Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 06:06 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Again View Post
There certainly isn't such a thing as utopia, still I'd take Dallas over Atlanta all day long after my time there. Now that was a prison sentence.
A bunch of my coworkers were brought in from Atlanta. Even the one guy of them that actually likes Atlanta prefers Dallas.

Another good friend of my from college who moved to Atlanta. Hes lived in Florida, Dallas, Spain, Italy and now Atlanta. He absolutely hates Atlanta as well.

Dallas > Atlanta every day of the week and twice on sunday.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:37 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
A lot of people move to Dallas thinking that jobs and money will fall out of the sky. When that doesn't happen, they become angry and disillusioned.
That is one of the consequences of living in an area where one of the primary features of the region is its business atmosphere and job market. If Dallas wasn't known for its job market, not as many people would move here.

Even I have felt like the job market is a little overhyped here. While my career has improved as a result of being here and I'm thankful for the opportunities I've had here, it has been a real battle on the front. I've had to do a lot of interviewing at the times when I've been on the market, and that's never easy. While I never expected the red carpet treatment, there have been times where I have felt that it has been more difficult than a so-called hot job region should be.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:57 PM

406 posts, read 341,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
That is one of the consequences of living in an area where one of the primary features of the region is its business atmosphere and job market. If Dallas wasn't known for its job market, not as many people would move here.

Even I have felt like the job market is a little overhyped here. While my career has improved as a result of being here and I'm thankful for the opportunities I've had here, it has been a real battle on the front. I've had to do a lot of interviewing at the times when I've been on the market, and that's never easy. While I never expected the red carpet treatment, there have been times where I have felt that it has been more difficult than a so-called hot job region should be.
The job market in the Dallas area is definitely overhyped. It is not as easy to find jobs here as most people think.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:31 PM

186 posts, read 158,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysan89 View Post
I agree. Atlanta sucks.
You were directing that to someone else, but some elaboration is in order.

It's not PC to say it, but I will. This thing called reverse racism, which isn't reverse, it's just racism, plain and simple. It thrives there. It's a bad city to be Caucasian, Latino, African, etc. It isn't true of all African American people, but it's so common that it is widely acknowledged. My wife works for Delta, and in the commissary there are two sets of prices. I'm sure you can figure that one out. It's sad that people of all races and cultures tend to be so divided, but that reaction isn't helping anything. I've had trash thrown at me there, we've had all sorts of comments made to us. I've been called names that have their origin in the history of racial hatred. It's no wonder 'other' people keep to places like the fourth ward and the Decatur area.

Atlanta is more expensive than here. Even just the difference in prices at a Kroger there and here is noticeable. Went to take my daughter to the science or natural history museum (forget which now) and it was around 50.00 for me to get in, around 20.00 for her, then the parking was 30.00. I was floored. We left and found something else to do. We ran into other instances of that sort of thing.

People who are native to the area love it. It's rare for my wife or I to talk to someone who lives there as a transplant who has positive feelings. The previous Delta CEO kept a home elsewhere and commuted to work when he had to be there. When he retired, he returned to Texas. This has been the case with many who transplant there.

Anytime someone complains about traffic here (which has become much worse in recent years) I always remind myself that it could be worse. Traffic there was special.

It seems to lack the diversity found in the DFW area. Upon moving back, I was reminded how broad a mix of people from so many different places live here. It's not perfect, but I'll take this particular set of flaws, thank you.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:16 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysan89 View Post
Because it is in the Deep South. It is not much different from Dallas. I've never felt comfortable in southern cities.
That doesn't mean Southern cities suck. There are plenty of things I personally don't like, but objectively I can appreciate why other people might like them. For example, I grew up allergic to seafood. According to my most recent allergy tests though, I'm not allergic anymore. Despite that, I have a visceral dislike of seafood because I was told by doctors for decades that I'd get really sick if I ate it. Although I dislike it and have no desire to eat it, I can appreciate why the rest of my family was excited about eating fresh lobster when we went to Cape Cod and why kids love sushi so much that one of their goals is to go Japan and eat sushi there.

As for ATL, I don't get the hatred of the place. While I have no desire to move there, I have a sister who teaches in Cobb County and she loves the area. She currently lives in Smyrna and if her budget allowed it, she'd live in ATL proper. She grew up in Dallas and lived in Houston FWIW. Other than the nasty summer weather and pollen season, I think it's a lovely place to live. I like all of the trees and the friendliness of the people I've met there. My sister has worked in schools where she was definitely was the minority and she wasn't treated badly by her fellow staff, the students or the parents because she was white.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:34 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post

As for ATL, I don't get the hatred of the place. While I have no desire to move there, I have a sister who teaches in Cobb County and she loves the area. She currently lives in Smyrna and if her budget allowed it, she'd live in ATL proper. She grew up in Dallas and lived in Houston FWIW. Other than the nasty summer weather and pollen season, I think it's a lovely place to live. I like all of the trees and the friendliness of the people I've met there. My sister has worked in schools where she was definitely was the minority and she wasn't treated badly by her fellow staff, the students or the parents because she was white.
You ain't seen snobby til you've lived in Marietta and/or been in the Junior League.

Also the weather is worse there IMO, 3 out of 4 seasons. They do have a nicer Fall, although it is still quite warm.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 06-24-2019 at 10:45 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 11:19 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Again View Post
You were directing that to someone else, but some elaboration is in order.

It's not PC to say it, but I will. This thing called reverse racism, which isn't reverse, it's just racism, plain and simple. It thrives there. It's a bad city to be Caucasian, Latino, African, etc. It isn't true of all African American people, but it's so common that it is widely acknowledged. My wife works for Delta, and in the commissary there are two sets of prices. I'm sure you can figure that one out. It's sad that people of all races and cultures tend to be so divided, but that reaction isn't helping anything. I've had trash thrown at me there, we've had all sorts of comments made to us. I've been called names that have their origin in the history of racial hatred. It's no wonder 'other' people keep to places like the fourth ward and the Decatur area.

Atlanta is more expensive than here. Even just the difference in prices at a Kroger there and here is noticeable. Went to take my daughter to the science or natural history museum (forget which now) and it was around 50.00 for me to get in, around 20.00 for her, then the parking was 30.00. I was floored. We left and found something else to do. We ran into other instances of that sort of thing.

People who are native to the area love it. It's rare for my wife or I to talk to someone who lives there as a transplant who has positive feelings. The previous Delta CEO kept a home elsewhere and commuted to work when he had to be there. When he retired, he returned to Texas. This has been the case with many who transplant there.

Anytime someone complains about traffic here (which has become much worse in recent years) I always remind myself that it could be worse. Traffic there was special.

It seems to lack the diversity found in the DFW area. Upon moving back, I was reminded how broad a mix of people from so many different places live here. It's not perfect, but I'll take this particular set of flaws, thank you.
I’ll just call bull**** on this one. I lived in Atlanta for 2 years and actually loved it. I know of plenty of white transplants that live in Atlanta and like it or even love it. I lived in Chamblee/ Brookhaven area and never saw any racial problems that you speak of. And I’ve been all over the metro, those problems you speak of are exaggerations. Sound like your Wife wasn’t as qualified as you thought she was and now you started screaming racism.

And Atlanta is just as diverse as DFW. Also there’s no science museum in Atlanta charging 30 dollars for parking. Only thing you said that was accurate was the traffic.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:31 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You ain't seen snobby til you've lived in Marietta and/or been in the Junior League.

Also the weather is worse there IMO, 3 out of 4 seasons. They do have a nicer Fall, although it is still quite warm.
Luckily, there's no worry of my sister living in Marietta or joining the Junior League. A friend of mine tried to convince me to join a Junior League. I considered doing it since I enjoy volunteering and my mom was an early member of the Dallas Junior Forum. I changed my mind when I learned that I'd have to sell a minimum number of tickets to an event. I hate selling stuff. It's probably for the best though since I'd rather wear sandals and a sundress from Old Navy than a designer dress and heels. I also have no idea what brand my purse is.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:55 PM

850 posts, read 796,442 times
Just curious for all the posters saying they would take Dallas over Atlanta what are some of the reasons?
Looking for perspective since I was in a Atlanta for a period of time and very interested in Dallas.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:54 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Just curious for all the posters saying they would take Dallas over Atlanta what are some of the reasons?
Looking for perspective since I was in a Atlanta for a period of time and very interested in Dallas.
We lived in Cobb County for 9 years but haven't lived there since 2006, so keep that in mind. However, my impressions are:

--Atlanta combines the worst of small town living (gossipy, narrow minded, judgmental, closed to outsiders) with the worst of the big city (traffic, crowds, traffic).

--Atlanta made me realize I am not and never will be Southern; you have to be born there. You are either "OM" (of Marietta) or you are not. I am married to a Southerner though and he fared a lot better than I did. I just couldn't quite feel at home there. Traditions and food and societal things were different than what I grew up with. Other people seem to do Ok so maybe it's just me.

--The traffic is bad all the time, even on side roads

--The weather. Often summer starts on May 1 and lasts until Christmas. The humidity is terrible.
There isn't any wind in the summer unless a thunderstorm is involved. Fall is nice but very warm still. Before you say that is like DFW, I promise you the lower humidity and the breeze in DFW make a difference.

--Atlanta seemed to have a very large gap between "haves" and "have nots." I'm wondering if DFW is this way as well.

--What I liked: fairly close to proximity to Florida, beaches, and the mountains.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 06-25-2019 at 10:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas