Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 08:05 AM

88 posts, read 97,072 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Our son will be KG age for 2019/20. We are currently enrolled at St Mark Catholic School in Plano. We are hoping to get him in Stinson Elementary vs our assigned Schell Elementary. We want to do this as Stinson is a notch better in scores etc than Schell even though both are 10s and a good number of his friends are assigned to Stinson. I heard you can request a transfer at certain points during the year but if he's not even enrolled in Plano ISD yet or have gone over a year, I assume you can only do the request ot transfer after at least 1 semester? Any suggestions? Alternatively and more drastic, I assume I can rent an apartment within the boundaries of Stinson so I can get him immediately?

Any suggestions? thoughts? Ideas? Experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 11:45 AM

478 posts, read 417,879 times
Thoughts?

It’s a terrible idea.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:54 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
In our ISD, only certain (less popular) schools can be transferred into. You don't, for example, buy a house zoned to the worst HS in the district and then transfer into the best HS in the district. There is a time period in the winter when requests can be made for transfers for the following year, and yes your student has to be enrolled already.

Renting an apartment so your son can attend a different elementary seems a bit much. The school you are zoned to is already rated a 10? How much different are the test scores? You realize this is kindergarten and not high school, right?

I know this is not what you are asking, but my advice is to relax a bit, and look at the big picture. This is kindergarten. You have years and years to worry about test scores. If you feel your son needs additional academic stimulation or help, the money you don't spend renting an apartment you won't live in could be spent on Kumon or a tutor or sports lessons or music lessons or travel. There are a hundred different ways to enrich your child besides which particular kindergarten he attends.

As for the bit about his friends are going to the other school, kids this age should be making new friends and expanding their social circle. I wouldn't try to limit him at this point. The ability to meet new friends and feel at ease in new environments will serve your son well his whole life--this is much more important than elementary test scores, IMO.

If the school you are zoned to is in fact well rated, I would schedule a visit for your family, if you haven't already, and see for yourself what it is like. This may also help ease some of your concerns about sending him off to Kindy, which is but one of the many times we have to start letting go of our kids. It's hard, but it will be OK.

Just MO.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:59 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavid1101 View Post
Hi,

Our son will be KG age for 2019/20. We are currently enrolled at St Mark Catholic School in Plano. We are hoping to get him in Stinson Elementary vs our assigned Schell Elementary. We want to do this as Stinson is a notch better in scores etc than Schell even though both are 10s and a good number of his friends are assigned to Stinson. I heard you can request a transfer at certain points during the year but if he's not even enrolled in Plano ISD yet or have gone over a year, I assume you can only do the request ot transfer after at least 1 semester? Any suggestions? Alternatively and more drastic, I assume I can rent an apartment within the boundaries of Stinson so I can get him immediately?

Thoughts? You’re completely insane. You’re assigned to an excellent elementary school in one of the best ISD’s in Texas. Your 5 year old will make friends at his new school. Kids are pretty amazing like that

You’re welcome to throw away your money to rent an apartment in Stinson but you’d be better off taking a stack of $12,000 and just lighting it on fire. Both would do the same to “advance” your son vs the school he’s zoned for. It’s not like you’re renting an apartment that would get him into Greenhill or St Marks which are honestly the only two schools that are significantly better than a top Plano ISD campus.

Relax and chill out a bit. I know we all want the best for our kids but your idea is so over-the-top ridiculous it’s actually crazy.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:12 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Sheesh.

You don't even know if the kid's going to be an academic whiz or not. He's what, 4 1/2 years old?

He may turn out to be a highly social athlete with mediocre academic ability who will just barely manage to graduate high school and end up a highly successful salesman.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:32 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,784 times
Rather than rent an apartment, why not keep him at St. Mark's for the same money?

Also, both elementary schools are zoned to Otto MS and Williams HS. He will get to see his friends again then, or at play dates and sports teams.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:55 PM

8,134 posts, read 3,671,773 times
Quote:
Hi,

Here (scroll down to see transfer guidelines and campuses closed for transfer):

https://www.pisd.edu/pisdtransfer

Old 01-24-2019, 01:10 PM

88 posts, read 97,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
In our ISD, only certain (less popular) schools can be transferred into. You don't, for example, buy a house zoned to the worst HS in the district and then transfer into the best HS in the district. There is a time period in the winter when requests can be made for transfers for the following year, and yes your student has to be enrolled already.

Renting an apartment so your son can attend a different elementary seems a bit much. The school you are zoned to is already rated a 10? How much different are the test scores? You realize this is kindergarten and not high school, right?

I know this is not what you are asking, but my advice is to relax a bit, and look at the big picture. This is kindergarten. You have years and years to worry about test scores. If you feel your son needs additional academic stimulation or help, the money you don't spend renting an apartment you won't live in could be spent on Kumon or a tutor or sports lessons or music lessons or travel. There are a hundred different ways to enrich your child besides which particular kindergarten he attends.

As for the bit about his friends are going to the other school, kids this age should be making new friends and expanding their social circle. I wouldn't try to limit him at this point. The ability to meet new friends and feel at ease in new environments will serve your son well his whole life--this is much more important than elementary test scores, IMO.

If the school you are zoned to is in fact well rated, I would schedule a visit for your family, if you haven't already, and see for yourself what it is like. This may also help ease some of your concerns about sending him off to Kindy, which is but one of the many times we have to start letting go of our kids. It's hard, but it will be OK.

Just MO.

I have tried to schedule a tour ideally during the day to see how the interactions are with students and teachers. They dont have an open house but they will have a "Kindergarden Round-Up" in march for resitration, info etc. I have also been told you can schedule a visit at 3-3:30pm which is after school hours to see the facilities.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:21 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
I have tried to schedule a tour ideally during the day to see how the interactions are with students and teachers. They dont have an open house but they will have a "Kindergarden Round-Up" in march for resitration, info etc. I have also been told you can schedule a visit at 3-3:30pm which is after school hours to see the facilities.
For crying out loud, it's a public kindergarten in an excellent school district. There will be little kids running around and doing kindergarten activities. Some may be crying, others laughing. They are five years old. What are you looking for? It's not freaking Harvard, you know.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:41 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
That's great, but keep in mind that what you see now will not stay stagnant. The teachers and kids will change, crating a different dynamic.You can't predict it or control it. Raise your son to learn to handle different environments and different kinds of people. That will make him a better person in the long run.

You can only control your situation up to a certain point. After that, it is how a person responds to a situation that makes them a success or a failure.

What exactly are you trying to protect your son from at this highly rated elementary school, anyway?

FWIW, my son spent his 8th grade year in what would be considered a "bad" school in another state. It was a hard year, but it shaped his character and he triumphed in the end. He was recognized with 9 awards at the end of the year. He says if he hadn't gone through that year, there is no way he could have handled high school.

Challenges are not bad for our children. Indeed, they can usually handle more than we think they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: