Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 09:48 PM

4 posts, read 4,479 times

Advertisements

Thanks again. I’ll definitely be checking out Central Plano. What about Richardson? Out of my price range? For what it’s worth, don’t need a 3000 sq ft house. We’re coming from 1750 sq ft. Would like something big enough where we can breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 08:42 AM

427 posts, read 487,225 times
Check out Glendover Park neighborhood in Allen and compare with with other areas you are looking in terms of schools, commute, surrounding areas, access to shopping (stonebriar mall, watters creek, village at allen and fairview, allen outlet malls), amenities, parks (glendover park, Allen natatorium, spirit park) etc. and then take a decision.

Advantages - easy access to Legacy/Plano west either via 121 or through inner roads, very good schools Elementary (Kerr Elementary) and Middle (Ereckson Middle School)- Allen high, check if you like a big high school, it performs well than most of the schools in Frisco except may be Liberty - but personally visit or look at scores, facilities, newly opened STEAM center, courses being offered there etc.

You will also have easy access to Richardson via 75 (free) and to downtown Dallas.

This home may be in your price range.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-11056?view=qv

Old 06-18-2019, 10:13 AM

1,074 posts, read 632,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Carrollton — in Hebron HS attendance zone
Plano — anywhere you find a home you like
Garland — in the Firewheel district
Agree with these. I would check Lewisville and Flower Mound also. Flower Mound feeding into Marcus is probably within price range, but don't think Flower Mound HS ("FloMo") neighborhoods would be.

I would never be as far out as Prosper or Celina - logistically going to downtown Dallas, any airport, any sporting event, it's just so far. Also, the further out you get, typically, the "whiter" it is, which I personally do not like for raising kids. I just think it is better to teach my kids to be around all races, religions, etc, but that's just me. FWIW- Richardson is the best suburb in the state!

Last edited by MarshaBrady1968; 06-18-2019 at 11:05 AM..

Old 06-18-2019, 10:19 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,120,304 times
Richardson or Garland commute is absolutely unnecessary. Instead of Carrollton with Hebron, try Plano with Hebron as property taxes are lower, commute shorter, city services superior, schools better and resale higher.

If you can find Plano-Plano ISD in your budget, small compromises on house are worth it. Just today, another big campus on Legacy was announced, I wouldn’t go further north, that commute is only getting worse.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-office-campus

Old 06-18-2019, 10:33 AM

139 posts, read 168,661 times
First, someone mentioned Firewheel in Garland. You might be able to get more reasonably priced homes over there but the commute to Legacy West is a non-starter in my book. Also, you'd be Garland ISD which can't compare to Plano, Frisco, or even Richardson ISD.

Richardson - the closest area is way out of your price range. The area near 75 should be in your price range but you are into much older (like 40-50 years) housing stock. The east side of town has areas of newer houses, but the commute is way too much from there.

The crux of your problem is that Legacy West is probably the most expensive real estate in Collin County. Real Estate prices have gone through the roof over the past 6 years or so. To the west, you may be able to find something cheaper but you'll be in worse (not bad) neighborhoods and school districts. East was mostly built up 20 years ago and there are few new houses. North is newer but already has traffic issues and with more construction it's going to get worse.

If I was in your shoes weighing commute, schools, and neighborhood in your price range, Central Plano would be my first pick though it will probably be a 20 year old home. if you want a newer house at the same price, you'll probably have to increase the commute to Frisco, Allen or one of the handful of new East Plano developments.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:22 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,578,877 times
I really don't get the emphasis on new (er) houses. My house was built in 2005 and is just fine. My neighborhood has mature trees. I am zoned to Frisco ISD but live in the town of Little Elm. Our city services are very good.

Remember in Texas, school districts are independent of city or county so you have to be sure where you are buying is in the right school district. It is very easy to check on the ISD's web site. Some ISDs include 3 or 4 cities, some cities have 2 or 3 ISDs.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:24 PM

9,545 posts, read 7,003,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Agree with these. I would check Lewisville and Flower Mound also. Flower Mound feeding into Marcus is probably within price range, but don't think Flower Mound HS ("FloMo") neighborhoods would be.
Those areas would make it a 20+ mile commute for the husband, and on toll roads.

Quote:
Also, the further out you get, typically, the "whiter" it is, which I personally do not like for raising kids. I just think it is better to teach my kids to be around all races, religions, etc, but that's just me.
You're assuming a lot about the OP and simultaneously judging millions of other parents in the DFW area.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:12 PM

1,074 posts, read 632,532 times
Quote:
Also, the further out you get, typically, the "whiter" it is, which I personally do not like for raising kids. I just think it is better to teach my kids to be around all races, religions, etc, but that's just me.
You're assuming a lot about the OP and simultaneously judging millions of other parents in the DFW area.

That's why I said "but that's just me"
Most of my close friends live way up there. Doesn't mean I hate them or think badly of them, but yes, they chose to raise their kids differently than I did. So what?

Old 06-18-2019, 02:54 PM

724 posts, read 521,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Quote:

That's why I said "but that's just me"
Most of my close friends live way up there. Doesn't mean I hate them or think badly of them, but yes, they chose to raise their kids differently than I did. So what?
Well, it's also not entirely correct. Huge chunks of Frisco are basically New Mumbai, it's not until you get to Oklahoma that it's really monoracial.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:56 PM

419 posts, read 548,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyg View Post
Allen is an alright city. I'm not a fan of their school district. It's not terrible or anything, but it has the highest tax rate in the area and they seem more focused on football than academics. McKinney and Allen commutes are going to be 30-45 mins each way.
None of this is true. Taxes in Allen are less than McKinney, Prosper, Celina, and many other Collin County cities. Not as low as Plano and Frisco, admittedly. There are several elementaries in Allen that consistently rank top 5 in the state, middle schools in the top 20. If you put stock in Niche (and Im not saying it's perfect) AISD is the highest ranked in all of Collin County. Statewide the only ISDs that rank higher in the Dallas area are Highland Park and Coppell. Folks love to hate on Allen but they have been doing incredible things in the schools.

I assure you most residents could care less about football. Is the size of the school polarizing? Yes. But you will find many residents in Allen love the fact that there is only one school. It eliminates (or at least minimizes) the east vs west mentality you find in many other cities like Plano and Frisco. It also allows a lot of academic opportunities smaller schools don't have. Football and the large class size make for good news stories but its hardly the focus for residents.

Lastly, I can get to Legacy West in less than 15 minutes. 20 at the height of rush hour.

All that said, while I think you might want to give Allen a look it isnt my first recommendation. I also wouldn't advise Prosper and Celina unless you really love the area. Many folks I know moved up there for starter homes and then move back south once they can afford it. Others move up there for the lot sizes and larger home for the money. If those things are important to you, then you might consider moving north. The commute on DNT every morning can be brutal (380 is worse), and will only continue to get worse as Frisco and Celina continue to build out.

For me, the high cost of tolls and wasted time in the car isn't worth it when you can get a great house in central Plano with excellent schools, lower taxes, and well within your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas