Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 10:39 PM

25 posts, read 108,570 times

Advertisements

Hi
We are looking to buy a house. The only problem we are facing is WHERE!!
Now here's the thing: Hubby works in the Irving/Valley Ranch area.
We'd liked the new community that's coming up in Irving by Grand Home builders. (That community had Coppell ISD.) But from what i have read here, they should be avoided.
The other option that we checked into was Frisco (Pather Creek area). Liked it, but not too sure about the school. It's a new school so cannot get any data to go by. And not to mention the hour long commute to get to Frisco.
And finally there's Plano. Where we'd have to buy an older home. (we would like to buy a new home preferably.....yes a cookie cutter, we wouldn't mind!!)
And not to forget.....the price range...would like to stay around the 280s for a new home.
The other important factor is the resale value of a home.....where do you think a house would appreciate more, in Irving, Frisco or Plano?
Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.
If you were to work in Irving where would you go to buy a house for around 250K-280K, with a very good school district and not too much of a commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 09:03 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,128,064 times
The commute from Plano to Irving isn't going to be pretty anyway you cut it. The Tollway and 75 are a nightmare in the morning, and surface streets may not be much better at that distance. There is the George Bush Turnpike (toll road) that runs from Plano over to Irving. I don't know what it's like in the mornings, but there isn't much traffic either way in the evening between the DNT and 183.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:43 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,395,301 times
I agree, you should stay over near where your hubby works. Coppell is nice (I've heard), but that may still be too far.

What about nice areas in Irving....can anyone comment ?

Old 12-18-2006, 10:24 PM

25 posts, read 108,570 times
The down side of Coppell from what i have heard very recently is the talk about the North Lake development that's going to come up there. It's going to impact the Coppell ISD as well as the Irving ISD (which anyways is not too great). So will have to do some research about that one.
From investor's point of view, Frisco looks most promising, if you can hang onto your sanity sitting in traffic!
Thanks for your responses.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:26 PM

10 posts, read 48,572 times
Hackberry Creek in Irving, if you want a short commute. Nothing wrong with Valley Ranch either though.

Southlake or Trophy Club if you don't mind a moderate commute. Timarron is a nice community.

Flower Mound is very safe, lots to choose from. Better commute than Frisco.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:13 AM

4 posts, read 28,448 times
Default Commute Times

If you move to Frisco, you would spend your entire life sitting in traffic. I do not know about school systems but my husband works at DFW Airport and commutes from SOUTH Plano daily on the President Geo Bush Tollroad. WE live very close to the tollroad, if you go further North, it will take you a lot longer to get to the Tollroad. We spend about $60. on toll fees monthly but it only takes him 30-40 minutes at the worst traffic times. Hope this helps.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:07 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,128,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmember View Post
If you move to Frisco, you would spend your entire life sitting in traffic. I do not know about school systems but my husband works at DFW Airport and commutes from SOUTH Plano daily on the President Geo Bush Tollroad. WE live very close to the tollroad, if you go further North, it will take you a lot longer to get to the Tollroad. We spend about $60. on toll fees monthly but it only takes him 30-40 minutes at the worst traffic times. Hope this helps.
Just out of curiosity, how bad is the PGBT west of the DNT in the mornings?

Last edited by GoPadge; 12-19-2006 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: spellcheck...

Old 12-19-2006, 08:47 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,395,301 times
I'll say this again....the best thing to do is come out here and rent a nice little apartment for a few months and explore all the areas. This way you can check traffic patterns, find shopping, explore building trends/patterns, monitor listings, experience the whole east vs. west thing, find an area where you feel good, etc.....people may think I'm over thinking all this, but a relocation is HUGE and should not be taken lightly. I've learned a tremendous amount about the area in a few short months of doing this....

What's sad about Frisco is that it's a really warm, friendly nice place once your there....and it's not that far away, but my goodness the traffic is bad. You seriously sit at light changes on roads like Eldorado for 4x.

Then, because the tollway backs up, every artery north into Frisco after work is a mess....Coit, Preston, Custer...if it goes north, your sitting through a few light changes.

On the weekend, no traffic.....7 minute drive for me.

Friday afternoon going home...pack a lunch, it'll be 45 mins min.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:01 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,731,517 times
We just got back from visiting Dallas. We stayed in a hotel in the Frisco area. There is a road 121 - that is under construction. It runs an east/west loop around the northern part of Dallas. It is a bear! We drove back from the Irving area Tuesday night, around 5:30/6 pm using 121 from I 35. It was moving when you were driving on the new parts (no lights) but it dumped out in the Lewisville area onto a frontage road. It was stop and go for quite a few miles. Until the road is finished all the way through, I can imagine it's quite a pita. I'm sure there are other ways to commute from Frisco to Irving, but thought I would give you perspective on this particular road.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:02 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,700,044 times
LOL!!! Hwy 121 used to be a two lane blacktop from the outskirts of Lewisville all the way to McKinney. Well, it was south of McKinney then. Frisco was WAY OUT in THE COUNTRY!!! I mean WAY OUT THERE. My have things changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: