Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 03:11 PM

964 posts, read 876,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex Ranger View Post
Southlake is probably the only one that I would say COULD be a little cliquey, but it's such a big school that there's bound to be a niche for your son to fit in.

Is the commute toward the Ft Worth direction?
Quite the opposite with cliques. Southlake is one of the schools where I literally never hear a thing about bullying. I have 3 kids in this district and it has been nothing short of incredible. Because after the 4th grade you will never go to school with anyone more than 1 year older or 1 year younger than you bullying does not happen often. My middle child has literally nothing to do with sports and has no issues. My older is heavily involved in a sport and also has no issues. My guess is that if OP decides to go here he will find a close group of friends that have similar interests that no one cares to bother because they simply hang out with kids that have similar interests but is also likely that your son/daughter will become friends with other students that are into sports (for example). If anyone was going to be picked on it would be my middle child and yet he has never had an issue.

This school system has exponentially more school spirit (both parents and kids) than any other school in DFW by a mile which is why they sell so much garb and people love that every single school in the district has the same mascot. What I have found is if you are in the Dragon family you are a Dragon. Pure and simple. Don't care if it is football, no sport, band, art, computers, debate, etc. Never seen a situation where I have met 100s of people over the years that go to the football game purely for the band and not the game, or for the cheerleaders and not the game.

We had to the chance to go to Westlake and chose to stay at Carroll of that helps OP at all.

Whatever you choose OP you have some pretty darn good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 04:40 PM

20 posts, read 30,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Quite the opposite with cliques. Southlake is one of the schools where I literally never hear a thing about bullying. I have 3 kids in this district and it has been nothing short of incredible. Because after the 4th grade you will never go to school with anyone more than 1 year older or 1 year younger than you bullying does not happen often. My middle child has literally nothing to do with sports and has no issues. My older is heavily involved in a sport and also has no issues. My guess is that if OP decides to go here he will find a close group of friends that have similar interests that no one cares to bother because they simply hang out with kids that have similar interests but is also likely that your son/daughter will become friends with other students that are into sports (for example). If anyone was going to be picked on it would be my middle child and yet he has never had an issue.

This school system has exponentially more school spirit (both parents and kids) than any other school in DFW by a mile which is why they sell so much garb and people love that every single school in the district has the same mascot. What I have found is if you are in the Dragon family you are a Dragon. Pure and simple. Don't care if it is football, no sport, band, art, computers, debate, etc. Never seen a situation where I have met 100s of people over the years that go to the football game purely for the band and not the game, or for the cheerleaders and not the game.

We had to the chance to go to Westlake and chose to stay at Carroll of that helps OP at all.

Wow thanks for the great insight!

Old 01-30-2019, 08:25 PM

478 posts, read 417,599 times
Quote:

I don't equate cliques with bullying.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:46 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:

Cliques and bullying aren’t the same thing.

Cliques are a group of friends who don’t let new people into their circle, whether it’s the guys lacrosse team or a pack of AP kids or a group of girls who have all been BFF’s since kindergarten. They’re happy as they aren’t and aren’t looking to expand. But just because the lacrosse guys don’t invite that new lacrosse player to hang out on the weekends doesn’t mean they’re bullying him. They just aren’t going to welcome him into the group or make any meaningful friendship / connection with them.

Bullying is when the BFF’s since kindergarten not only exclude the girl who just moved here and lives in their neighborhood, but actively goes out of their way to torture her (spreading rumors/lies in person or via social media, messaging her incessantly calling her a **** or a loser, or physically harming her like ripping her shirt open at school). Not inviting her to hangout is being “cliquey”, snapchatting the entire school that she’s a **** is bullying her.

I can’t answer this question for OP with respect to any of those three schools so this is not directed at any school, just clarifying what OP was asking about in case someone with direct knowledge is out there.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:38 PM

786 posts, read 1,221,918 times
Hi - id encourage you to move forward with Carroll ISD. It has the strongest reputation of the 3, and your budget allows you many good housing options within the district. The social climate isn’t going to be different enough at Byron or Keller HS to warrant picking them over Carroll. 2 of my very close friends have kids at Carroll who were unfortunately bullied in Highland Park ISD, and they’ve had no issues at Carroll.
Also, keep in mind that your budget puts you at the high end of Keller, and to an extent, Trophy Club. Your appreciation and home value will be better in the long run if you’re in Southlake. Folks are willing to pay the premium for the schools.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:02 AM

964 posts, read 876,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Cliques and bullying aren’t the same thing.

Cliques are a group of friends who don’t let new people into their circle, whether it’s the guys lacrosse team or a pack of AP kids or a group of girls who have all been BFF’s since kindergarten. They’re happy as they aren’t and aren’t looking to expand. But just because the lacrosse guys don’t invite that new lacrosse player to hang out on the weekends doesn’t mean they’re bullying him. They just aren’t going to welcome him into the group or make any meaningful friendship / connection with them.

Bullying is when the BFF’s since kindergarten not only exclude the girl who just moved here and lives in their neighborhood, but actively goes out of their way to torture her (spreading rumors/lies in person or via social media, messaging her incessantly calling her a **** or a loser, or physically harming her like ripping her shirt open at school). Not inviting her to hangout is being “cliquey”, snapchatting the entire school that she’s a **** is bullying her.

I can’t answer this question for OP with respect to any of those three schools so this is not directed at any school, just clarifying what OP was asking about in case someone with direct knowledge is out there.
I understand what a clique is and bullying was meant to be a separate topic. If any of you think 1500 kids are going to be friends with 1500 kids you are fooling yourself. Every single school has cliques. End of story. The only time cliques should be an issue is if bullying occurs from 1 clique to another or if there are only X number of cliques and your child cannot find one to get into. The reality is that it is highly likely at large schools any kid will be able to find kids that have the same interests.

As a parent you worry about 2 things when your kids starts a new school as it relates to social interaction- 1) Not being able to find any friends and 2) being bullied. Not an issue as I have seen at Carroll so far. I have heard names of kids regarding various situations throughout the years and anytime I ask any of my kids if they know, are friends with, her have heard of (insert child name) they usually say they do know of , are friends with, or have heard of, but they have no issue with that kid nor does anyone else. In essence these kids are too busy with academics, sports, extra curricular to worry about who is in their clique or who to bully.

Many times one person is the only friend of another person coming in and that person is welcomed with open arms by the "Clique". Again I think with the school spirit this district has it simply is far more powerful than some kid trying to keep another away from their friends.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
Hi - id encourage you to move forward with Carroll ISD. It has the strongest reputation of the 3, and your budget allows you many good housing options within the district. The social climate isn’t going to be different enough at Byron or Keller HS to warrant picking them over Carroll. 2 of my very close friends have kids at Carroll who were unfortunately bullied in Highland Park ISD, and they’ve had no issues at Carroll.
Also, keep in mind that your budget puts you at the high end of Keller, and to an extent, Trophy Club. Your appreciation and home value will be better in the long run if you’re in Southlake. Folks are willing to pay the premium for the schools.
Thank you! This was a great summary and where my thoughts were going. Schools and resale are always my first priority. We have relocated quite a few times.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:19 AM

Thank you everyone for the great information. It’s all been very helpful!

Old 01-31-2019, 07:51 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat72 View Post
No he is commuting to Irving. He is maybe 10 minutes from the airport.
Then you definitely want to look in Southlake or Grapevine. Keller is a bad commute through heavy traffic on 114 to Las Colinas. I've had coworkers who made that commute, and their solution was to get to work at 7 AM. If they were any later, they would just be sitting in traffic.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:05 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,173,430 times
OP, is there any reason why Coppell isn't on your list? It's closer to Irving than Keller and Trophy Club and the schools are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas