Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 01:01 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,591,206 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife just moved out of DFW to Tennessee. One of the main reasons was the overcrowded roadways and congestion everywhere in Friso and Plano. Nice, clean cities, but traffic seemed to be getting worse on a monthly basis instead of a yearly basis like the first 2 years I was there.

I would agree with looking into Colleyville or Valley Ranch. Southlake might be an okay option, but they are overpriced IMO. The PGBT was not all that bad heading west when the extension opened up, but the traffic levels were increasing quickly as more people started using that route and I would guess that it will continue to slow down until it resembles DNT, may take a few months or even a year or so, but it will reach stop and go status eventually. The best bet is to limit distance being driven if you want a nice commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 03:09 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,391,966 times
I tend to think that Southlake may be reaching a point where it is overpriced.

Sorry, I know it's nice, but this is still Texas, not California.

Also, I'm not sure where the stats come from with regards to Plano schools going downhill, but I think if you look at the schools west of Coit, you'll see that they are consistently superior across the board. Frisco has good schools as well, but not across the board either....some of the areas in far east Frisco have average schools at best.

I also hear the argument about new homes vs. resales and how new homes have automated price increases built in.

If we were talking Frisco circa 2005, I'd agree with you. However, Frisco has now caught up with the better parts of Plano and I personally know of three nice communities there that have NOT had any price increases through the last 2 phases. I still tend to think that Frisco was priced for the Tollway extension to main last Spring. There will be some increase still in Frisco, but I can't see another 100% like they saw over the past 4-5 years. Then, if you look North to Prosper, it is also priced high now in anticipation of Frisco being finished off.

There is simply way too much inventory in Frisco. You also run the risk of say building a plan custom, then having one of the builder's spec homes go for 10% under what you paid. I know how agressive they are on the spec homes and it's scary. If you can find a home that someone built, but never took possesion of, you can easily get it for 15% under what they planned to pay.

Again, there is so much 'pants dropping' with the new homes that they scare me a bit.

However, if you pick the right home, and everything fits into place. You can make money on new homes in desirable areas. Especially now. The Realtors in those new homes are all over you during the winter months. Once Spring comes, prices will drift back up.

As for resales, if you pick a nice established area and know what the homes go for in the area, you can still find a deal and make money.

I like areas like Plano because it is a good rental market. I don't see Frisco being a rental market because the commute is so abusive. People who rent want to be close to work, good schools and mature shopping. That's Plano. Frisco is a better long term investor market - say a couple getting ready to have a few kids that are looking to stay in one spot 7-10 years. Just drive around Frisco and look at all the for rent signs you see. Those are flippers from CA thinking they will buy and rent out to cover the mortgage......but then they find out nobody wants to pay $2500 a month to rent in Frisco.

I'm still not sure what the right thing is to do for someone that only plans to live here a few years. What kills me is that rents are actually high here compared to the home values, so renting doesn't make sense in most cases....but buying means that you may not make enough in a few years to cover the Realtor costs. So do you rent the place out ?

It's a complex market.

Again, here in TX, all the power resides in the hands of the buyer because there is just so much to choose from...however, once you have the house....

Last edited by socketz; 12-29-2006 at 03:20 PM..

Old 11-11-2012, 05:48 PM

5 posts, read 7,987 times
I work in Plano, I want to move to Frisco. I'm new from MD...are you saying no to this?

Old 11-11-2012, 06:28 PM

186 posts, read 444,010 times
This is a VERY old thread. You have several choices depending on your lifestyle. If you want good schools, proximity to down town and airport than buy in West Plano. If you want bigger lots then go to Prosper or Lucas. If you want newer/cheaper housing then go to Frisco or Allen. If you often visit Oklahoma then go with McKinney. Frisco is a fine place but schooling, commute & resale aren't good so your choice. Do your homework before you decide.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:52 PM

11 posts, read 10,867 times
Hi,
we are planning to buy house next year. Below are the requirements. Please suggest a suitable location out of irving, plano, frisco and allen.
1) I prefer lively area where all facilities are easily accessible like groceries, restuarants, stores, etc.
2) School district should be good
3) Area should be safe
4) Commute should be easy (nearby dart stations)
5) Budget around $300K
Appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:47 AM

371 posts, read 550,124 times
Where is your work location (and that of your significant other if applicable)? That is critical in determining where you live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikisan View Post
Hi,
we are planning to buy house next year. Below are the requirements. Please suggest a suitable location out of irving, plano, frisco and allen.
1) I prefer lively area where all facilities are easily accessible like groceries, restuarants, stores, etc.
3) Area should be safe
5) Budget around $300K

Old 09-22-2016, 08:29 AM

8,097 posts, read 8,231,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikisan View Post
Hi,
3) Area should be safe
5) Budget around $300K
Please start a new post, and don't piggyback onto a post from 2006. Many will respond to the original post (OP). So many contributers to the forum simply read the original question and never care about other comments, so will not notice yours. Also indicate where income earners in your household will be commuting to.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:49 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,122,776 times
@Vikisan You can't go wrong with either. I would keep Plano on top for location, schools and resale, Frisco second, Allen 3rd and Irving 4th choice.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:50 PM

35 posts, read 30,566 times
Hello... I'm glad u came to this forum fr help . Well I'm new too. Same thing ,husband works at Irving las colinas . We had Frisco new homes in mind . Went 2-3times ,realized that's not goin to work fr us. That two times of visit itself made us feel like forever in the traffic .
Irving valley ranch is good. V saw few townhomes too in the same budget. We didn't wanted anything higher than 250-275k. But In Irving the HOAS are unbelievable.. so we wer not very sure .. finally after a two month search and 15homes ... we finally found one in Carrolton fr 250k. If u check ,I've been asking so many qs on the forum too.
12.8miles from Carrolton home to hubbys work looked fine . . So I'm glad everything worked . We r still in the process of gettin the house inspection tho. Hope it goes well. Fingers crossed
Goodluck to u too. Check the places that are a bit closer . I believe 15 miles & under should be good . Just my opinion

Old 09-22-2016, 07:44 PM

11 posts, read 10,867 times
Thank you all for the quick response. My workplace is downtown Dallas. So, commute is major concern from Plano, frisco and Allen though for the same price we can afford better houses there. Also, another thing that worries me is there are no new constructions coming up in Irving and the resale houses are at least 30years old. Is it advisable to go for so very old houses ? Heard about some foundation concerns too. Please share your thoughts on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: