Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 08:23 AM

20 posts, read 30,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
OP, is there any reason why Coppell isn't on your list? It's closer to Irving than Keller and Trophy Club and the schools are great.
It wasn’t really on my radar but that’s a good suggestion. I will do a little more research. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 10:12 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
Hi - id encourage you to move forward with Carroll ISD. It has the strongest reputation of the 3, and your budget allows you many good housing options within the district. The social climate isn’t going to be different enough at Byron or Keller HS to warrant picking them over Carroll. 2 of my very close friends have kids at Carroll who were unfortunately bullied in Highland Park ISD, and they’ve had no issues at Carroll.
Also, keep in mind that your budget puts you at the high end of Keller, and to an extent, Trophy Club. Your appreciation and home value will be better in the long run if you’re in Southlake. Folks are willing to pay the premium for the schools.

I agree with this and at least all the juniors would also be new to the building, even if they've known each other for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Then you definitely want to look in Southlake or Grapevine. Keller is a bad commute through heavy traffic on 114 to Las Colinas. I've had coworkers who made that commute, and their solution was to get to work at 7 AM. If they were any later, they would just be sitting in traffic.
I'm sorry but this information is misleading. It may not matter to OP, but to other people who read these boards, this is not necessarily correct. Much of Keller that is zoned to Keller HS is literally adjacent to Southlake and Colleyville. My husband works in Irving and his commute is not bad. You do not have to take 114.

There is a lot of "Keller" that is really Fort Worth. Those areas IMO are not what most people are looking for, and they are also zoned to the less well regarded schools. Keller proper is the area all around the Town Center and these are the nicer neighborhoods zoned to Keller HS. Also there is nothing being built in that area that I know of for below $500K.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:05 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
I based that statement on the three coworkers I have had who drove from Keller to Williams Square and MacArthur/Royal. All three of them said the traffic on their commute was very heavy. I personally don't know any other way to get around DFW Airport from the west other than 114. Taking back roads through the airport will be even longer.

OP, be careful about Coppell. The property taxes there are very high when compared to other areas, and Coppell HS is very crowded with all of the recent growth. Your homeowner's and car insurance will also be higher in Dallas County vs. Tarrant County.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:21 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat72 View Post
No he is commuting to Irving. He is maybe 10 minutes from the airport.
In that case, I'd be looking hard at Colleyville and anything zoned to Colleyville-Heritage high. Also the southern half of Flower Mound is a great commute and zone to Flower Mound High School. You could also do Coppell.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:22 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
Quote:
OP, be careful about Coppell. The property taxes there are very high when compared to other areas, and Coppell HS is very crowded with all of the recent growth. Your homeowner's and car insurance will also be higher in Dallas County vs. Tarrant County.
The new 9th grade center opened up this year. It's a non-issue now.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:14 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I based that statement on the three coworkers I have had who drove from Keller to Williams Square and MacArthur/Royal. All three of them said the traffic on their commute was very heavy. I personally don't know any other way to get around DFW Airport from the west other than 114. Taking back roads through the airport will be even longer.
What I'm trying to point out is that there is a big difference between Keller out by 377 and Keller by Davis Blvd. or Precinct Line. You can be in Keller but be 1/2 mile from Southlake or Colleyville.

My husband takes back roads through Colleyville and Grapevine to get to work.

Again, this might not matter to OP but might help someone else.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:10 AM

18 posts, read 25,560 times
Don’t sell Trophy Club short. It is an amazing safe small town community unlike any of the other cities mentioned. Just because CISD is rated the highest doesn’t mean it’s the best for your child.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:14 AM

18 posts, read 25,560 times
Anyone considering Southlake should also consider their commute to and from 114. Some locations are painfully long to drive through every day. Anyone considering Colleyville should also consider the commuter train routes and train noise.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:27 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Now that the testing period is over, the trains no longer sound their horns, so they are very quiet. Those tracks have been used by the Grapevine Railroad for YEARS, so train traffic is nothing new to Colleyville.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:33 AM

318 posts, read 337,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat72 View Post
No he is commuting to Irving. He is maybe 10 minutes from the airport.
You stated that Grapevine maybe too long for your husband commute compared to trophy club, Southlake, Keller, however Grapevine will be the best going to to Irving FYI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas