Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 05:30 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I've literally never heard anyone use that, with the exception of a DMN article about 7 years ago that was probably just paid for shilling for Arlington.
The Dallas MSA is called Dallas Ft Worth Arlington. I didn't say that people call it that colloquially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 06:27 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Those may matter to you but I've learned that most buyers don't really care about quality; they want new and shiny around here. Most Indians I know could care less whether their fireplace is real or not. A lot of people don't value large lots like they used to.

The flaw in your logic is right there... most buyers are not Indian, they are a minority, no matter how many of them it may seem are moving here.

A "lot of people" have spoken, and Plano real estate is worth more per sq foot than Frisco, when comparing otherwise similar homes. Just because one ethnic group tends to like new homes doesn't outweigh the overall pool of buyers.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:55 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
When I moved here a decade ago Plano "was" Collin County.

Then it became "Plano and Frisco"

Now it is Frisco and Plano.

Frisco has absolutely surpassed Plano as the poster child for Collin County.
This is what I was trying to say earlier, but I think you said it better.
I think the hangup was using the word ‘decline’ I think that got the Plano boosters up in arms.
Plano is still a thriving city but it can no longer be called the undisputed premier city in Collin County. Plano home values may be higher but it’s not as if Frisco homes are starter home prices, and are steadily rising.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:58 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
The flaw in your logic is right there... most buyers are not Indian, they are a minority, no matter how many of them it may seem are moving here.

A "lot of people" have spoken, and Plano real estate is worth more per sq foot than Frisco, when comparing otherwise similar homes. Just because one ethnic group tends to like new homes doesn't outweigh the overall pool of buyers.
True, for now. But those Indians are one one of the biggest drivers of new home purchases, especially in Collin County. If the admittedly anecdotal stories are true, South Asians are taking over large chunks of Frisco and other nearby suburbs.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:09 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
The trend I spoke of is happening in other areas as well. For example, I've been watching the sale of high-end homes in Fort Worth because we might be moving again next year. The high-end older homes in well respected, established neighborhoods aren't selling as well as homes in the new, trendy neighborhoods. Many of the homes with price drops are gorgeous, old homes with tons of character you can't get in a new build. They're zoned for the top public schools in Fort Worth too. It used to not be this way in Fort Worth. One of the homes I'm eyeing is a gorgeous, restored century-old home located on a bluff overlooking the Trinity. Its price has been reduced at least once.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:16 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,884 times
Quote:
The trend I spoke of is happening in other areas as well. For example, I've been watching the sale of high-end homes in Fort Worth because we might be moving again next year. The high-end older homes in well respected, established neighborhoods aren't selling as well as homes in the new, trendy neighborhoods. Many of the homes with price drops are gorgeous, old homes with tons of character you can't get in a new build. They're zoned for the top public schools in Fort Worth too. It used to not be this way in Fort Worth. One of the homes I'm eyeing is a gorgeous, restored century-old home located on a bluff overlooking the Trinity. Its price has been reduced at least once.
That is a great house/property.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
True, for now. But those Indians are one one of the biggest drivers of new home purchases, especially in Collin County. If the admittedly anecdotal stories are true, South Asians are taking over large chunks of Frisco and other nearby suburbs.

...And you think Plano wasn't desirable to them? I guess you've never heard of Deerfield North. That entire area is now full of Indians, and that happened almost 10 years ago.

To buy into Plano now requires more money than Frisco for a similar home, it is that simple. More people (including Indians) are priced out of Plano, so now they are turning to Frisco, McKinney, etc.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:

That's another faulty comparison. You're comparing a million dollar home to a bunch of new tract housing that is undoubtedly cheaper? And you're wondering why the cheaper homes are selling better?

Give me a break.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:07 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
If the admittedly anecdotal stories are true, South Asians are taking over large chunks of Frisco and other nearby suburbs.
[sarcasm]...and 20 years from now, North Texas will have a Spice problem. Just like meth, strong spices can permeate through the sheetrock, giving off toxic fumes for years. This will affect resale values as young families are concerned about the toxicity from the offensive odors, much like lead and asbestos was a concern in the 1990s and early 2000s. [/sarcasm]

Nice anecdote BTW.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:13 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times
Another obvious problem with Plano is that alot of the Housing is 80s-90s. Now I'm not saying that there won't be a subset of people in the future who find those decades charming, but I really doubt they will ever hold the same charm as prewar tutors or mid modern.

Sure people will live in an older house for good schools, but in Lakewood for example, the actual houses are beloved and raise the value. Most of the housing in Plano is uninspiring at best or ugly at worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas