Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 11:05 AM

964 posts, read 873,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Occurrences like this strike me a couple of ways.
1). It is sad and regrettable that "white" kids ever utter the n-word in public or private or think it for that matter - outside say an academic illustration or maybe as part of play or a reading etc. That word is packed with more hate and inflammatory power than any word I'm aware of....calling a white guy a cracker isn't close.

2). I'm not one for banning much of anything. The n-word should remain in Huckleberry Finn and other legitimate works. However, especially the parents of white kids should banish that word from their children's vocabularies.

3). All that said these kids will suffer. Their families will suffer. Reaction to incidents like this are disproportionate to the offense. Kids murder other kids and receive less press and their families suffer less push back.
Yeah pretty much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 11:15 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,039,944 times
Quote:
Occurrences like this strike me a couple of ways.
1). It is sad and regrettable that "white" kids ever utter the n-word in public or private or think it for that matter - outside say an academic illustration or maybe as part of play or a reading etc. That word is packed with more hate and inflammatory power than any word I'm aware of....calling a white guy a cracker isn't close.

2). I'm not one for banning much of anything. The n-word should remain in Huckleberry Finn and other legitimate works. However, especially the parents of white kids should banish that word from their children's vocabularies.

3). All that said these kids will suffer. Their families will suffer. Reaction to incidents like this are disproportionate to the offense. Kids murder other kids and receive less press and their families suffer less push back.
I agree with all of this.

However, I would like to add that the two articles linked are two of the poorest examples of "journalism" that I've ever read. Basically two people were interviewed and the journalist's conclusion is that the entire town is racist? And not to steer the thread off topic, but the comment about the President was uncalled for. That is her politically charged opinion. It's really odd that no called him racist before he ran for President, or when he was winning awards from the NAACP.

All children should be taught not to make slurs against anyone of another race or religion. It is not only white children who need to learn this.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:51 AM

245 posts, read 251,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Now what happens when a white affluent person moves to south Dallas?
You mean like the guy who started Bonton Farms? That would be great.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:14 PM

52 posts, read 46,054 times
This is precisely why I teach my children to always be cautious around white children and adults. Abuse like this is extremely damaging to black children’s psyche, and we often see black children internalize this abuse. They start to really believe they can’t grow up to be a nurse or doctor etc.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:31 PM

444 posts, read 1,000,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's only news when it's some rich white kid is doing it. I would suspect the majority of the kids in Southlake get along very well and are pretty much color blind.
We have a hundreds years of policies resulting in one of the most segregated metro areas in the country. There is no equivalent treatment of white kids in majority minority schools from that perspective.

These kids were being deliberately transgressive because that's what teenage kids do. Goal achieved. Consequences to follow, hopefully.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:20 PM

578 posts, read 475,092 times
Southlake couple convicted of enslaving African girl for 16 years

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/cr...0-0d1cada48b5e

Old 02-07-2019, 07:20 PM

19,613 posts, read 17,907,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
We have a hundreds years of policies resulting in one of the most segregated metro areas in the country. There is no equivalent treatment of white kids in majority minority schools from that perspective.

These kids were being deliberately transgressive because that's what teenage kids do. Goal achieved. Consequences to follow, hopefully.
The problem with that is most very diverse cities are also very segregated. Dallas is not one of the ten most segregated cities in The US.

According to Brown University the most segregated cities are:
Chicago
Atlanta
Milwaukee
Philadelphia
St. Louis
DC
Baltimore
Baton Rouge
Cleveland
N.O.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:38 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,099,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
Southlake couple convicted of enslaving African girl for 16 years

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/cr...0-0d1cada48b5e
This is a well known story, but not sure the relevance. The couple in question share the same ethnicity/race/nationality as their victim.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:28 PM

444 posts, read 1,000,810 times
Quote:
The problem with that is most very diverse cities are also very segregated. Dallas is not one of the ten most segregated cities in The US.

According to Brown University the most segregated cities are:
Chicago
Atlanta
Milwaukee
Philadelphia
St. Louis
DC
Baltimore
Baton Rouge
Cleveland
N.O.
Dallas is increasingly diverse, but that's not why we have the level of segregation we have today. It's primarily because of 20th century housing policies.

https://www.npr.org/2017/05/03/52665...egated-america

And then you have a resultant economic segregation.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/article...egated-cities/

(Although you will never find me in an argument with Nate Silver, who developed that list you quote above. I think he would stipulate my points as well.)

Old 02-07-2019, 11:00 PM

19,613 posts, read 17,907,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
Dallas is increasingly diverse, but that's not why we have the level of segregation we have today. It's primarily because of 20th century housing policies.

https://www.npr.org/2017/05/03/52665...egated-america

And then you have a resultant economic segregation.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/article...egated-cities/

(Although you will never find me in an argument with Nate Silver, who developed that list you quote above. I think he would stipulate my points as well.)

You are trying really hard to push a narrative that is overblown, the implication that Dallas is a outlier on the segregation front, and now you are moving the goalposts.

1. Nate Silver absolutely did not develop the list I quoted. John Logan at Brown did.

2. Your NPR link is about bad past FHA policies generally and does not mention Dallas but instead Detroit and San Francisco.

3. As noted you are moving the goalposts to economic segregation and again Dallas isn't near the top of that list either among peer cities except in that quite old Pew Research data parroted in your TM link. There are many newer and better studies/surveys on economic segregation. I just looked at 4 and Dallas wasn't in the top 10 in any of them. The highest had Dallas ranked 12th among metros.

ETA - clearly Dallas has problems in the areas you've noted. that said it's simply not accurate to portray Dallas as some oddball outlier.

Last edited by EDS_; 02-07-2019 at 11:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas