Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 02:09 PM

724 posts, read 524,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
What other major metro area could I go where taxes are not as high?
Nashville, TN - not as big for sure, but some low rates and true $$. Absolutely abysmal services (roads/emergency/schools) though.

Phoenix, AZ - similar size, amenities are a maybe, otherwise a hellhole.

Miami, FL - If you don't mind mass psychosis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 02:19 PM

964 posts, read 870,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Nashville, TN - not as big for sure, but some low rates and true $$. Absolutely abysmal services (roads/emergency/schools) though.

Phoenix, AZ - similar size, amenities are a maybe, otherwise a hellhole.

Miami, FL - If you don't mind mass psychosis.
Nashville is 1/4 the size. Not close to a major metro area.

Phoenix is close but yeah those 115+ summer days kill that for me, but that is definitely an alternative.

Miami is about the same costs in taxes so definitely not cheaper.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:18 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,922,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Grapevine 2.14%
I show 2.2805. Tarrant and Dallas counties have hospital districts which causes us to pay slightly more plus our community colleges.

Denton County has none. Lewisville for example is 2.069%. Denton County is about the cheapest. No Community College District. No County Hospital District.

Their poor folk go to your or our hospitals for free service.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:21 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,922,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Somewhere outside Texas!

Seriously. Property taxes are crazy all over the state, and they are worse in the big cities.
I just looked at Abilene. They are actually higher at 2.66% but the houses are probably 30-50% cheaper which is true for many of these towns.

Bottom line is they do pay less with a higher rate.

It's kind of like people in CA bragging about a cheaper property tax rate. Yeah but your houses are 2-3 times the cost of ours.

Old 04-19-2019, 04:27 PM

44 posts, read 43,432 times
Nevada - all that gambling revenue allows them to have no state income tax, lower sales tax, and lower property taxes.

Old 04-19-2019, 04:34 PM

206 posts, read 168,636 times
Based on a previous thread, OP is moving to be closer to children in Richardson, Texas.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:35 PM

724 posts, read 524,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Nashville is 1/4 the size. Not close to a major metro area.

Phoenix is close but yeah those 115+ summer days kill that for me, but that is definitely an alternative.

Miami is about the same costs in taxes so definitely not cheaper.
Miami is a bit less expensive, TBH. But most of the properties are condo/urban/****boxes so it's a tough comparison.

Nashville, you have to look at DMA, which would include Franklin - likely the best comparison to your WASP nest there in Southlake

Old 04-19-2019, 06:32 PM

134 posts, read 137,845 times
Don't focus as much on city tax because they are all pretty similar, the bulk of the money goes to county tax, which is frustrating because a lot of counties (Tarrant) it's really hard to see where that money is actually going.

For example, I live in Grapevine and you can see the improvements every year, plus the city is pretty transparent on where the money is going. Tarrant county on the other hand, not so much and not so nice.

Instead, try to focus (if you can find it the info) on how much the county raises their evaluations every year.

On nextdoor, a lot of the people in my surrounding area have been posting the % of appraisal increase over the last 5 years by Tarrant county. Just a note, cities have no say on how much your house is appraised.

For me, my value has increased 58% over the last 5 years. Some people who posted were anywhere from 75-112%, which is crazy.

I'm protesting mine. I used TAD.org to pull in all the proposed increases in my subdivision. I'm kind of surrounded by homes built in different decades. Then I used zillow.com to pull in square footage and google maps to see who had pools.

I threw all that in a simple Excel spreadsheet and divided sqft by proposed value. I found out I have the 9th smallest home in my subdivision (no pool), yet Tarrant country has me valued as the 4th most expensive home per sqft? I've been in this home since 2005 and have had to protest 3 other times.

On the contrary, the guy that lives on one of the counter lots has done a lot of remodeling to his home. He is under 65, his home is almost 700 sqft larger than mine, has a pool and again, on the corner so a little bit of a larger yard. His proposed evaluation has his price per sqft almost $50 less than mine? Crazy!

The problem for home owners is the way the counties are allowed to appraise homes. For example, my home was built in 1969 and is just under 1200sqft. In the last 4 years, 3 new subdivisions have popped up within 2 miles of my house and a 4th is currently being built.

All 3 of the new homes started at $450K and new subdivision will start a $550K. According to Tarrant county, those homes + the recent transplants who are overpaying for homes is why my values have increased.

Makes sense except there should be a cap of how much they can raise appraisal.

No one looking to buy a home built in 2019, which custom everything and top of the line appliances, possible pool, and 3000sqft is going to be interest in my home that is way older, smaller and needs those types of upgrades.

And visa versa, no one looking to buy my home (young family starting out, older couple looking to down-size because their kids are grown, etc).

So why are all homes in the area put in the same bucket?

To do upgrades to older homes, one usually needs permits from the city (even for something small like a hot water replacement) so counties will be able to increase the values of older homes based on that.

If someone sells an older home for an inflated price, the county can now use that for the massive evaluation increase.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:47 PM

311 posts, read 363,309 times
Do Denton County residents pay quite a bit more to go to community college in Collin or Dallas county?

Old 04-19-2019, 08:24 PM

206 posts, read 168,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
Do Denton County residents pay quite a bit more to go to community college in Collin or Dallas county?
DCCCD in-district tuition is $59 per credit hour. Out-of-district tuition is $111 per credit hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas