Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 11:35 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
At first it was so exciting and cool, now enough is enough...
Once the companies stop coming and people stop moving there, then stagnation will soon set in. Once the area stagnates it becomes undesireable and people who can afford it move away leaving the area with a large percentage of poor people many of whom have little to no ambition to improve their life's circumstances. In no time at all, your once desireable and prosperous city quickly becomes undesireable and on the verge of bankruptcy.

There's plenty of cities thru out the country that once flew high and now are seeping in a sea of stagnation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 11:41 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Once the companies stop coming and people stop moving there, then stagnation will soon set in. Once the area stagnates it becomes undesireable and people who can afford it move away leaving the area with a large percentage of poor people many of whom have little to no ambition to improve their life's circumstances. In no time at all, your once desireable and prosperous city quickly becomes undesireable and on the verge of bankruptcy.

There's plenty of cities thru out the country that once flew high and now are seeping in a sea of stagnation.
Umm...lots of large cities have been fairly stagnant but still have healthy housing markets. You are way over simplifying suburban blight.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:58 PM

786 posts, read 1,221,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
I TOTALLY agree. It's at the point now where all the relocations and all the problems that come with them are HURTING many long time locals who were already here more than they are actually helping DFW/Texas. You won't get much sympathy for pointing that out on this elitist and transplant heavy forum, though, so get ready for the onslaught of attacks and criticisms from the aforementioned (including many of the USUAL suspects, no doubt)...
Totally agree here, too. The traffic is a nightmare & there is a ton of rapid, unsustainable slash & burn development further exacerbating the traffic.

It’s amusing the usual reply is “if you don’t like it, move.” Easy to say coming from people who A) haven’t lived here long enough to have any basis for comparison between past & present livability or B) are affluent enough to live in the park cities / Preston hollow bubble and not have to contend with the day-to-day rigors of a commute to areas that offer more affordable housing options.

DFW has always had a strong economy and good jobs. When did we NOT have jobs here? Wanting to contain the sprawl, traffic & suburban blight in DFW shouldn’t be a bad thing. And, people who have lived here decades shouldn’t be told so flippantly to “just move” for simply expressing fondness for how things were more accessible before some of the recent growth.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:49 AM

964 posts, read 876,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
Totally agree here, too. The traffic is a nightmare & there is a ton of rapid, unsustainable slash & burn development further exacerbating the traffic.

It’s amusing the usual reply is “if you don’t like it, move.” Easy to say coming from people who A) haven’t lived here long enough to have any basis for comparison between past & present livability or B) are affluent enough to live in the park cities / Preston hollow bubble and not have to contend with the day-to-day rigors of a commute to areas that offer more affordable housing options.

DFW has always had a strong economy and good jobs. When did we NOT have jobs here? Wanting to contain the sprawl, traffic & suburban blight in DFW shouldn’t be a bad thing. And, people who have lived here decades shouldn’t be told so flippantly to “just move” for simply expressing fondness for how things were more accessible before some of the recent growth.
Yes and before Dallas was an irrelevant city that the only thing about it that people liked was a TV show and a football team. Dallas is now a relevant city in the US and that is because it has grown into a city that is modernized and provides an experience that is very close to the other major cities. Newsflash nobody wanted to go to Dallas before and now the masses and companies do. This is because it has evolved.

Apparently most people around here are still country bumpkins that have not evolved.

You already said it but I'll repeat it. Either evolve and keep up or move out. You know why it's easy to say move? Because personally I have kept up and evolved and can go wherever I want, just as many here can. Those same people are doers and don't complain about things they just get things done and if they were miserable they would leave. How many jobs a week do you apply for out of state or out of the area? I guarantee few or none.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post

Excellent post. I agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Yes and before Dallas was an irrelevant city that the only thing about it that people liked was a TV show and a football team. Dallas is now a relevant city in the US and that is because it has grown into a city that is modernized and provides an experience that is very close to the other major cities. Newsflash nobody wanted to go to Dallas before and now the masses and companies do. This is because it has evolved.

Apparently most people around here are still country bumpkins that have not evolved.

You already said it but I'll repeat it. Either evolve and keep up or move out. You know why it's easy to say move? Because personally I have kept up and evolved and can go wherever I want, just as many here can. Those same people are doers and don't complain about things they just get things done and if they were miserable they would leave. How many jobs a week do you apply for out of state or out of the area? I guarantee few or none.
This is the dumbest thing I've read all day.

People have been carpetbagging their way down here for decades, even when Dallas was "irrelevant" and nothing more than a TV show and a football team (in your esteemed and seemingly uninformed opinion).

Should we feel honored that someone like you deigns to live in a city (with all of us "country bumpkins" who were here in the 70s/80s) that you deem relevant? Because I'll tell you...I don't feel honored. More like...disgusted. But hey, I'm just a dumb hick...what do I know?

Old 12-18-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Excellent post. I agree 100%.

This is the dumbest thing I've read all day.

People have been carpetbagging their way down here for decades, even when Dallas was "irrelevant" and nothing more than a TV show and a football team (in your esteemed and seemingly uninformed opinion).

Should we feel honored that someone like you deigns to live in a city (with all of us "country bumpkins" who were here in the 70s/80s) that you deem relevant? Because I'll tell you...I don't feel honored. More like...disgusted. But hey, I'm just a dumb hick...what do I know?
No you should feel honored that people now consider this at the top of their list when deciding where they want to relocate to because 20 years ago Dallas was irrelevant and you are fooling yourself if you think the masses wanted to migrate here. Now people actually want to migrate here and companies want to migrate here.

BTW Seattle was similar but Microsoft and Amazon changed that.

Hey though it makes more sense to just stay in a place that makes you miserable.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
No you should feel honored that people now consider this at the top of their list when deciding where they want to relocate to because 15 years ago Dallas was irrelevant and you are fooling yourself if you think the masses wanted to migrate here. Now people actually want to migrate here and companies want to migrate here.
Newsflash...people and companies have been moving here for decades.

You really don't know anything about this area (or its history). I'd encourage you to learn about it, but we both know that's not going to happen.

I hope your time here is brief.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Newsflash...people and companies have been moving here for decades.

You really don't know anything about this area (or its history). I'd encourage you to learn about it, but we both know that's not going to happen.

I hope your time here is brief.

Sorry but your opinion of relevance being from here matters none. Of course you think it is relevant. On a global scale no one considered Dallas relevant of the actual global cities in the US of 20-30 years ago (LA, NY, Chicago, and more recently SF). Now it is considered relevant and a major player when it comes to most industries.

My time here will be as long as I want it to be because unlike you I have evolved and kept up and can choose to live anywhere I want to instead of being forced to stay in some place where I am miserable.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:00 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
It's a good problem to have. Many areas of the country would love to have a fraction of the net business in-migration that Dallas has.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:01 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,173,430 times
I didn't think this needed it's own thread, but the old EDS headquarters at Legacy/Parkwood just sold. Here is the listing: https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...he-market.html

I'm curious if this will be developed into more shops/apartments or if it will remain a corporate campus. The buildings can hold thousands of employees. There is a lot of land on this property that is mostly underutilized and the building, even though it's been updated a bit inside, is a bit older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas