U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 06:59 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,576,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestions. I will take a look. So could one live in Las Colinas and send kids to Coppel SD? Just asking out of curiosity.
No, but you could live in (the right part) of Valley Ranch and send your kids to Coppell ISD. You definitely have to be in the district boundaries to attend. Open enrollment is a possibility in a handful of other areas (not Las Colinas), but it isn't something I would count on long term.

I think this poster was suggesting that you could eventually move to Coppell if you settled in the Las Colinas area and not uproot your life too much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 07:33 AM

10,341 posts, read 22,006,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Thank you for your suggestions. I will take a look. So could one live in Las Colinas and send kids to Coppel SD? Just asking out of curiosity.

Is it similar to let say NY where school districts are assigned based on your address and you can't send your kids to out of district for regular school time.
School districts in Texas are Independent (ISDs), which means they do not follow city boundaries. Las Colinas has three school districts within the area: Irving, Coppell, and Carrollton-Farmers Branch. Always verify which ISD serves the home or apartment you're considering.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:00 AM

6,566 posts, read 5,395,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
School districts in Texas are Independent (ISDs), which means they do not follow city boundaries. Las Colinas has three school districts within the area: Irving, Coppell, and Carrollton-Farmers Branch. Always verify which ISD serves the home or apartment you're considering.
This ^^^. I have lived and owned properties in the DFW area since 1978. I think the Carrollton/Hebron area (served by Herbon High School), Castle Hills (served by Lewisville schools) and the Las Colinas/Valley Ranch area (both Coppell and Carrollton/FB attendance zones) are highly desirable for proximity to IT hubs and have decent schools. Add in your profession in the medical field; Las Colinas area tips the scales for you.

The North Irving area in Valley Ranch is generally served by Coppell Schools if the house is on the west side of McArthur Ave. The Carrollton-Farmers Branch school district that serves zip code 75039 also has highly rated schools, and the schools in that district serving 75063 are becoming better. The Valley Ranch section is on the north side of major Hwy #635, so traffic/commute can be much worse than living in Las Colinas (zips 75039 and 75038).

Old 04-09-2019, 10:26 AM

66 posts, read 32,289 times
Try Oklahoma City or Albuquerque.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:40 PM

621 posts, read 1,731,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post

Is it similar to let say NY where school districts are assigned based on your address and you can't send your kids to out of district for regular school time.
OP, can I ask you a few questions? DFW is pretty wide and diverse, and different communities offer different things:

1) What do you hope to get out of your move? What kind of house do you want to live in? How big of a house do you want? What kind of budget do you have?

2) You mention you're second generation desi - what kind? Any specific religion (Hindu/Muslim/Ismail/Christian?) or state/country (Punjabi, Gujurat, Hyderbadi, etc.?) How big of a role is your cultural identity in your life? Would you rather your daughters take Indian dance classes or soccer classes?

3) Every parent says schools matter - but how much do they matter to you, really? Do you want your kids to have the best shot at attending Ivy League schools (and are willing to have them pull all-nighters, take enrichment courses, SAT prep classes, etc.)? Or do you want them to have a more laid back school experience?

Sorry if I'm being invasive, but if you answer these questions, we'll be in much better shape to guide you.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:47 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,167,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygenericemail View Post
Try Oklahoma City or Albuquerque.
Those aren't exactly known for having strong Asian Indian communities. He meant Indian from India, not Native American.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:49 PM

416 posts, read 223,220 times
Thank you so much for your help, I replied to you on PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
OP, can I ask you a few questions? DFW is pretty wide and diverse, and different communities offer different things:

1) What do you hope to get out of your move? What kind of house do you want to live in? How big of a house do you want? What kind of budget do you have?

2) You mention you're second generation desi - what kind? Any specific religion (Hindu/Muslim/Ismail/Christian?) or state/country (Punjabi, Gujurat, Hyderbadi, etc.?) How big of a role is your cultural identity in your life? Would you rather your daughters take Indian dance classes or soccer classes?

3) Every parent says schools matter - but how much do they matter to you, really? Do you want your kids to have the best shot at attending Ivy League schools (and are willing to have them pull all-nighters, take enrichment courses, SAT prep classes, etc.)? Or do you want them to have a more laid back school experience?

Sorry if I'm being invasive, but if you answer these questions, we'll be in much better shape to guide you.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:50 PM

I was wondering why those cities but now I get it !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Those aren't exactly known for having strong Asian Indian communities. He meant Indian from India, not Native American.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:11 PM

Have heard good things about Plano and Frisco areas. It appears that the schools are assigned based on the zip codes and not necessarily city boundaries so what are the zip codes in Dallas Suburbs with the best school ratings? Will be renting in the beginning so not looking to buy a house at first.

Have been looking online on the school ratings and which areas would give us all 9 or 10 ratings for Primary, Middle and High schools. It looks like Southlake has one of the best schools.

I would appreciate your help in narrowing down the most desirable zip codes in terms of school ratings in Plano, Frisco and closeby suburbs. Thank you for your feedback!

Old 05-14-2019, 06:52 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,576,650 times
Again, I'd totally focus on getting the job first. You'll want to be within a decent commute--you can find excellent schools within a decent commute of any part of Dallas, but if one of you lands a job in Ft. Worth and you live in Frisco, you're gonna hate life. (And consider if there will be call requirements--does your spouse have to be within 30 minutes of the job?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or