U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 11:59 AM

39 posts, read 14,196 times

Advertisements

Okay, here's the deal.

I've lived in California for several years and I'm absolutely fed up with the government here. You might as well call this place Venezuela 2.0.

I'm a right-leaning libertarian man in his 30s (straight). I'm single/no kids, so y'all shouldn't worry about my political views. I voted for trump and pretty much vote NO on any tax increase. but of course, people in this state don't have the same mentality, hence whey it's crap now.

I have recently put my place on the market here in California and I'm expected to get back about 300k in cash. this would be a good time to move to TX. I was thinking either Austin or Dallas. It seems like Dallas is cheaper.

I work in technology and make low six figures at the moment. I'm hoping to find a job that pays as much. Based on what I'm seeing online, it seems like they are paying roughly the same as here (maybe slightly less).

what areas of Dallas would you recommend I look at? Are jobs scattered all over the place there or are there pockets of tech jobs? I live in a dense area right now but wouldn't mind easing it off a bit (but just a bit). not a full blown suburb that requires me to travel 20 miles to get anywhere. I would rather live closer to work (as long as the work location isn't a dangerous area).

if I move, I'm looking to buy property around the 500-600k mark. Any tips for me???

Thank you all.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:03 PM

9,640 posts, read 4,545,718 times
We don't hate Californians who move here and at least adapt to Texas, if not becoming a Texan. We hate Californians who move here and try to make Texas become California.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:07 PM

972 posts, read 1,962,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBound19 View Post
Okay, here's the deal.

I've lived in California for several years and I'm absolutely fed up with the government here. You might as well call this place Venezuela 2.0.

I'm a right-leaning libertarian man in his 30s (straight). I'm single/no kids, so y'all shouldn't worry about my political views. I voted for trump and pretty much vote NO on any tax increase. but of course, people in this state don't have the same mentality, hence whey it's crap now.

I have recently put my place on the market here in California and I'm expected to get back about 300k in cash. this would be a good time to move to TX. I was thinking either Austin or Dallas. It seems like Dallas is cheaper.

I work in technology and make low six figures at the moment. I'm hoping to find a job that pays as much. Based on what I'm seeing online, it seems like they are paying roughly the same as here (maybe slightly less).

what areas of Dallas would you recommend I look at? Are jobs scattered all over the place there or are there pockets of tech jobs? I live in a dense area right now but wouldn't mind easing it off a bit (but just a bit). not a full blown suburb that requires me to travel 20 miles to get anywhere. I would rather live closer to work (as long as the work location isn't a dangerous area).

if I move, I'm looking to buy property around the 500-600k mark. Any tips for me???

Thank you all.
With all due respect, you brought up politics, not us. Dallas is blue, so....you might also get "fed up" out there.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:13 PM

547 posts, read 153,080 times
Hi Texas Bound! Can you and I just trade houses and call it a day? I'd rather be in Cali- ha ha.

Anyway, you and I could not be more opposite of each other by your description. That said, bear in mind that Dallas County, and now most of Collin County (I think) are solidly "blue". Where I live- east Richardson- is extremely diverse socio-economically, in every possible way- think west LA, Santa Monica- nice, surrounded by not-so-nice, and every language you can fathom while in line at the grocery store. I am thinking perhaps not your cup of tea (?)

Go north, and/or northwest into Allen, Frisco, West Plano, and this might be more of what you are looking for- more conservative, slightly less diversity (though, like Cali, Texas is a majority minority state).

I don't think many people actually "support" in the truest sense of the word President It (I will not say It's name), but yes, there are some! And many many many old-school, Reagan-ish republicans, so you will be much happier here (I, on the other hand, am the big weirdo around here- ha ha).

Tech jobs will be all over- Las Colinas, Richardson, Frisco- just have to figure out where you want to work. In that field, with our job market, you'll have something on the first day!

Good luck and welcome

Old 04-02-2019, 12:14 PM

547 posts, read 153,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
We don't hate Californians who move here and at least adapt to Texas, if not becoming a Texan. We hate Californians who move here and try to make Texas become California.
Not me.

Just saying, not everyone feels that way.
Go Cali!!

Old 04-02-2019, 12:22 PM

243 posts, read 78,312 times
Why Texas? There a million other places to live in! Just stay away from Houston

Old 04-02-2019, 12:38 PM

11,953 posts, read 22,258,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
With all due respect, you brought up politics, not us. Dallas is blue, so....you might also get "fed up" out there.
Exactly. At least half the posters on this forum are Democrats or anti-Trump (former) Republicans.

OP has no clue that Texasí cities vote completely opposite of the outer burbs and small towns. OP, if you want to surround yourself with like minded people, try any tiny town in Texas or Collin County if you want to be in the DFW area. Iím sure Austin has some red suburbs but itís solid blue as well.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:55 PM

3,940 posts, read 4,034,893 times
I think you will be surprised by the amount of property tax you will pay, and that yes you pay more in CA but you also get a little bit more. That being said, there are tons of places you could buy a great place for $600k in the DFW area. Can you be more specific about what you are interested in? The 'technology jobs' are in many different cities and there are differences in amenities.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:56 PM

9,823 posts, read 20,501,205 times
Look towards Tarrant County (Fort Worth and suburbs) which is a little less blue than Dallas. In 2016, it stayed red, although it did go slightly blue in the 2018 senate race. All of the other major metro areas in Texas, including Dallas, are blue. If you want a super conservative state, honestly, look at Oklahoma.

The highest concentration of IT jobs will be in the Las Colinas area of Irving, Plano/Collin County, but there are a few all over the area. Since you say that you are single and don't have children, I would personally avoid Collin County since most of that area is family central. Additionally, many IT jobs allow you to work remotely, so living in a more rural area may be a possibility for you.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:01 PM

8,309 posts, read 9,063,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Sure. But Dallas isn't blue passing through indigo and trending toward ultraviolet like LA, SF, SD, SJ, Oakland etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas