U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 10:39 AM

1,222 posts, read 1,051,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75214Dad View Post
If you are so unfamiliar with the area that you are unaware of homes that have been there 9+ months, then why are you commenting on it? Maybe keep your opinions of the area off the internet?

I mean who is really the jerk here? The guy who lives in walking distance and intimately knows (and thus advocates for) the area, or the lady who spouts off her opinions from miles away without regard to fact?

Wow, let's all calm down here. Plenty of people who know E Dallas well would still tell a single female to be incredibly careful before choosing a rental where OP is considering. My friends in Munger Place and on Swiss Ave still consider things southwest of Fitzhugh and southeast of Columbia as the "no go zones" until you get further northeast (say around Beacon). Your confidence in the area is not universally shared so I don't see why you're getting rude with people just because they disagree with you. I am in that area every single weekday (and many weekends) and I have chimed in that OP is going to want to be very careful selecting a rental in that area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 10:53 AM

67 posts, read 40,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Wow, let's all calm down here. Plenty of people who know E Dallas well would still tell a single female to be incredibly careful before choosing a rental where OP is considering. My friends in Munger Place and on Swiss Ave still consider things southwest of Fitzhugh and southeast of Columbia as the "no go zones" until you get further northeast (say around Beacon). Your confidence in the area is not universally shared so I don't see why you're getting rude with people just because they disagree with you. I am in that area every single weekday (and many weekends) and I have chimed in that OP is going to want to be very careful selecting a rental in that area.
Wow, "no go zones". I wonder why rich white people on Swiss Ave might think that...I'm not really going to take kindly to people bad mouthing areas when they have likely never been to them (see TC80s admission she knows nothing of Mt Auburn circa 2018). Your friends comments and many of the other posters are racially motivated. Let's be honest and admit that.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:04 AM

12,413 posts, read 23,896,258 times
Quote:
If you are so unfamiliar with the area that you are unaware of homes that have been there 9+ months, then why are you commenting on it? Maybe keep your opinions of the area off the internet?

I mean who is really the jerk here? The guy who lives in walking distance and intimately knows (and thus advocates for) the area, or the lady who spouts off her opinions from miles away without regard to fact?
I provided a link to an available and affordable rental in the neighborhood where I suggested OP look. I think that counts as being informed on the going market rates there. That I didn’t know about current new construction in Mount Auburn 1) doesn’t make me unqualified to comment and 2) doesn’t give you the right to tell me to shut up and sit in my corner, especially when the presence of new builds does not currently equate to an absence of affordable rentals. Furthermore, Mount Auburnis still a safer neighborhood for OP than the original one about which she inquired.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:14 AM

9,288 posts, read 4,348,042 times
Hey OP, some guy on the internet says it's OK for a young single female who knows nothing about the city or the neighborhood to live there, so it must be OK.

Never mind what lifelong Dallasites, or the DPD crime maps, or anything else, implies - one guy knows the deal. Come on down! Don't worry, it'll be OK. What could possibly go wrong?

Old 12-19-2018, 01:15 PM

1,222 posts, read 1,051,289 times
Quote:
Wow, "no go zones". I wonder why rich white people on Swiss Ave might think that...I'm not really going to take kindly to people bad mouthing areas when they have likely never been to them (see TC80s admission she knows nothing of Mt Auburn circa 2018). Your friends comments and many of the other posters are racially motivated. Let's be honest and admit that.

No go like they wouldn't live there, and wouldn't want to be walking there at night. As it would happen, the friend on Swiss is Indian, but your determination to judge yourself superior to others is astounding.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:58 PM

9,288 posts, read 4,348,042 times
And I rather doubt that anyone commenting that the area south of Columbia just before it turns into Main Streeet is a dangerous area, is a "rich white person living on Swiss Avenue". I know I certainly am not. What I am is a native Dallasite who has watched many areas become gentrified, and that area isn't doing it yet.

I clearly remember when the "M Streets" were a bad part of town, and then I remember when they became gentrified. Do you? Here are some other questions to test your East Dallas/Northeast Dallas knowledge: do you know why "Vickery Park" is called that? Do you know what business occupied the location of the Village Apartments, before the Village Apartments were there? Do you know who Stoney Burns was? Where does Upper Greenville become Lower Greenville, and where does Lower Greenville become Lowest Greenville? What do the initials in "H&M Health Foods" stand for (old-time lower Greenville establishment)? What were the two re-routings of Abrams, and roughly when were they done? Where was Honest Joe's, and what kind of an establishment was it? Where did the Denison interurban run? What was the name of the drugstore in Lakewood Center?

There are some people here with deep lifelong knowledge of Dallas neighborhoods, and if I were a young single woman coming from out of town and looking for an inexpensive rental in a safe part of town, I think I would pay attention to what they are saying.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:27 PM

209 posts, read 287,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Where does one need to be cautious between Mockingbird and Lovers in the Lakewood area? The very end of Lovers at northwest highway by that hostel? I can’t think of anywhere else and I used to live over there.

I was referring to right off of Greenville between Mockingbird and Lovers. There are a few places right off of Lovers and I've seen an uptick in the past 2 years of crime/sketch right there (most closely to the 7-Eleven and then the Lovers Train Station). I had an office in the Meadows Building and was harassed several times in the parking lot there, at the Office Depot, Post Office and then at that 7-Eleven. Based off of that - I wouldn't want to live right off of Greenville for those reasons. Not bad per-se - but a little closer to some of the 'grit'.

And in just a 'general' reply to 75214Dad - I actually champion diversity and chose East Dallas over Frisco. BUT - as others have stated above - when a single female NOT FROM DALLAS asks about a certain area - it would be irresponsible to say - hey it is super awesome - you will be super safe - leave your door unlocked. I stated observations and how safe 'I' would feel for myself or my daughter. I'm a little 5'2 blonde who has been harassed enough to know where to stay away from.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:40 PM

13,094 posts, read 3,824,939 times
Quote:
Hey y'all, first time poster, long time listener.

The OP's area, between Columbia and the Santa Fe trail, is quite interesting. There are many new buildings being built, and a number of renovations. If it matches her rent and commute requirements why knock it? OP, so you know, the group of people that post here most will only speak favorably of areas that fit their suburbanized views. They will not speak favorably of majority-minority areas, schools, or communities.
Everywhere in Texas is 100% minority, so you're mistaken.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:46 AM

270 posts, read 762,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstex070504 View Post
Hello,

I have been getting mixed messages about this neighborhood and was hoping someone could offer some insight. I am currently looking to rent a place in the Munger Place neighborhood near east side ave and Henderson. Is this area ok to live in. Realistically what is the crime rate in this area especially being a single female. Like I said I am getting mixed reviews from this neighborhood just through google searches. Any insight would be great.
OP, where are you working and what is your budget? People on the forum might be able to recommend some other options that would align with your needs.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:33 PM

22 posts, read 10,328 times
I'll throw in my opinion...I have never LIVED in that area but I am a young female who commuted through this area 5 days a week for 3 years. I would exit Hwy 30 at Munger and take Fitzhugh to my office at the corner of 75 and Fitzhugh. Many days I would either go grab something to eat near Abrams and Gaston or there would be traffic that caused me to drive alternate routes in the area. At one point I actually considered moving to Vickery Place but ultimately decided against it. So I may not be an EXPERT but I certainly can speak in general to the area at various times of the day (on my way in around 7 am, during lunch around 12, or going home around 5-6). I personally would say a HARD NO to living near where you inquired. I would not feel safe even driving down that street, let alone living/sleeping there! I personally saw police pursuits (on foot), public urination, and just a general "ghetto-ness". There are better areas to live within a reasonable budget. No need to feel unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or