Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2019, 09:21 PM

5 posts, read 10,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTxUSA View Post
Any advice on how to say no to schools your child was accepted to when you have a younger child that’s going to apply in the next 1-2 years?
I've heard emailing the school's admissions director directly and letting them know as soon as you know your decision is the best way. Then they can move on to other people if they need to. I've heard some schools ask where you're going, they like to keep track or see if there is a reason you chose one school over their school but that's up to you if you want to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 11:17 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonHollowDad View Post
Just wanted to bring this year’s private school admissions conversation back to the forefront now that spring break is over. We are on multiple wait lists for lower school admission (not preK or K). Once everyone sends in acceptances / denials of their offers by the end of this week I am hoping for a little movement next week (fingers crossed).

I’ve often wondered if the schools start calling waitlist families this week if they get any denials in from accepted families during the spring break week or early this week. Or do they wait until the period to respond to an acceptance is completely over before they start offering waitlisted kids, assuming they have any available spots. I would guess the schools may have some sort of informal agreement to wait until a certain day or time before they start calling waitlisters.

I have also heard one particular school sometimes (not routinely) leaves spots empty ..... they may say they have 30 spots but they only offer 26 kids .... and/or they offer an appropriate number to potentially fill the 30 spots (maybe 32-36) but they do not even use the waitlist if they get some declines from accepted student/families, even if that means they end up with 28 instead of 30. I guess they hope to fill the empty spot(s) with higher caliber candidates the following year.
These schools do not have a wait list rank ordered from 1-100. They won’t admit anyone from the wait list until they have a full accounting of who has accepted an offer for admission and who has declined it. As for leaving spots empty? Seems extremely unlikely to me but I don’t know one way or another.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:24 AM

446 posts, read 1,005,303 times
Last year the wait lists starting moving about a week after Spring Break.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:14 AM

7 posts, read 18,278 times
Any moving in St. Marks waiting pool?

Old 03-22-2019, 06:37 AM

554 posts, read 683,181 times
Today is the day contracts are due at most schools - sending out good vibes to those waitlisted and hoping for good news!!

Old 03-22-2019, 08:04 AM

39 posts, read 112,441 times
Best of luck to everyone still waiting for their first choice. Hope you all come off the wait-list.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:03 AM

7 posts, read 18,278 times
When does the school call people out of waiting lists? Today or next week? Can you please share experience?

Old 03-22-2019, 07:25 PM

21 posts, read 28,909 times
We were called yesterday (Thursday) and offered a spot off a waitlist. We were surprised, we thought the schools wouldn’t start using the waitlists until Monday.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:28 PM

25 posts, read 63,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonHollowDad View Post
We were called yesterday (Thursday) and offered a spot off a waitlist. We were surprised, we thought the schools wouldn’t start using the waitlists until Monday.
Congratulations on your little one’s admittance into (which school if you don’t mind sharing?)

Old 03-23-2019, 07:03 AM

4 posts, read 10,360 times
Any one heard of movement at Parish or Hockaday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas