Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2019, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 11,185 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'd like to hear your opinions on charter schools in surrounding areas to Las Colinas. Our daughter will be in kindergarten in August. I work in Plano/Frisco are and my wife works in downtown, so we're flexible on locations.

As of today, we've only toured Great Hearts/North Hills/Coppell Classical Academy. I tried the search function on the forum on these schools and found limited mentions on North Hills and nothing on the other two schools.

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 07:56 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
I have had and have friends with kids at all three. They all have a good reputation. Great Hearts seems to be the "it" one right now. However, actually getting in seems to be another issue. You might want to apply to all three and see where you actually get in first.

A friend with a kid at Great Hearts did tell me that kids (as young as Kindergarten) get lunch detention for tardies (2, I think she said). That made me raise me eyebrows a little...when a kid is late at that age it is clearly not their fault. In general all three seem to have a reputation for being very structured and strict. Could be great for some kids. Maybe not so awesome for others.

As a side note, I have a couple friends who chose charters because their zoned schools weren't great. I get that. However, I have others running to charters while zoned to great schools (Coppell) and for the life of me, I cannot figure it out. It isn't like they even had a bad experience in the ISD (they never even tried it!)...there is definitely some hype around them that I really don't get.

Last edited by mSooner; 02-02-2019 at 08:12 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas