Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 08:20 AM

25 posts, read 23,376 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the insight. It looks like some deeper research is in order on our part. Due to our timeline we were prepared to let our son finish this year out and if need be an extra year at Hexter since we knew we would be applying to schools late. I personally have no issue with a Catholic school as I’m a product of Catholic schools. However, my wife has personally not had good experiences with them so i’m willing to keep the peace on that point. Ultimately, the best education and fit for our son is the goal.

In regards to Hexter we have not been there long enough to foster an honest opinion. Everyone we’ve met has been nice. What we liked about our previous private school was the very early focus on programming, robotics, and entrepreneurship. The school had a student run coffee shop that all grade levels had a hand in running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 08:22 AM

446 posts, read 1,005,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75214Dad View Post
I bet you've never set foot on any of these campuses. I have, and I know people that attended all of them. The kids with a Hexter background have far better college matriculation and life outcomes. Plain and simple.
You would lose that bet my friend.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:28 AM

446 posts, read 1,005,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
Might I recommend St. John’s? I know you said no faith based, but they accept students of all faith backgrounds & you mentioned academically rigorous. The only academically rigorous schools in that part of town are Catholic or Episcopalian. Otherwise, you will need to drive outside that part of town for what I’d consider an “excellent” private.
We sent ours to SJES, it's a great school. The ties with the church are real, though...it depends on how agnostic you want your kid's experience to be. They don't take religion most years...in the lower school they do a kind of ethical/moral class that has a religious component a couple if days a week but that was all over by middle school. The kids do go to chapel every day though and the clergy are active in the school. It's actually pretty sweet and lovely IMO.

ETA - The Catholic schools seem to have a stronger religious component to the kid's experience. Full mass weekly and religion class every year. "Health" class in middle school is in keeping with the church's weirdness regarding sex.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:31 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,161 times
Look at Lakehill first - it's close to what you want and it is generally easier to get in than others . . so there is potential for the 2019-2020 school year. If it doesn't fit the bill you can start the same grind that everyone else goes thru ...

Old 04-06-2019, 10:10 AM

245 posts, read 254,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Samples of 1 or 2 are often misleading.
True, but 40 years worth are not

Old 04-06-2019, 10:14 AM

245 posts, read 254,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostinspace78 View Post
Thanks for all the insight. It looks like some deeper research is in order on our part. Due to our timeline we were prepared to let our son finish this year out and if need be an extra year at Hexter since we knew we would be applying to schools late. I personally have no issue with a Catholic school as I’m a product of Catholic schools. However, my wife has personally not had good experiences with them so i’m willing to keep the peace on that point. Ultimately, the best education and fit for our son is the goal.

In regards to Hexter we have not been there long enough to foster an honest opinion. Everyone we’ve met has been nice. What we liked about our previous private school was the very early focus on programming, robotics, and entrepreneurship. The school had a student run coffee shop that all grade levels had a hand in running.
The only progressive minded independent school in Dallas worth the tuition is Greenhill, everything else is a waste of money. But hey, it's your money!

Old 04-06-2019, 11:43 PM

39 posts, read 112,481 times
For your area, I would strongly recommend St. John's. Its Episcopalian, and very inclusive. Also a very nurturing school. As long as a school does not strongly impose a religion, I would consider it as an option.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:32 AM

24 posts, read 43,325 times
I am not sure if you would consider this an option, but I would recommend taking a look at the magnet schools within the Dallas ISD public school system, as well, to start your child for the 20/21 school year.
My youngest son is currently at Travis Talented and Gifted Vanguard and Academy which is located in Uptown. It is for grades 4-8 and involves a lot of project based learning. They start stronger tech courses in 7th grade and additional electives include math and science competition team.
My older son, who attended Hexter for kindergarten, is currently at Dealey Montessori Vanguard and International Academy which is located in North Dallas, close to Preston Hollow. It is for PK-8. He started in 1st grade (my younger son attended here as well for 1-3 until his teacher recommended he apply for Travis to begin 4th). This is my older son's last year at Dealey, and he was accepted to the Talented and Gifted Magnet High School at Townview for next year, along with many, many of his classmates. You can find information about the TAG High School online, it is consistently ranked one of the top public high schools in the country by US News and World Reports, and probably other sources as well.
There are also a few other magnet schools that start in either elementary or middle school, like Spence and Harry Stone. I don't have personal experience there to actually recommend, except my older son shadowed at Spence for a day as a consideration for middle school, but after his shadowing day, he did not want to apply there.
FYI the district provides transportation to and from school from your local elementary, middle, or high school. The only inconvenience for us is during parent teacher meetings or performances when we have to travel to the schools. But we are sort of located between these two magnets, as I assume you are as well since your child attends Hexter. Really, the inconvenience wouldn't be as bad if they weren't each at a different one that are in opposite directions from where we live.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:05 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75214Dad View Post
The only progressive minded independent school in Dallas worth the tuition is Greenhill, everything else is a waste of money. But hey, it's your money!
Like several other statements you have made in this thread, not true in the slightest.

You don’t have 40 years worth of data, or even anecdotes, comparing outcomes at Hexter against these schools. This is just more of your virtue signaling.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:26 PM

47 posts, read 54,817 times
Definitely check out Lakehill. It should fit your requirements and would not be too far if your child is currently at Hexter. The families I know at St. John's really love it and many of our neighbors have kids who attend St. John's - families who desired the church component but most who wanted some of things that the publics just can't offer (smaller class sizes, more student leadership opportunities, a less test-driven curriculum). Also, I wouldn't rule out Hexter through elementary. We also have friends who drive to the more elite privates from East Dallas, but it's a pain and typically requires a parent that stays at home or an after-school nanny/sitter. Also to keep in mind, after school activities will be tied to the school, so if you do decide to apply to the elites (and get in) you may want to move that direction if it wouldn't make for a lousy job commute. Best of luck and hope you find the right fit for your family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: