traditional cities in the Northeast, and smaller versions like Pittsburgh or Cincinnati."

I may be wrong but I think the Cowboys' original placement in the NFC East had more to do with a lack of geographical options at the time. That they haven't switched places with the newer Carolina Panthers is likely due to the intense traditional rivalries with Philly, Washington and the Giants. The Cowboys are the team those towns "love to hate".

Old 11-24-2018, 05:01 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Default Newbies, do you like it here?

Guess I am in the same boat as several posters here. I have been trying to convince myself I like it here but 3 years in, I’m not feeling it. Maybe it’s the endless suburban sprawl, the lack of green space, and, if you din’t Love Tex mex or barbecue, other than Asian cuisine you are pretty much out of luck. I’m from the east coast so culturally it’s been a big change. We’ve made some superficial friendships but have not really clicked with anyone, despite volunteering, attending church and venturing out to several cultural events. Folks ARE superficially friendly but, we have found it very challenging to establish true friendships. I too miss old city architecture, rolling hills and green for miles. Thought I would get used to the change but I sense a move in the next couple of years. I dream of REAL crab cakes. And, as hard as I try to ignore the politics here, it sometimes feels like everyone around me embraces tradtional conservative values. Not judging but, it’s not my thing. What do I like? The mild winters, low cost of living, low crime, new infrastructure, and a decent live music scene. Those things I will miss.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:19 AM

6 posts, read 6,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenmills View Post
there's a million chain restaurants and no food with uniqueness or culture behind it
Something unique to eat other than smoked meat and mexican?
Ok now that's weird. I don't particularly love it a lot here but I always thought there are plenty of options when it comes to food in DFW. We have so many mom-and-pop and hole-on-the-wall restaurants for Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Indian, Japanese, Mediterranean ...
[Arg just realize from my list you can tell where I'm from lol]

Old 11-28-2018, 11:26 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Guess I am in the same boat as several posters here. I have been trying to convince myself I like it here but 3 years in, I’m not feeling it. Maybe it’s the endless suburban sprawl, the lack of green space, and, if you din’t Love Tex mex or barbecue, other than Asian cuisine you are pretty much out of luck. I’m from the east coast so culturally it’s been a big change. We’ve made some superficial friendships but have not really clicked with anyone, despite volunteering, attending church and venturing out to several cultural events. Folks ARE superficially friendly but, we have found it very challenging to establish true friendships. I too miss old city architecture, rolling hills and green for miles. Thought I would get used to the change but I sense a move in the next couple of years. I dream of REAL crab cakes. And, as hard as I try to ignore the politics here, it sometimes feels like everyone around me embraces tradtional conservative values. Not judging but, it’s not my thing. What do I like? The mild winters, low cost of living, low crime, new infrastructure, and a decent live music scene. Those things I will miss.
Seems like you need a 2 week vacation up in the northeast. You'll be fine once you get that outta your system. I'm from NJ myself and that always fixes it for me. Never lose focus on the real reason why you moved here to begin with.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:47 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Seems like you need a 2 week vacation up in the northeast. You'll be fine once you get that outta your system. I'm from NJ myself and that always fixes it for me. Never lose focus on the real reason why you moved here to begin with.
I hear you. Heading to the Hill Country next week for some Texas roots music and change of scenery so, hoping that helps. With 2 years until retirement I intend to make Texas work. After that I’m off to Portugal with occasional visits back east to remember why I left.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:59 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I hear you. Heading to the Hill Country next week for some Texas roots music and change of scenery so, hoping that helps. With 2 years until retirement I intend to make Texas work. After that I’m off to Portugal with occasional visits back east to remember why I left.
One of my dad's best friends retired to Porto. It's astoundingly pretty. Nothing works right - 2 psi water when it works, power failures every few days, travel is a pain, driving in an adventure to say the least but it is gorgeous.

I'm thinking South Tyrol or close myself. We love to ski.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:07 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nthoangga View Post
Ok now that's weird. I don't particularly love it a lot here but I always thought there are plenty of options when it comes to food in DFW. We have so many mom-and-pop and hole-on-the-wall restaurants for Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Indian, Japanese, Mediterranean ...
[Arg just realize from my list you can tell where I'm from lol]
Ive also seen some good non-Mexican Latin American restaurants and heard that there is, relative to most places, a diverse African food scene.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:19 PM

692 posts, read 854,908 times
Most of my family's from the Chesapeake. I miss me some real crab cakes.... but there's not enough money in the world to make me move back to PG County, not even if I got to renovate the old family place.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:03 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
For being a non-seaside metro not named Chicago, I personally think DFW's food scene is excellent. A lot of diversity and lots of great, non chain options. I of course say this living in the M Streets and working downtown. So I generally spend most of my time in DFW in about a 4-5 mile radius of downtown Dallas. IOW my perspective may be very different than living in some of the surrounding cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas