Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 12:33 PM

16 posts, read 27,771 times

Advertisements

Wanted to get input on moving from Arizona to Dallas Texas. Multitude of reasons why I want to move but let’s some it up as a much needed change. I’ve been planing this move for 10 years and now that I’m older I think it’s time . I’m 31 years old, single, no children, masters degree wanting to move to a town similar to Phoenix with cost of living. I’m extra excited about the possibility of being around more African Americans and the dating scene . Can anyone give me their experience on the dating scene in Dallas Texas? This age I’m not too into going to the club although I go here and there, i’m kind of over all of that and ready to settle down and marriage and kids before my eggs expire lol. The dating scene is Arizona is very ughhh. A lot of the men even in there 30’s have nothing together. It’s hard to find someone with triple combo Good job, Car and own place and those are just the basics to start without even going into personalities etc. Hoping Texas will be a good move for me. Seems huge I don’t know what part to move in Dallas . My job would transfer me to 75244 zip code I believe. I heard Addison and farmers branch is a little more upscale. The perfect location for me is a location that has some successful African American middle age men between 30-40 of good quality and also has weekend activities that are not to far whether it’s paint and sit, day drinking places, top golf, etc . Phoenix doesn’t have a lot of entertainment but I’m fine being a home body but can’t meet people at home . What cities or zip codes or areas in Dallas would you recommend ?

Last edited by Ronda86; 05-23-2019 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: Add on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 07:49 PM

989 posts, read 2,428,376 times
I think Addison would be perfect for you.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:34 PM

31 posts, read 45,065 times
There are way more men here than women, so I guess that is a positive.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:46 PM

99 posts, read 131,807 times
People here get married early. We just hired bunch of folks right out of school. I would say 90% of them are planning to get married within a year.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:13 PM

More men then women is always a good thing

Old 05-24-2019, 05:50 AM

5,427 posts, read 4,407,190 times
More men than women is not a good thing. Almost every U.S. city has an excess of single men relative to single women. OP has been living in Phoenix. Both Phoenix and Dallas have excess males in her age cohort.

A larger percentage of the population is African American in Dallas than in Phoenix.

Generally speaking, this is a tough dating scene. As someone who has lived in both Phoenix and Dallas and dated in both cities, they are semi-similar. I think the quality of people is higher in Dallas, but my experiences dating as a white male are quite different than the dating experiences of an African American woman. Moat of my romantic interactions during my time in Dallas have been with white women, with some Hispanic women in there as well.

If you were to work in zip code 75244, Addison is the closest area with any concentration of singles in it. 75244 is within reasonable commuting distance from Uptown and Downtown as well. I would focus more on Uptown or Downtown, which have more singles than Addison. Uptown's nightlife has gotten more African American in the last 4 years or so. Tate's and Clutch in Uptown have a clientele that is highly African American in Uptown the last I knew.

Most African Americans in Dallas live south of downtown, which is south of Interstate 30 in the City of Dallas. Being in Uptown/Downtown will put you closer to the AA population.

Generally speaking, your dating pool will be thin in Dallas, but probably better than what you are dealing with in Phoenix. Moving to Dallas will not solve your dating issues. If you wanted to make a move that had a better probability of solving your dating issues, I would recommend moving to Atlanta instead of Dallas. Atlanta has a much larger African American dating scene than Dallas.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:35 PM

Thank you RJ 312 for the detailed response.I’ve heard Atlanta and Houston are better options but additionally Dallas is five hours away from my family in Kansas which is why it’s also a better move for me. So what ZIP Codes are uptown downtown are you suggesting I look to living over there? Or are you saying that Addison is near uptown downtown? Or are you saying that my work ZIP Code is a good ZIP Code to live in? What about 75287 is that near uptown downtown or Addison? I’ve been advised not to move to South Dallas to stick to the north Dallas is that Because of violence? I’m thinking about the 75287 ZIP Code I’ve seen some nice places there. I wouldn’t be too committed to a ZIP Code I wouldn’t sign more than a six month lease at an apartment as I’m not Too fond of renting so if I find an area that I like and I decide that Texas is for me and I prefer to buy but maybe I can spend the first year trying different areas. It’s so confusing all the different cities but essentially weather it says Addison or farmers branch or Carlton they’re all really dollars is that correct? Sorry for all the questions

Old 05-24-2019, 03:13 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,208,832 times
The the OP. I am an african american male from the Raleigh-Durham area originally. Now living in Dallas and have family in Phoenix. Dallas is much more diverse than Phoenix. My friend group consists of fellow African Americans, Mexican, Dominican, Indian, Pakistani Jordanian, Chinese, Caucasian, Nigerian, Jamaican and others.

To Dallas' benefit the economy here is so strong that a lot of open thinkers and very diverse singles have been drawn to the area with all the corporate locations in recent years and in the AA community there is a strong network of business professionals and various restaurants and bars around. If you need info on some of the hangouts feel free to IM me Addison is the bullseye for the young and single along with uptown/downtown also consider Kessler park, Richardson as well as Irving and Plano.

You should do just fine here. And personally I prefer Dallas (and Houston) to Atlanta. Also, please don't limit your friend group and consider dating someone of a different ethnicity. Two of my new friends are a really cool Indian guy and Caucasian girl and they are the coolest.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:17 PM

647 posts, read 1,417,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronda86 View Post
Wanted to get input on moving from Arizona to Dallas Texas. Multitude of reasons why I want to move but let’s some it up as a much needed change. I’ve been planing this move for 10 years and now that I’m older I think it’s time . I’m 31 years old, single, no children, masters degree wanting to move to a town similar to Phoenix with cost of living. I’m extra excited about the possibility of being around more African Americans and the dating scene . Can anyone give me their experience on the dating scene in Dallas Texas? This age I’m not too into going to the club although I go here and there, i’m kind of over all of that and ready to settle down and marriage and kids before my eggs expire lol. The dating scene is Arizona is very ughhh. A lot of the men even in there 30’s have nothing together. It’s hard to find someone with triple combo Good job, Car and own place and those are just the basics to start without even going into personalities etc. Hoping Texas will be a good move for me. Seems huge I don’t know what part to move in Dallas . My job would transfer me to 75244 zip code I believe. I heard Addison and farmers branch is a little more upscale. The perfect location for me is a location that has some successful African American middle age men between 30-40 of good quality and also has weekend activities that are not to far whether it’s paint and sit, day drinking places, top golf, etc . Phoenix doesn’t have a lot of entertainment but I’m fine being a home body but can’t meet people at home . What cities or zip codes or areas in Dallas would you recommend ?
I’m an African American, 40, educated and have a great job in management. I also own my own home. I would love to meet you!

Old 05-24-2019, 06:47 PM

5,427 posts, read 4,407,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronda86 View Post
Thank you RJ 312 for the detailed response.I’ve heard Atlanta and Houston are better options but additionally Dallas is five hours away from my family in Kansas which is why it’s also a better move for me. So what ZIP Codes are uptown downtown are you suggesting I look to living over there? Or are you saying that Addison is near uptown downtown? Or are you saying that my work ZIP Code is a good ZIP Code to live in? What about 75287 is that near uptown downtown or Addison? I’ve been advised not to move to South Dallas to stick to the north Dallas is that Because of violence? I’m thinking about the 75287 ZIP Code I’ve seen some nice places there. I wouldn’t be too committed to a ZIP Code I wouldn’t sign more than a six month lease at an apartment as I’m not Too fond of renting so if I find an area that I like and I decide that Texas is for me and I prefer to buy but maybe I can spend the first year trying different areas. It’s so confusing all the different cities but essentially weather it says Addison or farmers branch or Carlton they’re all really dollars is that correct? Sorry for all the questions
Zip codes for Uptown and Downtown are 75201, 75202, and 75204.

75287 is a north Dallas zip code, which is close to Addison. It's a fairly nondescript zip code. It's not really considered a hub of singles activity.

Addison, Farmers Branch, and Carrollton are municipalities that are suburbs of Dallas. Only Addison would be considered to have a singles scene, and the Addison singles scene pales in comparison to Dallas neighborhoods that are south of Interstate 635, east of Dallas North Tollways, west of White Rock Lake, and north of Interstate 30. The primary singles scenes in Dallas occur within those parameters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas