U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 02:53 PM

563 posts, read 2,577,577 times

Advertisements

Lawn Grass.
The house we bought seems to have the very popular half dead slow growing variety that people seem to grow in their front yards in Carrollton. Its not pleasant on the feet but, on the plus side, my neighbors have already mowed twice and our lawn is just waking up.
BUT what is the name of this stuff?? Some fertilizers say specifically not to use them on certain types of grass. Since it is so 'half deadish' my instinct is to fertilize it at least once for this year (I'm not too hot on fertilizing or pesticiding the yard - fire ants excepted) but I'm not sure if I will kill it by using the wrong fertilizer. Sorry about the lack of a picture - I haven't figured out how to do that just yet. I could just rip out a chunk and take it to a garden center but I thought perhaps its common knowledge in the area since so many yards seem to have it.
Also, we have an in ground sprinkler system (woo hoo) which I have not used at all last month since it has been raining off and on and I figure that's good enough. could that be making my lawn look ratty? Are people watering at night or something?? Any tips would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 02:59 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,874,869 times
Oh boy, those clumps of thick dark green "grass". FUN! NOT!!! Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy yourself a "weed hound" I believe it is called. It is this $10 contraption that pulls weeds w/o you having to bend over - push top handle down, insert "teeth" on bottom into ground around center of weed, push down w/ foot and then pull up on handle and pull out weed. It gets the weeds out by the ROOT!!! If you don't get the root it will continue to grow and spread. I've tried EVERYTHING in the past and yes some weed killers for this will kill your lawn (bermuda or st augustine) if you get the wrong one. Best bet to really get rid of it is to get it up by the roots out of the ground. I don't have a problem w/ it anymore after I spent a summer a few years ago doing this.

For some reason this "dallas grass" can be a serious problem in yards that used rye grass (or winter grass). If you don't put out winter grass then this stuff shows up and is noticeable.

You also need to put down any pre-emigent for weed control in NOVEMBER! Now you can fertilize and that is fine and water when needed. You can find healthy fertilizers to use and still be organic.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:06 PM

7,741 posts, read 18,444,088 times
Yup, pull out those patches of that crap one by one like mom said. Eventually the St Augustine will grow into the holes you just made. Now is the perfect time of year to go out & do it.

Also pretty sure it's called "dallisgrass", not Dallas.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Yup, pull out those patches of that crap one by one like mom said. Eventually the St Augustine will grow into the holes you just made. Now is the perfect time of year to go out & do it.

Also pretty sure it's called "dallisgrass", not Dallas.
Yep, "dallisgrass". With the ground being soft from the rain we have had it should be MUCH easier to get out but don't use your hands to do it even w/ gloves on. Talk about killing your hand........... done that before. I'd pay $100 for that dang contraption I have.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Status: "The man likes to play chess; let's get him some rocks. Red" (set 6 days ago)

3,973 posts, read 9,413,706 times
I have a theory:

I think that some of those homeowners that have lush green grass year round, just sneek out at night, while normal people sleep, and they spray paint their yard green.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it

Old 04-07-2008, 04:13 PM

2,078 posts, read 3,634,647 times
Default Re:

No spray paint to it - those green grass lawns in winter are ryegrass, seeded in the fall. It lives about 6 months and dies off at the same time that the perennial grass comes back.

I agree with the OP - the Dallas grass, be it Bermuda or St. Augustine, really is unpleasant to walk on, compared to your standard northern grass.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:25 PM

3 posts, read 16,736 times
Bermuda Grass:

Cynodon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

St. Augustine grass:
St. Augustine grass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-07-2008, 04:27 PM

11,879 posts, read 25,460,716 times
I bought Ortho concentrated Total Kill and that got rid of the dallisgrass. But I have this other grass that I sprayed it on and nothing...

It's dark green and in clumps. It actually looks like rye or something and is pretty, but it's green well before my st. augustine and I'd like things to be uniform.

What is this? Anybody know?

Old 04-07-2008, 04:29 PM

2,241 posts, read 6,558,951 times
Are there any companies that come out and fertilize and treat for weeds? We had a service where we use to live, but it seems that the people that do that here, also cut your lawn. My son and I take care of the lawn mowing, but it would be nice to have someone do the fertilizing and weed control only.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:39 PM

Chemlawn does just the spraying for fertilizer and weed control but every yard in my area that I know uses them looks like crap. It doesn't take much to do it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas