Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:35 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palciparum View Post
How many spots are there for 5th grade at Hockaday and Greenhill school and how many applicants?

Don't both school list number of spots on their website? No clue on the acceptance rate at that age level. I know it gets incredibly competitive at high school but not sure about middle school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 10:03 AM

96 posts, read 150,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Don't both school list number of spots on their website? No clue on the acceptance rate at that age level. I know it gets incredibly competitive at high school but not sure about middle school.
Greenhill has around 15 spots for 5th
Hock around 20-25 I believe

Old 02-13-2019, 10:16 AM

43 posts, read 103,107 times
Quote:
Meaning will do well in terms of speaking to the adults doing the interview, plays well with other kids, well spoken for their ages. My oldest daughter is quite shy and was to a debilitating degree when she was very young (around ages 2-4). There was no way any sort of interview/process that involved talking to new adults or interacting with kids she didn't know well would have worked for her at those ages. Most kids will grow out of anxieties like that (or they will with involved and well off parents who can afford to work on the issue), but schools would prefer to fill their seats with kids who are ready to thrive rather than those who still need work in that department.
Thanks for the reply

Old 02-13-2019, 10:17 AM

43 posts, read 103,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1977 View Post
Greenhill has around 15 spots for 5th
Hock around 20-25 I believe

Thanks

How does one find out number of applicants?

Old 02-13-2019, 07:57 PM

39 posts, read 112,445 times
I think the schools are the only ones that know that. I do wonder if the overall acceptance rate is 20% for a school, how does that rate vary across different entry points. For example, for Greenhill with a hypothetical 25% acceptance rate, is the rate for entry years (Pre-K and K) closer to 30%. And does Hockaday's acceptance rate of 17% overall imply an acceptance rate of 25% for Pre-K (entry year). Would love to know the answer.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:58 PM

27 posts, read 87,139 times
Quote:
I would be willing to bet it's more competitive than that. At the elite school where my wife works, their applications are up across the board. Most applications they've ever received for 5th grade, for example. I don't know how many spaces there are at SMS, but I personally know 3 people applying to 1st grade who are legacies, whose kids go to the right feeder schools, did well on tests, well adjusted socially, etc etc, and I am just one person with one social circle.
Well, gosh! I believe they are taking 32. I’m just a regular teacher blessed with a beautifully bright young man; woefully, UNconnected! Obviously, I hope they saw what I see in my sweet boy, but know we’ll be okay if he’s not chosen this go around!

Old 02-14-2019, 06:43 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringzs View Post
I think the schools are the only ones that know that. I do wonder if the overall acceptance rate is 20% for a school, how does that rate vary across different entry points. For example, for Greenhill with a hypothetical 25% acceptance rate, is the rate for entry years (Pre-K and K) closer to 30%. And does Hockaday's acceptance rate of 17% overall imply an acceptance rate of 25% for Pre-K (entry year). Would love to know the answer.
Based on the numbers we DO know, it seems, for instance, the GH pre-k acceptance rate is 20%...so I wonder if the posted acceptance rates are only for the big expansion years where we know the numbers.

I don't think we can extrapolate out...and a few % points in either direction (15 vs 17% at Hockaday) isn't gonna make much difference in one's chances.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:44 AM

446 posts, read 1,005,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringzs View Post
Admissions directors will tell you there's not a meaningful difference between the acceptance rates by grade. They get significantly more applications for big entry years (5th & 9th, for example) but there are more spots to fill...

Old 02-14-2019, 02:35 PM

554 posts, read 683,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
Admissions directors will tell you there's not a meaningful difference between the acceptance rates by grade. They get significantly more applications for big entry years (5th & 9th, for example) but there are more spots to fill...
That may be true, but when there are 8 people applying for one 2nd grade slot or 5 people applying for zero 3rd grade slots, the 20% acceptance rate is deceptive at best.

On a side note, I have no idea what they do in cases where there is no attrition in a grade. Do they tell people ahead of time? Our re-enrollment contracts were due this week, so theoretically, they wouldn't even know if slots were available in non-expansion years until less than a month before decisions are mailed. I wonder whether they tell applicants for those grades that have zero available slots before the March deadline. Perhaps not, since anything can happen, but it seems cruel to have people holding out hope for a slot that doesn't exist...

Old 02-14-2019, 02:47 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
That may be true, but when there are 8 people applying for one 2nd grade slot or 5 people applying for zero 3rd grade slots, the 20% acceptance rate is deceptive at best.

On a side note, I have no idea what they do in cases where there is no attrition in a grade. Do they tell people ahead of time? Our re-enrollment contracts were due this week, so theoretically, they wouldn't even know if slots were available in non-expansion years until less than a month before decisions are mailed. I wonder whether they tell applicants for those grades that have zero available slots before the March deadline. Perhaps not, since anything can happen, but it seems cruel to have people holding out hope for a slot that doesn't exist...
It's also germane to point out that all of these schools are pretty great about gently/kindly limiting their respective applicant pools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas