Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 09:31 PM

206 posts, read 170,675 times

Advertisements

Mockingbird is Park Cities on both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 02:15 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
This one sure went way down the rabbit hole didn't it? (Since turf already alluded to Alice in Wonderland)

Anyway, could the "midtown" moniker simply be the name of the builder's development design? Like CityLine? There are several CityLine's around DFW and I am not sure any of them actually are within eyeball of the (big) city's line- I think it is just what s/he decided to name it.
Isn't CityLine on the Richardson/Plano border? I don't know of another one. The Midtown moniker is strange because one is located near Meadow/Greenville/Central/Walnut Hill and involves many different developers with mixed housing and is very well on it's way. The other Midtown is still dealing with the whole Valley View fiasco, yet there are some new modern apartments in that area as well. I've been trying to figure this thing out for a couple of years. I know that Midtown Park signs started going up at the Meadow/Central area soon after they started demolishing apartments in the area, and that was years ago. Then there was the crash and developers pulled out. At least with "Uptown" (which wasn't Uptown when I was growing up in Dallas) it's a general area and people know where it is, even if there might be some disagreement about exact borders for the neighborhood. "Midtown" is confusing since apparently there are two of them and the neighborhoods do not border each other at all.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:21 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd225 View Post
Mockingbird is Park Cities on both sides.
Only between the tollroad and Airline.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:34 AM

206 posts, read 170,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Only between the tollroad and Airline.
North Dallas is between DNT and 75. On Mockingbird, Park Cities fills that.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:41 AM

33 posts, read 32,897 times
Default Please Stay on Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqmercado View Post
So, the Midtown development in Dallas is finally moving forward with the demolition of Valley View Mall. While I am excited this is moving forward, I am concerned about the late start. I keep hearing that we will be having another recession in the next couple of years. Could this hurt the success of Midtown?
All,

Please stay on topic. This discussion was created to talk about how Midtown is moving forward and discuss whether it will be successful. This discussion has turned into an argument about the name.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:53 AM

454 posts, read 763,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, it's a stupid name.

Dallas isn't Manhattan, in case anyone's not clear on that. Trying to grab a little faux-urban-coolness by using names of NYC neighborhoods for cachet is stupid - although, maybe not that stupid, given how fast the millennials have glommed onto "Uptown". There's even a development called "West Village" in "Uptown", which has the minor issue that there's no Greenwich Village or East Village for it to be West of - but who cares! It's marketeering! Words no longer have meanings!

"When I use a word," Humpty Marketeer said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less." "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things." "The question is," said Humpty Marketeer, "which is to be master—that's all."
Ever since I first moved here I noticed that Dallas chooses names from other cities. Lincoln Center, West Village, Uptown, Highland Park, Oak Lawn, etc.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:23 AM

355 posts, read 468,717 times
I honestly don't think Midtown would've been steamrolling the way it is if an economic downturn were to occur. There seems to be a sense of security with construction projects nowadays because of financial certainty and the multiplier effect large-scale projects (such as this) have on the Dallas economy.

With this massive project and the sheer amount of dense infill going on within Loop 12, Dallas will have serious appeal from visitors and residents alike.

Exciting times to be in the Dallas area right now.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
I honestly don't think Midtown would've been steamrolling the way it is if an economic downturn were to occur. There seems to be a sense of security with construction projects nowadays because of financial certainty and the multiplier effect large-scale projects (such as this) have on the Dallas economy.

With this massive project and the sheer amount of dense infill going on within Loop 12, Dallas will have serious appeal from visitors and residents alike.

Exciting times to be in the Dallas area right now.
Steamrolling? I absolutely want Midtown to be successful. The Valley View mess is appalling. Imagine being a first time visitor to Dallas, not familiar with the city and choosing to stay near the Galleria. What would you think as you passed by Valley View, not knowing the back story between the city and Beck? The place has been sitting there for YEARS looking like it has been bombed. I'm embarrassed every time I pass by it.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:42 PM

379 posts, read 366,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Steamrolling? I absolutely want Midtown to be successful. The Valley View mess is appalling. Imagine being a first time visitor to Dallas, not familiar with the city and choosing to stay near the Galleria. What would you think as you passed by Valley View, not knowing the back story between the city and Beck? The place has been sitting there for YEARS looking like it has been bombed. I'm embarrassed every time I pass by it.
As I understand it, the biggest holdup wasn't between the city and Beck. It was Beck's dragging his feet on doing any meaningful demolition, causing the agreement between him and the city to expire. And then the lawsuit between Beck and the owner of the Macy's site also held things up. And then of course the code violations and past due water bills got the city involved again. I'm glad all that's over, but based on what I know about Beck, I'm cautiously optimistic that anything will get done in a timely manner. However, I live nearby so I hope I'm wrong!

Old 05-15-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggielina View Post
As I understand it, the biggest holdup wasn't between the city and Beck. It was Beck's dragging his feet on doing any meaningful demolition, causing the agreement between him and the city to expire. And then the lawsuit between Beck and the owner of the Macy's site also held things up. And then of course the code violations and past due water bills got the city involved again. I'm glad all that's over, but based on what I know about Beck, I'm cautiously optimistic that anything will get done in a timely manner. However, I live nearby so I hope I'm wrong!
I was attempting to be nice and not place blame on any one party. Based on what you know about Beck you're cautiously optimistic that something will get done in a timely manner? Or you're not? I'm confused by your last two sentences. Last couple of times I've passed by Valley View I've noted more of it has come down. Owner (Beck?) still has the traveling carnivals, and currently a circus, setting up in the large parking area bordering LBJ. I suppose renting that area to carnivals and circuses is a good way to raise money. Looks weird though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas