Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 05:15 PM

20 posts, read 31,391 times

Advertisements

Hi we are looking to buy a newer home in Frisco. We will be changing high schools from Jasper to Frisco. Which high school in Frisco is comparable to Jasper?
What are the pros and cons of moving from Jasper to Frisco ISD?
Would it impact her college admission is anyway?
My kid has no objection and will be starting 10th grade.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 05:35 PM

Also most houses that I like are less than 2 miles from schools so no bus I assume but definitely not walk able.
What are the options available.
Any private transportation services available in that area e.g in Richwoods area

Old 05-11-2019, 08:37 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,270 times
I understand you want an affordable new house but why are you moving now? It would’ve been better to move before 9th grade or later after he graduates. Just because kid isn’t objecting, doesn’t mean it’s guaranteed he won’t have any issues. DFW market is slowing down, you are more likely to get a new Frisco house for less money in a year or two. If you move after 11th grade, he’ll still be allowed to stay for senior year in Plano and can avoid transfer related problems. Sophomore year is not a good year to experiment.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:32 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelofdarkside View Post
Hi we are looking to buy a newer home in Frisco. We will be changing high schools from Jasper to Frisco. Which high school in Frisco is comparable to Jasper?
What are the pros and cons of moving from Jasper to Frisco ISD?
Would it impact her college admission is anyway?
My kid has no objection and will be starting 10th grade.
Thanks
Your rising 10th grader really doesn’t care? Really? I would have gone kicking and screaming away from my friends, athletic teammates, and a school system I knew well by that point. Away from counselors and teachers who can help bolster college applications through strong recommendation letters. No thank you. Especially if the reason my parents wanted to move was for a newer house.

Can’t you sit tight until she’s a senior or in college??

Old 05-11-2019, 09:36 PM

468 posts, read 475,025 times
Students leaving after Freshman year at Jasper has been going on for a while. So far every account I've heard has been a satisfying success story with the desired outcomes. The goal being better chance at college admissions. Although transferring to another PISD school would have been my top choice but it happens.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:16 PM

468 posts, read 475,025 times
They must be asian. Jasper got the asian bell curve in effect. When the class period Bell go off to start the class and you got more than 50% asian kids in yo class, then yo chance of gettin n A get cut in half compared to all other schools. All Jasper teachers and students know this rule exists whether they know about bell curve or not. They also know that it doesn't exist at other schools. So yo A'sscrud up

You could call it the 50/50 rule. If the 50% bell in effect in yo class, no matter how hard you study there's only a 50% chance you'll get an A for that class bc kids be smashing the curves there. So your A'ssdout luck

Last edited by Peter5457; 05-11-2019 at 10:26 PM..

Old 05-12-2019, 12:17 AM

As some of you know, we had just moved to Plano last year. She does not know alot of people in her school anyway and agree with Peter about the insane competitiveness at Jasper that we don't appreciate as a family.
With that being said, I am well aware that moving to Frisco does not change the demographics that much. 90% kids in Richwood are Indians and very studious as well.

I guess I am still thinking about the pros and cons of moving from Jasper to Frisco ISD?

I am still concerned about transportation from those neighborhoods as most houses are less than 2 miles from school.

Unfairpark: do you strongly feel that prices would continue to drop so much in Frisco area?

Also I was looking at the ranking and seems like Liberty and Independence are far better choices than Centennial.
Any thought s on that?

Any other ideas?
Thanks

Old 05-12-2019, 09:19 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelofdarkside View Post
As some of you know, we had just moved to Plano last year. She does not know alot of people in her school anyway and agree with Peter about the insane competitiveness at Jasper that we don't appreciate as a family.
With that being said, I am well aware that moving to Frisco does not change the demographics that much. 90% kids in Richwood are Indians and very studious as well.

I guess I am still thinking about the pros and cons of moving from Jasper to Frisco ISD?

I am still concerned about transportation from those neighborhoods as most houses are less than 2 miles from school.

Unfairpark: do you strongly feel that prices would continue to drop so much in Frisco area?

Also I was looking at the ranking and seems like Liberty and Independence are far better choices than Centennial.
Any thought s on that?

Any other ideas?
Thanks
I do feel it and market supports it but you should look at the trends yourself before deciding either way. If you really want for her to have a relaxed high school experience, move her to John Paul 2, they have some newer homes nearby. Moving to another affluent suburban public school with majority of Asian students isn’t going to help much.

If you want to move to Frisco for new house, don’t worry about schools as if your motive is to avoid competition, you are better off with the newest and least competitive school.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Move into Lone Star's area. GreyHawke is not strongly Indian.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:20 PM

625 posts, read 1,955,679 times
The major red flag I worry about is how her credits will transfer over. PISD is notorious for dinging other ISD's classes - the AP class, for example, in Frisco that might be worth 5 points for HS GPA may transfer over on a 4.0 scale (I realize you're doing a reverse move, but just wanted to give you insight as to what would happen within PISD).

With the way HS's are set up in Frisco, you may not be able to find bus service. There are no private car services - unless you want your kid to take uber everday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: