Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 02:07 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,399,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
Sure, OP can look even further north if he doesn't mind leaving home at 6:30 to get to work at 8:00. And then factor in that traffic will get worse every single year.
I disagree, Parks at Legacy (Ashton Woods) in Prosper to Richardson is 30 minute drive. Not sure where you get your directions but your advice is very misleading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 02:51 PM

194 posts, read 180,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
I disagree, Parks at Legacy (Ashton Woods) in Prosper to Richardson is 30 minute drive. Not sure where you get your directions but your advice is very misleading.
He is going to downtown Dallas! His wife will have the Richardson commute.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:46 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,411,135 times
I work at the 635-75 intersection. We have a LOT of people driving in from Frisco, Prosper, Allen and McKinney. Heck I'm coming in from Wylie. As much as people wisely counsel home buyers to look for a short commute, the reality is that many of us make that sacrifice of commute to have good safe neighborhoods, schools, affordable homes. I think at this point, you almost have to bake it into any logistical calculations of moving here. For all the development in Plano, there are simply not enough jobs there to cover all the people living in that part of Collin County. Far more jobs are in Dallas, Richardson, by the airport etc.

Also, the nature of the job market here in the metroplex is that unlike other states/cities, there is no one central business district where all the jobs are located. DFW has at least 8 or 9 different job centers, all spread out, from Downtown Fort Worth, to Addison to West Plano/Legacy, so that what is a rough commute with one job today, could change to a very easy commute with the next job.

If the OP knows he will absolutely hate driving more than 40 minutes, then by all means look in Richardson and areas closer in. If you don't mind that commute then heck go for it in Frisco/Prosper.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:41 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,148,743 times
Well, People commute from all sort of god forsaken places if they have to but someone with no such problems and ablity to afford 500K, doesn't have to.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:02 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,467,729 times
Downtown Dallas?????? WOW...probably 1hr each way and not sure what the tolls are....probably $5 each way...
I'd find a place in Richardson.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:31 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,208,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
Downtown Dallas?????? WOW...probably 1hr each way and not sure what the tolls are....probably $5 each way...
I'd find a place in Richardson.
$5.44 each way from 380 to downtown. That’s $10.88/day or about $2,700 per year. That’s just for the spouse going downtown. Add another $1500-2000 for the spouse going to Richardson. $4500 per year for the priveledge to commute from outer suburbia

Tack on $400/mo to a mortgage instead of commuting and OP could bump his housing budget up another $75k. I’d rather put it in my house than light it on fire on the tollroad.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitkumar View Post
Thanks for all your inputs. I will certainly look at homes near Plano. What do you all think of Trails of Glenwood, Plano subdivision ? Grand homes is one of the builders.
That’s a nice area though a bit far for your commute, it’s almost Allen and Grand isn’t the most popular builder. Don’t limit yourself to new built.

In Plano’s southern and western parts, look for existing home resale. Plano's construction boom was during good times of Texas' economic history, and the homes were build with the intent of builders making names for themselves. A great number of upgraded custom homes with quality workmanship were built on bigger lots. Go look at resale homes and you’ll be surprised by how much more character and upgrades exists in most of >500,000 old homes. You’ll find better location, shorter commute, nicer neighborhood and excellent schools as well.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:21 AM

468 posts, read 471,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some1livesinamerica View Post
op, if you are going to buy in plano, try to avoid east plano. east of 75 is considered as east plano, central plano is between 75 and preston rd, west of preston rd is west plano. In terms of school district, west plano>central>east.
This is absolutely not helpful for people looking at Plano schools. There are great schools and neighborhoods throughout Plano in East, West and central. West side is wealthier and more expensive due to location closer to more job centers but East side has good schools and nice areas too.

In fact if your kid is interested in going to a good college any of the Plano HS will have more AP classes available than just about any other schools in the area. Frisco will be a total joke in that regard so I don't know why people keep saying they have good schools. All the top students and their parents are running around crazy to get them into AP classes and forced to CBE a ton of subjects to try to keep up with the students from other districts who can take a bunch of AP classes on their own campus.

And Frisco only spends money on Football so if your kid wants to be in a club like Robotics the parents have to pay for everything and it's very hard to compete with the other teams who get support from their schools.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,117 times
I recently signed for a home in Miramonte by trendmaker (Dunhill home). I signed for spec home in Jan, there was 7 specs available in community, now in less then 1 month only non are available. So i guess it was a good decision. I think PGA announcement had some impact. Prosper isd according to reliable sources is excellent. Moving in on Friday, if my opinion changes will let update thread.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:47 AM

LOL. New home and a discount. No wonder all specs are gone. Many are in market for “deals”. That area with Frisco location and Prosper ISD defeats purpose of buying there as people are not getting big Prosper lots and small Frisco schools but small Frisco lots and big Prosper schools with long commutes. When foreclosure season hits, these “deals” are more likely to come back to bite these innocent buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas