Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:32 PM

59 posts, read 54,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Excuse my French but so bleeping what that a person has a crimminal conviction. If the person can do the job and do it well they should be hired regardless. People have the ability to change and evolve you know. The idea here is to get people off the street to live productive lives. We all know that crimminal background checks have been used on many occasions to disqualify the minority candidate. Nobody should have to drive an hour to work and from work to get a decent job.

The same way tax incentives are giving to corporations to relocate or expand, incentives could also be used to offset the added cost of additional security for the facility.

Your grasp on reality is shaky at best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 09:27 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,801,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan07 View Post
Your grasp on reality is shaky at best!
I have a very strong grasp of reality and my way of thinking is far from conventional. I can actually offer possible solution unlike a narrow minded individual like yourself.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:29 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,801,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Look the unfortunate harsh reality is that no private business is going to voluntarily take on much higher security expenses just to be in South Dallas when they can be in Frisco/Plano etc and have to spend practically zero on security expenses. Businesses exist to make money, not for social engineering. Sucks to say but true.

Equally important, I don't know that any private business would be willing to expose their employees to the consequences that come in being in a high crime area (muggings, car jackings or even worse) when they can be in a safe area and not have to worry about the wellbeing of their employees.

A small but pointed example of how bad the situation is in South Dallas. A friend who used to live there came to visit me in Wylie. He parked in front of my house and saw our AC unit which is located outside the house. He said that in South Dallas, AC units have to be fenced in and padlocked otherwise they will get carried off. And that's just s residential AC unit. Imagine businesses with far more expensive equipment that they would now have to worry about. It really makes the decision to go north a no brainer.
It’s easy to critique what I post but what are your solutions to the problem?

Old 06-14-2019, 10:00 AM

29,905 posts, read 18,754,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Dallas View Post
With prices getting up near 400 a sq ft in certain areas and high property taxes. Is this sustainable?

Have been warned by several long time Dallas residents that city council is robbing the city blind, schools are in shambles, law enforcement can't keep up and property taxes are being maxed year over year. They've gone as far as to say it will be a Chicago/Detroit type situation bc of the leadership. Is this an exaggeration that if you don't live in UP/HP it's not worth it?

About to go into option period on a home and the comments are making us take a step back.
Prices are still very low in Dallas for real estate and incomes are high so I think it could be sustainable for a while. The high property taxes should keep the house prices from escalating too high or at least set a ceiling on house prices so you will not likely make as much money on your house as we have been doing in Seattle/Portland/California. But you need to live somewhere so I think if you are likely going to living in Dallas for 5 years or longer, better to buy if you can afford it.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:32 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,397,061 times
Quote:
It’s easy to critique what I post but what are your solutions to the problem?
Unfortunately I don’t see any quick fix solutions. Simply put, you need to attract people as residents who are capable of adding value to a neighborhood. That will in turn draw in businesses to invest. Only two ways I can think of:

Gentrification maybe. I was shocked when I visited New York for the first time to discover that Brooklyn, birthplace of Biggie Smalls, no longer resembled the pictures he portrayed in his songs. It’s all gentrified now. But that took decades to occur. I don’t know how old you are, I’m 40 so waiting 20 plus years would not be worth it for me.
The other negative is that gentrification typically results in the original inhabitants getting priced out so again probably not what you would want.

The other option would involve a concerted, focused effort by the city investing in law and order, maybe building offices in the south, etc. Highly unlikely given the financial demands this would require, plus people north of downtown will never go for it.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:52 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,227,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
There is a lot of vacant land in Dallas. The city is not built out at all like people believe. If you only consider North Dallas...then yes. But there are numerous locations in Southern Dallas that’s semi rural. There are farms in Southern Dallas with cows/horses grazing. The I-20 corridor and Spur 408 doesn’t have a lot of heavy development.

Even if Dallas was built out, that’s still horrible population gains...
Great points, I would buy you a a beer in the real world.

Semi related to a lot of southern Dallas being under developed:

This is something that I think people miss when they discuss issues like "Food Deserts"

Southern Dallas is substantially more "Suburban" than Northern Dallas.

I think the Food Desert issue is two fold: One one hand it has to do with money.

The way poor people buy things is different (in smaller amounts, more based around when they get paid) This has an impact on how profitable it is to run a thing like a grocery store....the economics leads to more "Mini Marts" and less healthy food.

However, if you look at the definition of a food desert you will see that it is how far it is to the closest grocery store, usually under a mile or half a mile, depending on the preferred metric. It's designed for more urban areas than Southern Dallas.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.6859...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.6734...7i16384!8i8192

Neither of these look like places you would expect to be able to walk half a mile to a grocery store, hell walk half a mile to anything.

Now the Cockrell Hill spot (2nd Link) is actually under 10 min away from the WinCo in Duncanville via car (Top of the line, employee owned supermarket with great prices, check them out if you have never been)

That is the general trend. I estimate over 90% of South Dallas is an under 15 min drive from supermarket.

OK, cool, so what is my point?

Most people in Southern Dallas have a car, even the poor, but for those who do not, getting healthy food is logistically complicated in addition to economically hard.

If you are poor and careless in suburbia it is really, really hard. Most of Southern Dallas is suburbia, if not in name, by design.

You aren't supposed to be able to walk to the store.

Southern Dallas, south of Illinois (or Kiest perhaps on the eastern side of 35) as well as ALL of PG is very 1950s/60s+ car dependent suburbia (with a few minor exceptions) It is just barely far enough removed from it's streetcar suburban neighbors to not provide the semi urban amenities structures.

These areas would have been "Food Deserts" even when they were middle class, because you would be expected to drive a couple miles to the grocery store back then.

So why to we focus on the "Food Deserts" without trying to understand them? Well first off, it's a way people in NYC talk about poverty, so some people just don't understand the structural differences.

On the other hand, it provides a nice narrative. Consider Bonton Farms which was a massive waste of money. I'm big on gardening, I've done it my whole life, but understand that urban farms, by and large, are a stupid idea and don't really do much to help 95% of Southern Dallas that is already closer to vegetables at a grocery store.

TL;DR

Southern Dallas is more "Suburban" than Northern Dallas and the Dallas food deserts and isolation from jobs are what you get when you combine poverty, linear zoning, and low density burbs.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:14 PM

315 posts, read 222,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Great points, I would buy you a a beer in the real world.

Semi related to a lot of southern Dallas being under developed:

This is something that I think people miss when they discuss issues like "Food Deserts"

Southern Dallas is substantially more "Suburban" than Northern Dallas.

I think the Food Desert issue is two fold: One one hand it has to do with money.

The way poor people buy things is different (in smaller amounts, more based around when they get paid) This has an impact on how profitable it is to run a thing like a grocery store....the economics leads to more "Mini Marts" and less healthy food.

However, if you look at the definition of a food desert you will see that it is how far it is to the closest grocery store, usually under a mile or half a mile, depending on the preferred metric. It's designed for more urban areas than Southern Dallas.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.6859...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.6734...7i16384!8i8192

Neither of these look like places you would expect to be able to walk half a mile to a grocery store, hell walk half a mile to anything.

Now the Cockrell Hill spot (2nd Link) is actually under 10 min away from the WinCo in Duncanville via car (Top of the line, employee owned supermarket with great prices, check them out if you have never been)

That is the general trend. I estimate over 90% of South Dallas is an under 15 min drive from supermarket.

OK, cool, so what is my point?

Most people in Southern Dallas have a car, even the poor, but for those who do not, getting healthy food is logistically complicated in addition to economically hard.

If you are poor and careless in suburbia it is really, really hard. Most of Southern Dallas is suburbia, if not in name, by design.

You aren't supposed to be able to walk to the store.

Southern Dallas, south of Illinois (or Kiest perhaps on the eastern side of 35) as well as ALL of PG is very 1950s/60s+ car dependent suburbia (with a few minor exceptions) It is just barely far enough removed from it's streetcar suburban neighbors to not provide the semi urban amenities structures.

These areas would have been "Food Deserts" even when they were middle class, because you would be expected to drive a couple miles to the grocery store back then.

So why to we focus on the "Food Deserts" without trying to understand them? Well first off, it's a way people in NYC talk about poverty, so some people just don't understand the structural differences.

On the other hand, it provides a nice narrative. Consider Bonton Farms which was a massive waste of money. I'm big on gardening, I've done it my whole life, but understand that urban farms, by and large, are a stupid idea and don't really do much to help 95% of Southern Dallas that is already closer to vegetables at a grocery store.

TL;DR

Southern Dallas is more "Suburban" than Northern Dallas and the Dallas food deserts and isolation from jobs are what you get when you combine poverty, linear zoning, and low density burbs.

The city of Dallas wastes so much money on projects, they could/should start subsidizing grocery stores in these communities. I grew up in Pleasant Grove, in the 90s we had plenty of grocery stores, albeit sometimes a mile to 2 miles away. I saw the Tom Thumb leave, and become a Minyards to later become a 99cent only store. The Sack N Save went dark. Traditional grocery stores have models that support a higher disposable income crowd, such as bakeries, butchers, deli's, hot foods, florists, pharmacies, starbucks etc. The city could help support grocers with less frills to bring food to the people. But now that the current administration has declared beef jerky, nacho cheese and pickles to be part of a healthy balanced diet, the "food desert" statistics will skew and even less will be done.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:30 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,213,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
The city of Dallas wastes so much money on projects, they could/should start subsidizing grocery stores in these communities. I grew up in Pleasant Grove, in the 90s we had plenty of grocery stores, albeit sometimes a mile to 2 miles away. I saw the Tom Thumb leave, and become a Minyards to later become a 99cent only store. The Sack N Save went dark. Traditional grocery stores have models that support a higher disposable income crowd, such as bakeries, butchers, deli's, hot foods, florists, pharmacies, starbucks etc. The city could help support grocers with less frills to bring food to the people. But now that the current administration has declared beef jerky, nacho cheese and pickles to be part of a healthy balanced diet, the "food desert" statistics will skew and even less will be done.
^True words^

What's sad about Dallas is that it has all the momentum right now and the example of older and bigger cities to make SMART CHOICES. They need to start investing in the infrastructure, schools, transit, food options in the southern (and portions of the eastern) regions. I've read reports and what will eventually happen is people will tire of the hellish commute times and traffic from "Oklahoma" (Celina, Melissa, Denton, Prosper) as traffic continues to worsen, and house prices continue to rise.

The best functioning cities (The northeast cities of USA, Most of European cities, Japanese, Chinese cities) have mass transit and the northern reaches despite having all those powerhouse companies have minimal access to mass transit.

People will eventually look to the southern areas as the proximity to Downtown is a lot closer and the city and homes are much more affordable. Dallas would be well served to begin planning now so that new housing developments, and corporate jobs would come to the area and to work with neighboring suburbs. Grand Prairie is already beginning this move.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:40 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,227,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
See that is why I think the whole "Food Desert" metric is useless for Dallas.

Even when PG was middle Class, alot of it was "technically" a food desert. It would be nice to have more variety, but PG does have good several options for grocery stores. Kroger, Aldi, El Rancho, 2 Fiestas, and at least three (That I know of) local smaller chains (Foodland, and 2 Malones)

All of these places have fresh meat and veggies...I've shopped at most of them (like the actual location in PG) at some point or another.

If I moved to PG, got to keep my car and income, I could eat exactly the same as I do in Irving, as I did in Uptown (I rarely go to whole foods)

So that gets down to the bigger issues: Transportation and well, poverty itself.

This is why these projects are useless. Bonton Farms doesn't bring fresh food to people that don't already have veggies available...They do, at a grocery store in most cases closer to them than the urban farm.

That money could be better spent on having fresh food delivered to people who can't drive or getting reliable transportation for people who don't have a car.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:59 AM

298 posts, read 413,442 times
Quote:
Same trend in southeast Fort Worth. Folks get tired of fighting for basic amenities. I never quite understood why they are locating the majority of distribution centers, warehouses etc up north when the folks that really need the jobs are in southern half of the metro. Build a Amazon distribution center in places like South Oakcliff, Pleasant Grove or Fort Worth Stop Six community instead of up north in places that don’t need them. You bring good paying jobs into an area crime will decrease and people will take more pride in where they live.
There are plenty of Warehouse/Distribution centers in Southern Dallas County. Just look anywhere off of 20. You can't go a mile without seeing one. Just look at Mountain Creek in Southwest Dallas, they put around 15 large warehouses over there. Even off of 30, there are tons of distribution centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas