Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 07:37 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,159,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Great time to get in early? That ship has sailed. 30 minutes? commute times are only getting worse. You are far from even Plano and Richardson job hubs, your location eliminates Dallas and Irving job access unless you want to spend hours on the roads. You can’t send kids to private schools or local universities.

It’s a nice town but really limits your options for almost everything and once homes start aging, buyers would see these issues more clearly.
Exactly. I lived in Prosper from 1989-2003. My mom and stepdad left as soon as I graduated because development was slowly moving north and they had just retired. When my stepdad did work, he commuted to downtown and it took him over an hour even back then using DNT (granted it ended in Plano). A handful of master planned communities started popping up in the early 2000s (Gentle Creek) and they knew the Prosper they loved wouldn't be around much longer. I went to UTD but even that was too much of a commute 15 years ago so I ended up living in Richardson while I went to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 08:09 AM

779 posts, read 1,210,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Prosper is great, got allot of potential. School district received top marks in the most recent grades from the TEA. Easy access right up DNT and 380. 30 minutes from DFW. Great community with tons of professionals. Up and coming next to Frisco. Major developments in process. Great time to get in early....
Yes, it's a great time to get in "early" and enjoy sitting in constant traffic as they build out their infrastructure. Anyone who lives there and has to actually venture out of Prosper on a semi-regular basis must have the patience of Job.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:02 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,394,194 times
If traffic is the issue then traffic is in all directions during rush hours. A person has to evaluate if sitting 5-10 minutes more worthwhile compared to living in a densely populated congested hell hole of a city near downtown Dallas with overpriced housing that is 30 years old. You cannot live in Texas and complain about distance or live in NY complain about traffic.

Last edited by Capitalprophets; 11-30-2018 at 10:12 AM..

Old 11-30-2018, 10:29 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,204,994 times
Well, I don't really think my neighborhood in central Dallas is a "densely populated congested hell hole" although I would agree the houses are overpriced. And 30 years old isn't even close, try 80 years.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:37 AM

122 posts, read 162,272 times
Quote:
If traffic is the issue then traffic is in all directions during rush hours. A person has to evaluate if sitting 5-10 minutes more worthwhile compared to living in a densely populated congested hell hole of a city near downtown Dallas with overpriced housing that is 30 years old. You cannot live in Texas and complain about distance or live in NY complain about traffic.
Yes traffic is in all directions, that's why many of us choose to live closer to work rather than in BFE.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:59 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,101,333 times
Quote:
Someone from Frisco calling the area in and around Downtown Dallas a congested hell hole is absolutely rich. Unlike Frisco, central Dallas offers several alternatives to driving. Even when you drive in Dallas, you have far more non-toll road, non-highway options than you do in Frisco.

Overpriced housing that's 30 years old? People are willing to live in older properties in Dallas because of location and access to cultural amenities. And unlike most Frisco neighborhoods, Dallas neighborhoods actually have mature trees and greenery.

I'm sorry but Frisco is the worst of the worst -- not an ounce of character or soul, traffic clogged TOLL ROADS (aka paying to sit in traffic), no walkability, barren landscape, and on and on. That whole area north of 635 along DNT just flat out sucks.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:55 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,094,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Someone from Frisco calling the area in and around Downtown Dallas a congested hell hole is absolutely rich. Unlike Frisco, central Dallas offers several alternatives to driving. Even when you drive in Dallas, you have far more non-toll road, non-highway options than you do in Frisco.

Overpriced housing that's 30 years old? People are willing to live in older properties in Dallas because of location and access to cultural amenities. And unlike most Frisco neighborhoods, Dallas neighborhoods actually have mature trees and greenery.

I'm sorry but Frisco is the worst of the worst -- not an ounce of character or soul, traffic clogged TOLL ROADS (aka paying to sit in traffic), no walkability, barren landscape, and on and on. That whole area north of 635 along DNT just flat out sucks.
I assume the poster was talking about Plano. 30 years isn’t really the timeframe that would be relevant to Dallas or HP/UP properties. Even most of Richardson will be older than that.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:35 PM

377 posts, read 378,152 times
Prosper's slogan is "small town, big heart" LOL

It's nothing like that now of course. The high school is way overcrowded and the school district boundaries are so crazy that they are building a new high school in McKinney south of 380 yet it's still going to be in the Prosper ISD. Ridiculous.

The most ridiculous thing about Prosper is the train situation. 2-3 days a week between 8-8:30 AM, Fishtrap road and Prosper Trail (the 2nd and 3rd busiest roads in Prosper after Preston road) completely shut down because BNSF decides to stop their train on the middle of the train tracks and unload whatever the hell they are unloading. That means rush hour before-school traffic comes to a dead standstill.

This wasn't a big deal when Prosper had 1000 people in it. But now it has almost 23,000 and people are pissed off and rightfully so.

While this ridiculous train situation supposedly be fixed, Prosper has plenty of money to spend on a 50 million dollar stadium/athletic complex.

I'm pretty sure it costs quite a bit less than 50 million to build bridges where the railroad intersects with Fronter, Prosper Trail, and Fishtrap. But the town council has decided that nothing can be done about the train because BNSF was here before Prosper was here. So they throw up their hands and do nothing.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:13 PM

18,544 posts, read 7,292,174 times
Quote:
Dallas is LESS densely populated than most of the suburbs, and the traffic is much better. And LOL at the notion that a new house is preferable to a 30-year-old house.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:06 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,074,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Dallas is LESS densely populated than most of the suburbs, and the traffic is much better. And LOL at the notion that a new house is preferable to a 30-year-old house.
Two ways to look at it. Either the poster was talking about Downtown Dallas, which should be more densely populated than the suburb municipalities, or the inner ring suburbs, "densely populated hell hole of a city near downtown Dallas" (since neighborhoods in Dallas are not towns), which I believe are more densely populated than outer suburbs. Regardless, I'm inclined to believe that what the poster said about density is true.

Also, need proof that traffic is better in Dallas than,, say, Frisco. Sure, maybe to Dallas, but that is like saying traffic is better in New York, because it takes less time to drive to New York from New York than Dallas. For equal distance trips, I'm willing to also believe point a to point b in Prosper takes less time or roughly the same time as in Dallas. Not "much better" or much worse in Dallas.

Last, a lot of people do prefer new houses. I don't know what makes you believe that the idea that most Texans prefer homes to be younger is so laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: