U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 08:41 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,787,025 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how people like living in the lower Greenville area? I'm looking at moving down to the area. I've been up in Addison for awhile and I'm familiar with the area, just curious how people like it. It seems like a neighborhood, which Addison does not. Don't get me wrong, Addison is nice and a good location, just looking for something more permanent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 10:30 PM

6,560 posts, read 5,379,484 times
We live near Mockingbird and Greenville. Love the walkability, the proximity to Mockingbird Station, all the restaurants in Lower Greenville, the neighborhood and Glencoe Park. Also the easy access to the Katy Trail. Its a really great location!

Old 02-11-2019, 04:32 AM

8,646 posts, read 4,002,675 times
I think as long as you stay more than a couple blocks away from the bar district on lower Greenville Ave. itself you should be fine. I've not lived south of Mockingbird but I walk and run there frequently. Friday and Saturday nights right adjacent to Greenville will be challenging with all the drunks everywhere.

The area you're talking about IS a neighborhood. It was an established neighborhood when there wasn't diddly squat in Addison except the Owens Corning plant and a Texaco gas station.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:15 AM

3,690 posts, read 5,596,391 times
I've lived in the M streets for 3 years and we love it - great area. We are at Martel & McMillan. Easy/quick access to most parts of the city. Easy access to grocery stores, drug stores, hospitals, doctors, etc. while also being very walkable/bikeable to restaurants and night life. It's nice that you're near so much yet it's very quiet if you're just a short bit off of Greenville itself.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:12 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,569,842 times
We used to live down there--halfway between Greenville & Henderson. It's even better now--so much more since we moved. Overall, we liked it, it just became too expensive/not practical when we had kids.

Parking was an issue. Our duplex had a single driveway, so one of us had to park in the street. Both of us had our side mirrors knocked off in the span of a year. Our neighbor's boyfriend had his window smashed. That was less awesome.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I think as long as you stay more than a couple blocks away from the bar district on lower Greenville Ave. itself you should be fine. I've not lived south of Mockingbird but I walk and run there frequently. Friday and Saturday nights right adjacent to Greenville will be challenging with all the drunks everywhere.

The area you're talking about IS a neighborhood. It was an established neighborhood when there wasn't diddly squat in Addison except the Owens Corning plant and a Texaco gas station.
Thanks for your response. I wasn't saying it wasn't a neighborhood, just saying it also feels like a neighborhood. You could have something that is technically called a neighborhood, but might not feel that way.

I would most likely be on one of the side streets close to Greenville, but not on top of the area. I like going out, but I'm more afternoon or early evening. I don't stay out late, would rather be home or visiting a friend.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We live near Mockingbird and Greenville. Love the walkability, the proximity to Mockingbird Station, all the restaurants in Lower Greenville, the neighborhood and Glencoe Park. Also the easy access to the Katy Trail. Its a really great location!
Thanks, great to hear. It seems to fit everything I'm looking for. I just want to make sure it isn't hype and I'm doing my due diligence. Prices are a little expensive, but I've been watching and they are starting to come down some. Additionally, with all the newer townhomes still going up, it will put more pressure on prices.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I've lived in the M streets for 3 years and we love it - great area. We are at Martel & McMillan. Easy/quick access to most parts of the city. Easy access to grocery stores, drug stores, hospitals, doctors, etc. while also being very walkable/bikeable to restaurants and night life. It's nice that you're near so much yet it's very quiet if you're just a short bit off of Greenville itself.
Thanks. That is exactly what I like about it. I drove around a few weekends ago just getting a feel for if I had to go to the grocery store, or running any errands, and it was quite easy. Everything was close and everything I need is right there. I wouldn't have to come back to the Addison area for anything. It would be further my office, but I work from home 99% of the time.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:16 AM

5,249 posts, read 2,996,733 times
Lower Greenville is an upgrade over Addison. In the 2010s, which is the time I've been in Dallas, it's never been the premier spot for nightlife in Dallas though it has always had its own niche following. Uptown used to eclipse it, and since Uptown went downhill within the last 3-4 years, Deep Ellum has become the premier spot.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:27 AM

87 posts, read 85,156 times
I'll echo the advice to stay a bit back from Greenville Ave. I lived on the corner of Greenville Ave and Longview and was miserable because of the late night noise. The home I bought was built in the 40's and had little insulation so you could hear EVERYTHING! There was also the ocassional drunk guy peeing on my lawn. I owned it a little over a year and then sold it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas