Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 10:41 AM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
What kind of job opportunities in Tennessee? Take a look at Nashville, it is booming like Dallas and Houston in their heyday.I know of no other place which has all these, scenic rolling large hills, great jobs and growing rapidly in the IT area, low cost of living and nice friendly people.

It is the current mecca for my money.
Nashville is great (would choose it over Dallas any day if I had the option), but the COL in Nashville metro is very similar to DFW (I think median home price is almost exactly the same now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 11:04 AM

525 posts, read 718,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Nashville is great (would choose it over Dallas any day if I had the option), but the COL in Nashville metro is very similar to DFW (I think median home price is almost exactly the same now).
After living in both states, I agree that Tennessee is a truly beautiful state but many of us find Texas to be more interesting overall. There are always events happening everywhere and all big cities are within 4 hours if we want something different. There is also Texas Gulf Coast if you know where good clean beaches are.

I also find Texans friendlier as more open to invite people into their social life. Yes, Tennesseans are friendly too but very clannish. It is harder to break into the social circles.

Both are great places to live so you can't go wrong with either one.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:05 AM

206 posts, read 170,675 times
Most of us Americans don’t live in the nicest city in the country. Most of us live where we grew up.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:44 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd225 View Post
Most of us Americans don’t live in the nicest city in the country. Most of us live where we grew up.
While that may be true for the majority, things have changed a lot. Last I saw, Dallas was almost 50% (if not more by now) transplants. Furthermore, like me, most of my friends in the last few places I have lived were not from the city we were all living in. I feel people move a lot more frequently for various reasons these days than the previous generation: family, jobs, cost of living, simply to experience different things.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
While that may be true for the majority, things have changed a lot. Last I saw, Dallas was almost 50% (if not more by now) transplants. Furthermore, like me, most of my friends in the last few places I have lived were not from the city we were all living in. I feel people move a lot more frequently for various reasons these days than the previous generation: family, jobs, cost of living, simply to experience different things.
I suppose it depends on what we call a transplant. Is someone who is raised in Lindale and moves to Dallas a transplant?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...up-family.html

Old 04-12-2019, 12:10 PM

724 posts, read 529,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd225 View Post
Decriminalized marijuana is one thing, but are Texans really ready for legalized recreational marijuana? That’s a hard one for me to wrap my mind around.
Why? What makes it hard to grasp?

Do you have a hard time grasping bars, restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores, pharmacies?

Old 04-12-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Why? What makes it hard to grasp?

Do you have a hard time grasping bars, restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores, pharmacies?
I don’t know what you mean by that last question, but I’ll answer the first. A large portion of the voters and people in power in Texas lean to the conservative and religious side. Those are not the personalities that I associate with the looser and more progressive thinking that goes on elsewhere. Your reaction seems like overkill for what I said. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Old 04-12-2019, 12:40 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
The cost of living in Williamson Country and Nashville proper may be similar to the good parts of DFW but there are great suburbs where it is lower. Do not dismiss it out of hand as you are doing. I think it is a better option then DFW if someone has options of both location's due to retirement like me.

Do not underestimate Nashville. They have more than IT, Google is locating 5k jobs there of an avg $150 k avg salary for Amazon with a medical focused new initiative. An alliance Bernstein investment firm from NYC has moving there HQ there.. 1k jobs average pay 15% higher than amazon. They are the best new job city I know

Last edited by Johnhw2; 04-12-2019 at 01:19 PM..

Old 04-12-2019, 02:27 PM

104 posts, read 90,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4shionablecha0s View Post
It drives me crazy when people start saying "as a homeowner" when talking about the property tax. Renters pay property tax. It's imputed into their rent. There is no difference between homeowners and renters in this regard.
There is one flaw in your assumption. Trickle down economics has proven itself to be ineffective. Unlikely landlords would pass on savings to renters, and even if they did (to be competitive), it would take forever to play out.

Also, I would greatly benefit from reduced property taxes. I am still against it. We need to stop systematically reducing taxes on the well off and recouping from the poor, that is insane.

Last edited by cityfolk89; 04-12-2019 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-12-2019, 02:33 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
Quote:
TN is beautiful. We may end up out there next summer, but not Nashville. Too much like DFW for our tastes (though definitely prettier). We find Memphis gross, but Knoxville and Chattanooga are awesome--definitely not as many jobs in those places though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas